Craig CMP 738a Information

BlueDude

Apr 14, 2011
Is if worth updating? I have a spare CMP738a (bought two at $73 + tax). ... If I could get three people to chip in $20, I might give it to shadowreaper at xda. Since he broke his, looks like there will be no more custom roms. It might be good to keep Shad in the rom biz since Craig is coming out with so many new tablets.
As I understand it. SHAD's CMP738a died after he flashed the rom over 300 times.
Shad took the dead Craig back to his store (Zellers, since he lives in Canada) but Zellers has stopped selling the Craig 738a.
So the original problem was that he could not return the unit for a new unit.

In that regard, a simple solution would be for someone in the States (where CVS still carries the Craig CMP738 in the Eastern States and SouthEastern States [except Florida] )

Shad sends Craig to person in States
Person in States exchanges Shad's Craig for new one
Sends new Craig To Shad. (problem solved)

Ding Berry

Apr 7, 2011
Oh, cool, he should do that.

You can find most of the apps you need by doing a google search for the apk file. Use either an SD card or USB cable. No luck with flash yet. Went to Adobe and it said there was none.

Last edited:

mechanics200

Mar 30, 2011
Is it necessary to root again after updating to 2.2? Also surprised about the lack of Android Market since it was on the homescreen after I rooted the 2.1 firmware.

Ding Berry

Apr 7, 2011
Is it necessary to root again after updating to 2.2? Also surprised about the lack of Android Market since it was on the homescreen after I rooted the 2.1 firmware.

Market was included in Shad's rooted image files. He isn't making any more. Someone's going to have to pick up the baton.

If he wants to send me his busted unit to exchange, we have a ton around here.

Ding Berry

Apr 7, 2011
Z4root works!

Just d/l it, change the zip extension to apk, put it on your flash card or in a folder on the tab and use USB, install with ApkInstaller. It let me install Screenshot.

xda-developers

Here it is with Zeam 2.8.8 http://www.mediafire.com/?11d3omhqkqr2f1m

20110414211535.png.jpg

Edit: Crap, only temporary rooting works.

Last edited:

techyted

Apr 1, 2011
Downloaded and flashed the "official" Craig 2.2 last night.
Based on my very limited usage so far:

Pros:

- Craig actually provided an "official" 2.2 ROM. Good job! (Something not too many lower-end vendors have done.)
- I had an issue with connecting to a Cisco wireless access point under 2.1. Confirmed that it's now resolved in 2.2. (Was a known Android 2.1 problem.)
- Seems to be more stable overall than shad's early Froyo version. (I know my browser isn't constantly crashing as much.)
- Wifi connect seems to be slightly better for me overall. (May be a function of 2.2?)
- Power gadget brightness control actually has three distinct settings now. (Only two settings before and was an obvious bug.)
- Look under "Settings", "About Device", and "Battery use" - "Phone Standby" is no longer listed. .seems to be an improvement.

Cons

- Same ugly home screen locked with cheesy icons. And less wallpaper options than before. (Why couldn't they just leave the home screen alone and let us put what icons we want on there?)
- No Android Market. (SlideMe is not a complete market.)
- Angry Birds from Amazon App store won't install properly for me. (What no "Angry Birds"? That kills half the potential market.)
- No root of course. :( (Hopefully we will get that resolved.)
- Caffeine Mark is lower. Only about 1250 now. (Maybe they're under clocking to improve battery life?)
- And no Flash support..even "Flash-lite". I know they did state at one point they would provide it. (Maybe sometime in the future?)

I'll continue to play and report.

Last edited:

Ding Berry

Apr 7, 2011
Install Zeam and it will look almost exactly like Shad's 4.3 rom.

Zeam 2.8.8 here http://www.mediafire.com/?11d3omhqkqr2f1m

Edit: I went back to Shad's 4.3. Runs smoother, rooted, Market. Reinstalled everything. One good thing, Advanced Task Manager has been updated and it kicks azz. It's a killing machine.

Last edited:

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
After a month plus with mine, I gave up on this otherwise great unit (for the money) when even the 2.2 update did not help it connect with my WPA AP's at home. If anything, it was even less able to connect. I have connected a dozen or more different devices to the AP's including other Android tablets, so there was something not right about this Craig. It had been doing decently with my one WEP AP, but even that connection had become unreliable in the last week or so.

Back it went to CVS. I will be checking out other low-to-midrange units as they proliferate. Good luck to the rest of y'all with yours.
:(

Last edited:

techyted

Apr 1, 2011
After a month plus with mine, I gave up..

Sorry yours had a problem. My wifi was a littl flaky at first, but since a switch to ch. 6, it's doing fine at home :)

EDIT: After using the Wifi for a few more days, it still seems to work fine with my el cheapo 802.11g router at home and free wifi spots like Starbucks.

At work, they have multiple high-end Cisco routers and the Craig has a hard time locking onto a single router. It connects to one..then....disconnects and tries to connect to another one constantly seeking. Very frustrating. Not sure if this is a Craig hardware thing or an Android 2.2 thing. I don't remember it being this bad under 2.1 for that particular issue. Otherwise I am preferring the 2.2 rom

Last edited:

leggazoid

Apr 23, 2011
How do I integrate ad-hoc into craig 2.2 rom? I have tried to use the rooted image to copy the file into the /system/bin folder. Can not seem to get the write permissions. Someone please help.

leggazoid

Apr 23, 2011
I had some success, but mostly failure. I flashed back to the Shad 4.3 rom which allowed me to push the wpa_supplicant file into /system/bin. The wpa_supplicant in the ad_hoc signed zip would not work on craig cmp738a tablet. I guess someone will have to compile wpa_supplicant with the patch that will work on this tablet. Does anyone have any ideas how to make this work?

Edit: Found the answers...

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/16738-how-to-setup-tether-to-phone-on-craig-cmp38a/

Last edited:

Kellygirl

Jun 18, 2011
yeah..i CANNOT get onto mine. at library. craigs list..at home. WTH????? anyone have a solution for me. it says it connects, but when i go to open browser, it doesnt open.

beastman

May 8, 2011
At home you might need to open security then reenable it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

techkid

Nov 21, 2011
Managed to exchange it at the CVS no questions asked. The clerk didn't even open the box to see if everything was there.
Got it home and flashed it using the 4.3 build and installed the recommended apps.
It's VERY stable and seems to be running much faster, smoother, and cooler than the tab I turned in.
The last tab tended to heat up a tad too much for my liking, this unit stays cool.
Thanks again for all the help fellers!

I am getting this tablet for Christmas and i am trying to make sure i have all the information so that if it doesn't work well that i can fix it. How would i go about flashing it and making it run better, if i need to.