Craig CMP738B Root with working Android Market and Clean ROM IMG file

scuzz21

Jan 7, 2012
I am having issues with the market saying download unsuccessful. I rooted 2 tablets no problem. One works great but the other is having downloading issues. It worked at first but now has stopped. When I click the app and hit install I get the download arrow at the top for a second, then the gray bar saying "download unsuccessful". Anybody have any ideas? Can I just re-root again? Have tried a million things factory reset, new google account, clearing caches, but nothing works.

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
force close it using task kill and reboot the tablet. I had to do that a few times. But the problem was that my wifi would hiccup and mess up the DL.

Also it could be app that you installed and its messing it up. do you remember if what app you installed right before it started to mess up on you. That also happened to me to But this is a common android problem.

Last edited:

scuzz21

Jan 7, 2012
All apps have been removed from card and tablet. As for the tasks the market is not listed, just the Market uploader. I have access to the market just cannot download. My Wifi signal is at a constant 3 bars but I do rarely get hiccups. I have spen hours combing threads with this common problem so it would be easier to just reflash and start over but is that possible?

bmic99

Dec 6, 2011
hey m3red I dont mean to be negitave but there is no way in hell honeycomb 3 will ever run on this slow tablet... android 2.2.1 which is on it now is sluggish still even after rooted so forth and so on, even trying to free up some storage by moving apps to sd card wont help b/c even though you may move to externalsd it still leaves reminits of data storage in the ram partition area... and to make matters worse we are left with just under 80-100mb of storage/swap/cache heck... IF WE Have this many problem with a much DUMBed down OS as 2.2.1 where you think your goping to get the extra horsepower to run a more demanding OS....kinda like when xp upgraded to VISTA and things were way slow if you had less then 512mb of ram.... it was bad...

not to mention even if you get a workin cputweak app to work and you show me a screenshot of the cpu actually clocked at 1.1ghz or w/e I am not showing any major inprovements... HEck iget a better speedboost if i disable WIFI over the cputweak....

I dont want to come off to negitave but I was fiddling around all day trying to find the right fix but seeing as we are limited to about 128mb ram and no real hardware graphics processer... I dont see where you are going to meet honeycombs requirements... and if you do get it running.... this slow processer will be maxed out 100% just rending the app shortcut!... bah i see no real future for this thing

but who am I to say anything i'm still kinda new to this but all you have to do is use one of your friends smart phones with android installed and you will see what im talking about... heck EVERYTHING thing about this tablet is laggy....oh yeah batterylife is horrible too....with one excepton... disable WIFI and then what... lol

Im done ranting goodluck attempiting to run 3.0 (I STILL THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING ME FIX my wifi.... that is what this topic was about afterall anyway) laters

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
I wish who put the good post with the picture after flush.img update showing Marketplace would also tell us how he or anyone overcame the wifi issue. Thank you for any info
huangjh.jpg

huanght.jpg

huanggd.jpg

huangam.jpg

.:)

If your getting a wifi error and used the flush rom youll have to use the realtek root rom. Please read post #1 and read the thread - please read before flashing roms - if you need realtek rooted rom where it says CLICK HERE for realtek rooted rom. Click that link. Both thread show that wifi has been fix but you have to know which wifi hardware have first. So please read the threads fully and it show what was done to fix the problems that we have ran in to with the wifi.

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
Craig uses 2 wifi hardwares in the cmp738b. Thats why we were get the wifi errors. Ralink is the oldest and realtek is the newest one. I believe Aug or sept is when they went to the realtek hardware.

Curiousnoob

Dec 25, 2011
Craig uses 2 wifi hardwares in the cmp738b. Thats why we were get the wifi errors. Ralink is the oldest and realtek is the newest one. I believe Aug or sept is when they went to the realtek hardware.

To be honest, that's kinda hard to tell. I've been offline of this site for some time now, and came back and see what you guys found. I found that my sister has the other wifi chip, and mine had the Realtek chip. I turned my Tablet in for a refund, but that's not the point, They were both manufactured in Aug, and everything. But different Wifi chips.

Also, people who try the Terminal Emulator, make sure your SD card is not mounted, and the charger is not in. Or you get this
strange text.
My 3mp camera, but it's the best I can do. :p$IMG_20120107_215751.jpg

Hammerfest

Jan 7, 2012
kinda like when xp upgraded to VISTA and things were way slow if you had less then 512mb of ram.... it was bad...

Just wanted to mention here that your comment is definitely accurate... BUT, only to the point where from XP to Windows 7 was worlds apart from XP to Windows Vista :p

That being said, Id love to see a tip CM7 (not gonna happen) of 2.3.7 because on every device I have used there has been an unreasonable performance boost vs running 2.2.x, so even getting 2.3.x on this device would be FAN-EFFING-TASTIC...

That being said, I think if they got an ICS build running on my HTC HeroC, Im sure it could run on this device...

That being said (broken record?), if someone could get CWM or TWRP and/or something to help modify the partition structure, wed have an arse load of flexibility and be able to push this little cheap-o to its literal limits!

Like I said, considering I have an HTC HeroC running ICS (and 2.3.7), and it still manages to run WORLDS better then 2.2 when on the device (even tweaked customized 2.2.x rom's...), gives me hope that if someone could get their virtual "freak" on with this device for CWM/RePartitioning capabilitys... I would probably pick a few of these up for my many Niece's and Nephew's...

Hammerfest

Jan 7, 2012
Okie, I must be doing something wrong, did a factory reset on this thing, erased everything from internal storage as well, fresh formatted 3 different MicroSD cards, renamed the file, and still... it just starts up to setup calibration...

Am I missing something? I followed the instructions from a fresh factory reset and got nada... (Sep2011 Realtek WiFi version)

EDIT: ok, got it to work, had to do it while the craig was on using the insert/eject method...

Id like to point out some thinigs, with this rom, it says its a CMP738a, and the kernel and build numbers are OLDER (by at least 4 months) then what was originally present on the device.
Now as to the above points, I can only ASS-U-ME that its like this because its based on the update and image of the "A" revision, as well as a dump from the CMP738b with a build date PRIOR to September of 2011

So if someone could manage to get a dump of a Sep2011 or newer unit (like mine was before I rushed head-long into this ROM :D ), we might have a nicer base/kernel to make a "clean" img from.

Also any change of making a clean img with an up-to-date market and SU?

Thanks OP, count me as #2 with working WiFi for Realtek

EDIT2: A small portion of REALLY BAD news... while WiFi on the unit works... if I try to use the WiFi on any of my other Android devices... this thing RAPES them/and-or my router... soon as I tried to connect with my HD2, boom, laptop+desktop lost WiFi, and the Craig lost WiFi... had to reset router, but once I try to use the Craig... BOOM... really strange! EDIT3: This probably came along because I removed something with TB that I shouldn't have.. (removed like half the crap present)... cant initiate the update with insert/eject method, sunofa... hope I didnt trash this unit.. EDIT4: not fubared as far as doing a factory reset restored all apps... HOWEVER, I still cannot connect to WiFi... does scanning, connecting, obtaining IP, then goes blank for a moment then repeats...

FinalEdit:
WiFi just doesnt want to connect anymore, even took it next door and tried to connect their, tried re-flashing and factory reset, but it does the same thing... Ill keep an eye on this thread, hopefully someone will be able to make a dump of the ROM that was originally on this thing so I can restore it to "factory" defaults or try a version thats modified from it and not the "A" revision of the device...

Last edited:

stevez_86

Jan 5, 2012
You guys are awesome!!! Thanks for the hard work. A small note... i had to mount the sd card with the update while the device was on.

Now, is there a thread on really good apps for this device?

Sent from my rk2818sdk using Android Tablet Forum

Jhaea

Dec 11, 2011
Worked like a charm on mine! I was burned previously on a Craig I have since returned (before the chip difference was discovered), waited awhile to see how this root went before I was able to convince my hubby to let me try "just one more time" on the replacement. I had to eject and remount the SD card for it to read the root--then everything went as it should. Wifi worked after I shut it off and then turned it on again. Amazon market works! Downloaded the Kindle and Nook Apps without a problem! The only thing that seems different is the screen tilt reaction--when I turn it vertical or horizontal, it takes a bit for it to catch up with me whereas before it was a pretty smooth transition. Downloading CPUBoost and Penguin Web Browser (Rumor has it that I may be able to get flash working that way!). So far, I feel it's worth the $75 I spent on it. Very happy, thanks to the work VDub and M3red put into this thing. You are the best!

Hammerfest

Jan 7, 2012
Clean dumps of both versions have already been posted.

Where can I find a crash dump thats in the update.img format? Id like to restore this tablet to its stock image

The only One I have found is in the first post, but it is of, lets call it "revision_v1" of the CMP738B, and not "revision_v2" (IE MFG After Sep 2011)

Last edited: