Craig CMP738B Root with working Android Market and Clean ROM IMG file

vdubbus77

Nov 29, 2011
Has anyone with the wifi problem tried flashing with the RK upgrade utility? The method shown here
? Though some have had success flashing with the SD card I have never tried it myself. My build date is Aug 11. Remember the Roms on his link WILL brick your tablet.

Last edited by a moderator:

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
Roms on the Youtube link?

I would like to find a way to soft root it. Maybe trying a new OS so it wouldnt brink it doing a hard root.

Last edited:

nawafpower

Nov 30, 2011
My WIFI was off and USB mode was off and rooted using the "CraigCMP738BFlushs.img" and got the WIFI error, does anyone know how to go back? did any one try the "CMP738brootedROM.img " successfully after a WIFI error problem? the bad news that I have read that a guy tried the "CraigCMP738BOrigRom.img " and now he can't start his tablet? what is going on? is someone trying to set us up with failed tablets or what? please help.

bandarlog

Dec 21, 2011
Just when this thread started, I rooted with flushs rom and managed to kill my CMP738b's wifi as per the experience of others (wifi had been turned on). I tried rooting with shad's ROM then and wifi was still dead. Tried restoring the original ROM and still no wifi. I tried many power cycles and resets, and even ran the battery down to nothing and did a recharge, but to no avail. I finally exchanged the unit after restoring the factory ROM.

Is there any confirmation yet that turning off the wifi prior to rooting will prevent killing it?

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
75% of CMP738B has wifi problems. Rooted or not. I had wifi problems before i rooted mine. All i had to did is turn the wifi on and off and fixed it. Now after the root i dont have any wifi problems. My CMP738B was made in June 2011.

vdubbus77

Nov 29, 2011
Just when this thread started, I rooted with flushs rom and managed to kill my CMP738b's wifi as per the experience of others (wifi had been turned on). I tried rooting with shad's ROM then and wifi was still dead. Tried restoring the original ROM and still no wifi. I tried many power cycles and resets, and even ran the battery down to nothing and did a recharge, but to no avail. I finally exchanged the unit after restoring the factory ROM.

Is there any confirmation yet that turning off the wifi prior to rooting will prevent killing it?

People have confirmed that turning the Wifi off does not help. I am hoping that someone with the wifi problem will try flashing with the RK utility supplied with the Youtube link above. If a different Flash method does not help then people need to stop flashing these roms. Maybe they changed the wifi adapter in the units? Maybe they are just crap?

nawafpower

Nov 30, 2011
Guys, please no one try the demo on youtube, it's made for the CMP738a, I already tried it and bricked mine, and had to replace it. Now tried the Flush version with WIFI off did also kill my wifi, my wifi was working just fine before rooting, I was connected to three different wifi's and was doing great. Now it's not working at all, I'm scared to try anything else unless many guys confirmed it working. I can't replace my unit again I have to look for solutions now, so please if any one find even a way to go to factory reset with out causing it to brick will be good for now, since a tablet without wifi is un-usable. and by the way, mine was made August 2011. Thanks

vdubbus77

Nov 29, 2011
Guys, please no one try the demo on youtube, it's made for the CMP738a, I already tried it and bricked mine, and had to replace it. Now tried the Flush version with WIFI off did also kill my wifi, my wifi was working just fine before rooting, I was connected to three different wifi's and was doing great. Now it's not working at all, I'm scared to try anything else unless many guys confirmed it working. I can't replace my unit again I have to look for solutions now, so please if any one find even a way to go to factory reset with out causing it to brick will be good for now, since a tablet without wifi is un-usable. and by the way, mine was made August 2011. Thanks

Your not supposed to Flash the Roms on the Youtube link to your tablet! You are supposed to use the method described in the video with the roms posted on this thread. Only use the RKAndroidBatchUpgrade software in the RKutils.zip. BTW this method allows you to flash a bricked tablet.

Last edited:

KendraPlanet

Dec 17, 2011
Your not supposed to Flash the Roms on the Youtube link to your tablet! You are supposed to use the method described in the video with the roms posted on this thread.

The method in the video is not the same as described by the OP of this thread (one example: "no button pushing").

Several of us have "working" rooted (and non-bricked) units but with no Wi-Fi (even after a "factory reset"). :(

vdubbus77

Nov 29, 2011
I created the Roms that the OP put up. They were in a thread for people who bricked their tablets Flashing Roms for a CMP738a on to a CMP738B. It said "If you have already bricked your tablet, by all means try these" "Only tested on my tablet" If your tablet is bricked you cannot Flash by renaming the file and putting it on the SD card because the tablet will not boot. You must use a utility to flash it. I personally NEVER once flashed from my SD card. I have working root and wifi on my August 2011 CMP738B using all three Roms including a 4th that is an unsupported CyanogenMod7 port. That being said, I have no idea whether or not a different Flash method will work it is just how I did it. One does need to ask "What is the problem?" Did Craig change hardware in the tablets mid run? Is the Rom off of my Tablet different than yours? Is the method of flash causing the Wifi driver module not to load? Or are they all just crap? Having a rooted tablet with no Wifi is not a solution and a 50% success rate is hardly ideal. I have already offered 2 solutions, dump another Rom off of a newer build tablet before ruining the wifi (rk cooking utility), try a different flash method (youtube link) again do not use the Roms on the youtube video. A third option open up the tablet and get the numbers off of the wifi dongle to compare.

BTW. I haven't seen anything mentioned about anyone trying the reset button on the tablet.

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
Vdub did a great job on this rom. Like it said try it at our own risk. For a $100 tablet please dont think it would 100% forfeel your tablet dreams. I also might add its the first for the cmp738b.

Sent from my Craig CMP738B using Android Market and Android Tablet Forum App