Craig CMP738B Root with working Android Market and Clean ROM IMG file

mrkillmoney

Dec 22, 2011
Just rooted it following the above info, and I made sure to turn wi-fi off and she is running better than ever ! kuddos everyone, you guys are awesome, am surfing market now, any app to recommend for this particular machine? (feel free to skip any games...)

bandarlog

Dec 21, 2011
Followed vdub's advice and used the RK utility shown in the posted Youtube video instead of the SD card method. The RKAndroidBatchUpgrade utility performed flawlessly. I *did* turn off the wifi before doing the procedure (yeah, I know, Brave, Brave Sir Robin...). It bears repeating; DO NOT USE the 738a imag files mentioned in the video, but instead use 738b img files.

Tip: The buttons on the tablet protrude. Put something flat across both buttons (not all 3) so you have a bigger area to press down on--I used a dental floss box and held it down with the heel of my palm. The fresh boot after the upgrade *does* take a long time (maybe 5 mins?-- the guy who made the video fast-forwards that step), so just be patient.

After booting, wifi came up w/o problems. Screen response is *significantly* improved--thx the great work vdub, and Merry Christmas!

My unit was made in September 2011.

Echoes

Dec 16, 2011
Great post vdubbus7 thank you for making these roms. :)

Sent from my rk2818sdk using Android Tablet Forum

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
Just rooted it following the above info, and I made sure to turn wi-fi off and she is running better than ever ! kuddos everyone, you guys are awesome, am surfing market now, any app to recommend for this particular machine? (feel free to skip any games...)

I like the AndroidTablets.net forum app

Vdub What did you use to repackage the img file and whats a good program to work with APK files?

Sent from my Craig CMP738B using Android Market and Android Tablet Forum App

Last edited:

abonnick

Dec 23, 2011
after i rooted it, i chose the android launcher. there was an option for zeam and that's what i'd like to switch it to now but i cant figure it out.

Echoes

Dec 16, 2011
Go kto settings, then applications, manage applications, all, then find and click on launcher. Clear its defaults then press your home icon. It will prompt you again.

Dec 23, 2011
Hi,
I have a Craig CMP738b tablet that I would like to get the market for. I have read all (that I could find) posts on how to do this. My question is: how do I get the flush file (downloaded & renamed) from my computer? I'm usually not this lame, but this tablet was purchased just as a backup, and I'm used to computers, but not this. I have been working with it right out of the box, but it was lagging so much! I did a factory reset (in settings, not button on back of device), have a clean, formatted micro sd in it, but can't figure out (without plugging tablet into my desktop PC?) how to get file on tablet? Help! You guys are great- thanks!

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
First make sure that your SD card is in FAT32 format. Then Mount the SD card in to your computer. Rename the file to update.img on your computer. Copy and paste the file on to your SD card using your computer. Unmount your SD card from your computer and Remount into your tablet. Please read ALL OF THE POST BEFORE ROOTING YOUR TABLET. MAY CAUSE YOUR WIFI TO HAVE ERRORS. Some have wifi problems after the root and some dont. So please root at your own risk.

If you do root it Please Thank Vdub for his hard work. :)

On the other Note. Iv been thinking about Getting the HoneyComb CMP738B Rom and trying to make it work on my CMP738B.. Vdub what do you think? Or atleast trying to get Adobe Flash 10 or 11 to work on it. If i could Flash to work i think Netflix app to fully work.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2011
First make sure that your SD card is in FAT32 format. Then Mount the SD card in to your computer. Rename the file to update.img on your computer. Copy and paste the file on to your SD card using your computer. Unmount your SD card from your computer and Remount into your tablet. Please read ALL OF THE POST BEFORE ROOTING YOUR TABLET. MAY CAUSE YOUR WIFI TO HAVE ERRORS. Some have wifi problems after the root and some dont. So please root at your own risk.

If you do root it Please Thank Vdub for his hard work. :)

On the other Note. Iv been thinking about Getting the HoneyComb CMP738B Rom and trying to make it work on my CMP738B.. Vdub what do you think? Or atleast trying to get Adobe Flash 10 or 11 to work on it. If i could Flash to work i think Netflix app to fully work.

I SO wish I would have read more about the posts on wifi... I've lost mine completely. Yes, it rooted, but no wifi. Is it a goner? I was so happy to see it booted right up rooted- and I did have wifi OFF- that part I thought I did right. :( So bummed. I read (can't find that post now?) that someone had luck by installing original rom instructions on youtube video (but not to use the a rom) but I can't find the rom to use? Also, link to youtube video. Thank you to any for helping, realize it's my fault. :(

vdubbus77

Nov 29, 2011
Use the youtube instructions but flash the roms from this thread.

Curiousnoob

Dec 25, 2011
Hello, Just got one of these, got annoyed with no Android Market. So I did the root method, it successfully installed, but Wifi error. Can I reflash it to default? Or is there a method to get it working?

KendraPlanet

Dec 17, 2011
Hello, Just got one of these, got annoyed with no Android Market. So I did the root method, it successfully installed, but Wifi error. Can I reflash it to default? Or is there a method to get it working?

Nope. Seems like once WiFi is gone on these things, it's gone permanently. :(