Craig CMP738B Root with working Android Market and Clean ROM IMG file

Mudder

Dec 25, 2011
Your wifi is working?

Sent from my Craig CMP738B using Android Market and Android Tablet Forum App. Rooted, Overclocked 1.13ghz CPU Store 1678, HoneyComb Theme, CaffeineMark and CPUboost

Yes, WIFI works perfectly.

Mudder

Dec 25, 2011
Were you getting just "ERROR" under WiFi before you tried the CraigCMP738BFlushs.img method or was it something else? Thanks!

That is correct, Just "ERROR" When I flashed the CraigCMP738BFlushs.img WIFI came right back up and works perfectly.

Did you try the method that Vdubbus77 suggested back on page 5 (Pots #43)? My WIFI was working before I flashed and rooted and I turned it off before flashing. Don't know if it makes a difference or not because I'm a noob when it comes to android. I bought this one as a low cost "Toy" to fool around with and experiment with in order to learn something about the android system.

nawafpower

Nov 30, 2011
I created the Roms that the OP put up. They were in a thread for people who bricked their tablets Flashing Roms for a CMP738a on to a CMP738B. It said "If you have already bricked your tablet, by all means try these" "Only tested on my tablet" If your tablet is bricked you cannot Flash by renaming the file and putting it on the SD card because the tablet will not boot. You must use a utility to flash it. I personally NEVER once flashed from my SD card. I have working root and wifi on my August 2011 CMP738B using all three Roms including a 4th that is an unsupported CyanogenMod7 port. That being said, I have no idea whether or not a different Flash method will work it is just how I did it. One does need to ask "What is the problem?" Did Craig change hardware in the tablets mid run? Is the Rom off of my Tablet different than yours? Is the method of flash causing the Wifi driver module not to load? Or are they all just crap? Having a rooted tablet with no Wifi is not a solution and a 50% success rate is hardly ideal. I have already offered 2 solutions, dump another Rom off of a newer build tablet before ruining the wifi (rk cooking utility), try a different flash method (youtube link) again do not use the Roms on the youtube video. A third option open up the tablet and get the numbers off of the wifi dongle to compare.

BTW. I haven't seen anything mentioned about anyone trying the reset button on the tablet.

Hi, My Craig tablet is also August, 2011. was working fine, tried the root from SD card caused me a wifi error, just finished the "RK Batch upgrade utility" and finished successfully but still with wifi error. you mentioned that I can dump w rom from a working non rooted tablet, what is the utility for that? and if the other ones where september 2011 will that make any difference? what if I tried using Original Rom to be flushed into the tablet using the "RK Batch upgrade utility" will that return it to a working wifi? i don't want the damn root, just want my wifi back..

vdubbus77

Nov 29, 2011
For how to dump search for rkcooking on Google. As far as flashing the stock rom try it, what will it hurt at this point? Before flashing with rkutility remove SD card and do a factory reset.

Sent from my Droid using Android Tablet Forum

nawafpower

Nov 30, 2011
I just finished trying all three images using the RK Utility from youtube video, nothing changes, the only change between rooted and flushed is that flushed said fail to start wifi , while others said wifi error. if wifi is gone for ever that is really a bad new. What do you think Guys?

nawafpower

Nov 30, 2011
This is my first experience with Android, I'm an Apple guy, and nothing ever will convince me to leave Apple for Android OS after this terrible experience. System restore doesn't return tablet to factory setting?? Then why they named it factory restore? they should name it Guess what? your reset will never do you any good. This is the worst experience I had with an electronic device with a very bad tech support.Even if you tried to call Customer services, you will wait for ever then they will ask for your number to return a call which will never happen.
Have anyone tried to uninstall wifi app and re-install? Oh!! re-install by what mean? forgot no internet. OMG.

Last edited:

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
Even if you dont have internet working wifi you still can load it on to your tablet by using SD card and laptop.
I'm also a apple guy. Iv hacked RIM and apple ISO. So android was my next stop. So iv been playing around and learning the Android system. I think its a kool system and i like it being open source. Android has alot of freedom at you dont have in other OS's. Right now im loading all the android SDK's and im going to try to make HoneyComb work on the CMP738B.. Atleast thats my goal.

KendraPlanet

Dec 17, 2011
Even if you dont have internet working wifi you still can load it on to your tablet by using SD card and laptop.

How?

I'm new to toying with Android, and I guess my mistake is trying to liken this to a Windows OS.

Assuming the WiFi "ERROR" message is software and not hardware-based, I thought (as did others) that restore should've brought the WiFi back (again, I'm basing this on Windows knowledge -- like system restore or OS reinstall).

I keep thinking there must be drivers I can reinstall to get the WiFi working again. That's the missing piece of the puzzle I don't have.

What WiFi file can you reinstall and from where (since most easily-found apps are just "toy" apps and not actual working drivers or utilities)?

Again, Windows OS? Not a problem. I can find the drivers online, download, good to go. With Android? I need a hint.

Thanks

grumpygirl

Dec 26, 2011
I am very new to tablets but bought them for my kids. My son has a 738a and it was rooted very nicely by a friend of mine. The 738b however has been a disaster. I rooted it exactly like I was told here. I downloaded the flush file, renamed it "update.img" and moved it to a SD card and it updated nicely. Wifi said "error" after that. It worked prior to doing it and I turned it off before updating the tablet. So I went and downloaded the OrigRom.img and renamed it update.img and then it came back saying that it could not start it. Is there any way to get the wifi to work or is it completely doomed?

Curiousnoob

Dec 25, 2011
Im trying to get down to the source of the wifi problems. i posted a idea i had but ill help from people that have wifi problems. Here the thread i posted on what i think it may be the source. If its a software problem or a error in writing the config for the wifi.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/craig-tablets/29685-wifi-problems-rooted-users-please-check.html
Wish I seen this post before I returned the Tablet. Although, I told my parents I did nothing to it. Rite-Aid accepted the device as if I gave them money like it was no problem. Will be checking this thread more often, as I took a liking to chatting with you guys. Also, is there any chance of developing a custom recovery?

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
Iv been thinking about trying to get another just to make it crash and trying different things to make it work.

Update - 33% on downloading Android 3.2 SDK.. Then i gotta find out how to input all the drivers and other things.

Last edited:

lisaRN

Dec 27, 2011
A little help. I purchased two of these tablets before Christmas. Began research for Netflix which brought me to this thread. My tablets were working fine at first, wifi that is. I had not began any root, flash or anything and yet started having problems with wifi. It comes and goes. The tablets OS locks up at times, scans for wifi, may find it, or tell me I'm out of range. I'm no way out of range though. I've tried everything. It is even a problem on someone else's router. When I do get wifi, I can't download any apps. So at this point I decided to try a root, flash on my SD card. I have read every thread and no matter what I try. I can not get my tablet to regonize anything on my card. Yes, I unmounted and mounted it. I tried the usb route, just to see if my computer would see my tablet and it doesn't. I'm lost, is it that I am downloading in the wrong order, tried a different order, or is it that I am not formatting my SD card correctly? I did both default and fat32. Should it be quick format or DOS? UGH! I just know it has to be something I am doing wrong, it is obvious I'm not the brightest at this SH*t! Did I brick it without even realizing it?