Craig CMP741e Tablet ICS 4.0.3 Review, Has Allwinner A10 CPU

Louie66

Dec 26, 2012
Hi, i just download the driver package you sugested, snd i dont know what is the next step, how to install it on the tablet. Please help me out with this. Thanks!

raphael41271

Dec 27, 2012
I have read the tutorials and trying to root my 741e but i cannot find anywhere in the settings where it alows me to enable usb debugging.

CMP741e
Android version 4.0.3
Kernel Version 3.0.3+
Build number CMP741E_0626_v2.0

ziddey

Jan 1, 2013
the developer menu is hidden.

however, usb debugging is enabled by default. you should see it in the notification popup area, however you call it in the tablet world.

you can tap it to get into the developer menu

Last edited:

jamonthis

Jan 6, 2013
Is anyone else having issues with games that use the Accelerator IE: temple run. I cant get it to work right.

Philbriz

Jan 6, 2013
Hi, i just download the driver package you sugested, snd i dont know what is the next step, how to install it on the tablet. Please help me out with this. Thanks!

Hi I had the same problem and found that when the USB cable is plugged in the option will now be there when it was not when unplugged. Hope that helps. Keep plugging it is tedious but doable with persistence.

eggiecpad

Jan 9, 2013
kylemedutis on page 3 of this thread is spot on with regards to rooting. I got one of these at one of the local longs drugstores in Honolulu after the clerk said it was $49 us on sale from 99 "christmas" price. After rooting one and playing a bit with it, I went back the next day and to my surprise they had a 50% off sale on "select Christmas stock" so the next two tablets were $24.99. I then rushed around the island looking for any remaining tablets at out of the way longs (found 11 total for $25). Rooted them all, installed the google play and other apps (along with g-voice) and now have 6 for my classroom and my birthday gifts for the next year taken care of. Note, VNC and ssh servers run well and allow me to show students tablets on the overhead projector in class, ... bottom line impression:

-- without rooting, the terrrrrrible battery life and poor volume to speakers would make this a marginal tablet at best for 99 (since many of the apps and tweaks are not easily installed without the play store)
-- with rooting, tweaking and some key apps, this is a spectacular $25 capacitive/multitouch/ICS tablet. I purchased 14 for less than the two Costco samsung tabs I got in December.

also, for hardware hackers... if you were just parting out what is in the box: $7 worth of cables, $5 power brick, $8 lipo, $15 lcd/touch screen, $20 Arm processor board capable of linux/android, with reasonable ram, microSD, and usb-host capabilities (beats arduino, beaglebone and most offerings under $50 other than ras pi's) -- it's a real deal at $20 or even 50. One of my 741's is going to meet my soldering iron...

I'll give it a go, but if anyone has a good set of tweaks to tune the 60/1000 mHz clock/power to get reasonable battery life (goal: >4hrs with radio off) I'd love to hear of your solution. But for now, my classroom tabs only have to persist through 1.5 hour classes.

Cheers,
eggie

Gone2Maui

Jan 9, 2013
I tried using the instructions in Post #29, but when I run windowsstart.bat from RootThat-ICS in Admin mode a see a window for a fraction of a second and then it disappears. I am able to access the tablet folders from my Win7 64 bit system, so I think everything is OK on the USB side.

All help appreciated.

taydau1

Jan 10, 2013
From Windows 7, I simply just ran the RootThat.jar file. First time around, I was having problems with RootThat.jar finding my device, so I had to add the following the device to my adb_usb.ini file (found at %USER%/.android folder), the file now reads:
# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
0x2207

Once 0x2207 was added to the dab_usb.ini file, it was recognized by RootThat.jar and easily rooted, and installed gapps. FYI: the 2207 is the hex for the device instance ID: "USB\VID_2207&PID_0000&..." Lotsaluck!

Gone2Maui

Jan 9, 2013
Thanks. I needed to download the Java SDK first. In fact, it wouldn't work with the 64 bit Java but 32bit worked just fine. It is now rooted and need to figure out what I want to do next. Upgrade to Jelly Bean maybe.

highroller

Jan 11, 2013
I have the same tablet. I followed the instructions here and rooted it successfully. It works great, but the battery life sucks. One full charge lasts less than 4 hours. When I went to Setting->Battery, I found that 75% of the battery time is used for Cell Standby. This is a tablet, not a cellphone, why is there a cell standby? Does anyone here know how to fix it or turn off the cell radio? Theoretically, it should be able to last 16 hours if it's not because of cell standby... huge difference!

Thanks.

mastermind278

Jan 13, 2013
Does anyone know who to turn USB Debugging back on once it is turned off? Thanks!
USB debugging should be enabled by default when you plug in your Tablet to your computer, you should notice it on the notification bar.

If you somehow disabled it (while the Tablet was connected to the computer), you can try to edit the build.prop (/system/build.prop)
and add the following:
#USB debugging ON
persist.service.adb.enable=1

Otherwise there are also a few apps on the Play Store that will work if you install them as a System App such as ADB Toggle, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ramdroid.adbtoggle
Just make sure you have superSU or SU installed before hand.
--> I just disabled USB Debugging and then I had no option to turn it back on. Using ADB Toggle it worked to get it back on, though it did require a reboot.

But I'd first plug it into the computer and then look on notifications and you should have the USB Debug options.

Last edited:

bartenderck

Jan 12, 2013
I want to use this cheap tablet as a remote but the darn thing is so unstable that it reboots all the time. Has anyone optimized this so its actually usable?

faytyler

Dec 31, 2012
I'm no techkie so please just help me with this...
I've read from first post to last and follow everything but still can't get it right, I do not know where to find the Drivers_AllwinnerA10_32and64.zip so I google it but do not know how to install as the folder has no .exe file just some type(setup info, system file and aplication extension).
I was able to open the storage of the tablet using the PDAnet method and when I use the superoneclick it says it was already rooted so I use RootThat-ICS but says the system cannot find path specified.
So in other words I really need this driver to install on my computer but cannot find it anywhere... please help!!!

chitown_

Jan 16, 2013
faytyler: I googled them both and eventually found them (be sure to scan them for viruses). My experience was not that great, after using root that ICS, the unit hung on the 2nd screen upon reboot. I have since imaged it with a gooseberry rom, which works on the unit but cannot use touch screen.

Does anyone have access to the original image file or know of a exact clone that I can use to get back to factory settings? The one on Craigs website does not work.