Creative Ziio Android Update

mechir

Feb 10, 2011
I ask Creative support regarding Froyo, Gingerbread and Honeycomb upgrade last week. Here is the reply on 10th February:

With regards to your enquiry,you might like to know that there a firmware update for ziiO7 on 26 jan 2011. You can refer to our support site for more information regarding this firmware upates.

Creative Worldwide Support

At this moment, we do not have updates regarding upgrading of O.S to Andoroid 2.2 or 2.3 for the Ziio 7. I would advice you to check back on our website at a later date. In case if you need any clarification, please do not hesitate to contact us Do email back on the status concerning the issue so that I can assist you further.

Please retain all the previous correspondence when replying to this email. Thank you

Best Regards
Chua
Customer Support Services
Creative Labs Asia[/I

If the Facebook update is true, things have change though. But in the reply above, nothing said about Honeycomb. =P

D

dartiss

Creative have just confirmed to me that an upgrade to 2.2 is due mid-March.

pepe779

Mar 16, 2011
Not sure where this info came from, but there's nothing to be found anywhere, including the Creative site. Still, even if the 2.2 update really comes out, I believe it'll be safer to wait for some more time before Creative fixes whatever the update screwes up on that tablet :)

pepe779

Mar 16, 2011
Yes, I know it came from FB, but just wondering who really released such info and what's the strategy here, considering the person claims the following:

For existing ZiiO owners, you will soon be able to download an Android 2.2 .apk file that will be released as early as next week.

What the f##k is going on here, why do they put it into new units ONLY and tell us to wait before we can download it? Sheer logic tells me it'd be obvious to have it vice versa... This piece of information rather sounds as if Creative just wanted to gain extra time again, nothing more, nothing less.

pepe779

Mar 16, 2011
Actually the more I think about it, the less sense it makes to me. What does it really mean that it'll be shipped with 2.2 as of today? All the shops (at least in my country) that I know have their stocks loaded with these devices and in most cases they still don't even have the firmware upgrade. The Creative ZiiO is not a bestseller and there's no reason for the shops to order new units just because the 2.2 update has reportedly been released. And nobody can download the update, because it's not available at the moment.

After all, I can imagine that if somebody today decides to buy the ZiiO BECAUSE of these news, all he can do is contact several shops and ask them whether or not they've really obtained/ordered the ZiiO with new firmware. And in most cases the shops will have no clue whatsoever. So what can the customer really do? Buy one and check it out himself? The Creative site has changed the specs of the product and now it says it comes with 2.2, so maybe the only way to get a ZiiO with Android 2.2 is to order it directly from their site, but even that's not guaranteed I'm afraid. Amazon UK also doesn't mention there is an upgraded version available.

My point here is that this facebook information is pretty much useless for now.

unistp88

Mar 20, 2011
Oh yeah!

Creative is releasing their new Android update of 2.2, so much for all Creative ZiiO users patience!

I heard its support Flash in their lastest update, so guys be cool! we will be able to get time anytime soon! =)