Credit card cancelled - Google market transaction

mark57

Jun 29, 2011
Not happy- made a few app purchase from the market, and within two days, my bank was on the phone with the news that they'd cancelled my card due to suspicious activity... I initially thought there had been a security breach and my card details had been hacked, but it turned out that low value transactions (like buying apps for a few dollars each) is something visa use to identify stolen cards.

I'm told that the smart thing to do is use a pre-paid visa card...
Lesson learnt I suppose

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Sounds like something your bank did, not Visa. Did they reinstate your card when you explained what you were doing?

Anomander

Jun 16, 2011
Who was your bank? I have had no problems with the Visa card I have used. Though I do like the idea of a pre-paid Visa card assuming there is no experation date on them if I do not use the balance before a certain time period. It would also be nice if I could recharge it if I wanted too.

iTazm0n

May 4, 2011
Weird, they shouldn't have cancelled your card, if anything, they should have suspended activity until you contacted them to ok the purchases. This happened to me when I bought my wife and I a bunch of eMagazines for the Zinio app before a long plane ride. It was around 10-15 purchases in the $1.50-4.99 range and they told me the same as you that those small transactions in such rapid succession is a "big red flag"- so a hold was placed on my account, they called me, left a message and when I called them back all was cleared up.

And yes, it was my bank, not Visa. In fact, I don't think a card/account, in good standing, can be cancelled without the customers approval.

Did they ever try to contact you?

Aside from that, if you can, get a separate CCard with a low limit ($200-500) for online purchases and have it noted on your account how it is going to be used. Don't get a pre-paid, gift card type since those don't have a billing address attached to the card which makes it very hard or impossible to create a customer account for online stores.

Hope this makes sense and GLuck!

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
Weird, they shouldn't have cancelled your card, if anything, they should have suspended activity until you contacted them to ok the purchases. This happened to me when I bought my wife and I a bunch of eMagazines for the Zinio app before a long plane ride. It was around 10-15 purchases in the $1.50-4.99 range and they told me the same as you that those small transactions in such rapid succession is a "big red flag"- so a hold was placed on my account, they called me, left a message and when I called them back all was cleared up.

And yes, it was my bank, not Visa. In fact, I don't think a card/account, in good standing, can be cancelled without the customers approval.

Did they ever try to contact you?

Aside from that, if you can, get a separate CCard with a low limit ($200-500) for online purchases and have it noted on your account how it is going to be used. Don't get a pre-paid, gift card type since those don't have a billing address attached to the card which makes it very hard or impossible to create a customer account for online stores.

Hope this makes sense and GLuck!

You can now register the pre-paid cards so you can attach an address to it. It's what I have linked to my Google checkout ... in case someone steals my tablet (or if my kids decide to download a non-free game) ... at least the loss is limited.