Cruz news (tablet)

Partenope

Nov 6, 2010
The CruzMarket app is adding apps, though not all install. SlideME seems to have the most apps, though not all install. It DOES have a "Compatibility" test to preliminarily see if the app will load to your device. Most work (although those that access non-existent components such as camera, microphone, or phone will either not load, not work, or sometimes, hang.)

The Cruz Tablet charges via a 110/220v 50/60hz to +5v, 3A DC/pulsed DC output adapter, or via the USB to USB mini cord.

One thing that bugs me about many apps is that they use the Cruz keyboard input. It's ok, but it is full screen, so you can either memorize what the GO/[Tab]/Next/etc. button takes you to, or you have to use the Go Back function on the right margin (while in normal landscape mode -- the screen does orient to any of the cardinal directions up/down/left/right for most apps).

Some apps (apparently) have their own keyboard inputs, so you can see where you are inputting and what the next input is.

Partenope

Nov 6, 2010
This writing is as of November 14, 2010. As a newby, I've had this first for me Android Cruz Tablet (not reader) for just over a week. I've played with it, downloaded a few dozen apps, most of which didn't run. However from the various markets, I was able to find alternative products for everything I wanted (within the capabilities of the device).

I think I'll be returning my Cruz Tablet and getting something else.

REVIEW
It works well for my email, for browsing (though I wasn't happy being locked out of some pages by it being identified as an Android). I played the movies I wanted to see, it played the mp3s. It's 800 x480 screen was fine, though if the processor got busy, the responsiveness was a bit slow. The 1000 Free books from Borders is not working yet (though that's only an inconvenience -- you can find 10s of thousand, often in translation with some diligence), and the Borders reader was integrated to read only purchased or free books (of which the Cruz site had a very limited selection) books.

Putting the device to sleep with the WiFi connected sucked down power -- like 75% over 8 hours (not bad, really, but not good). It did this even when I thought I was turning it off, but, it would run for 10 hours with various apps and intermittent usage (watching TV, then playing on the device, then running off to do errands, then coming back). All of that, maybe with 6 hours direct use and 4 hours of idle only used about 60% of the battery (according to an apparently good meter, I installed). At 15% power something happened that slowed responsiveness -- maybe my 'not responding to it's notification to plug it in.'

As I've mentioned elsewhere, it charges by the 110/220v charger included, or with the USB to USB mini cable (also included.)

As I understand, it has a chip somewhat different from the more mainstream devices. The reviews have high hopes for better video, though the standard player included with the Tablet had no problem with the mp4s or the 3g2 videos that it can play. It has been described elsewhere as "ahead of it's time." I'm sure good and excellent apps are coming. I was happy with the apps that I was able to both load and run (some ran, but locked up or slowed things waaaaay down as they looked for non-existent functions like camera, microphone, phone, or GPS).

New apps were being added to the CruzMarket over the week. I'm sure they will continue to be added, and that the Borders apps will improve once Borders starts shipping it. The device, apparently has a few undocumented apps. When I told it to open an .mp4 video, it asked me if I wanted the builtin Player, a video app I had added or some generic player. Unless that generic one was included with some other app that I installed, it may have different capabilities from the default player. I didn't explore that possibility.

I wish it had camera, GPS, bluetooth, and microphone capability. I may move up to a better (more expensive, currently -- alas! alack!) device which would ideally have infrared, bluetooth, and GPS (presumably G3/G4 potential).

[I welcome any advice, suggestions, preferences, biases, ideas, or even complaints (if you're gentle). Thanks to all here who have helped me! and, Thanks for reading this post. I hope this mini review helps people understand the device better.]

Partenope

Nov 6, 2010
On the box for the Cruz Tablet, which I got from Best Buy, there are three other models listed on the box.

Mine was the Cruz Tablet T103.

Others are Cruz Tablet T101, Cruz Tablet T101, and apparently above mine, a Cruz Tablet Pro 201.

Maybe that Pro 201, with more apps (as they become available will be what I "really" wanted).

Partenope

Nov 6, 2010
(lost that last post, dang it.)... it's essence was iPad is much better at touch/gesture recognition. SlideMe.org and freewarelovers.com are sources of apps while the CruzMarket is being ramped up. No market's apps ran all the time, I'm guessing because the Cruz Tablet doesn't have camera, microphone, GPS, or SimCard capabilities.

I was wondering what the pinhole was on one bezel. I'm guessing it was a light sensor to automatically adjust screen brightness -- but that's just a guess.

I'm basically done here as regards the Cruz (unless someone gives me one). My next Android will likely be something really cheap to play with and learn on like those A-Pad thingies. However, feel free to inquire if you imagine I might tell you anything that I learned over the week of ownership. I have some additional information scattered around other parts of the Forum, if you search on my user name.

ufxss

Nov 16, 2010
Thanks for the review...I am still hanging on to my Cruz Tablet....Since I bought it after Nov 1st I have until Jan 31 to return it as a Xmas gift... Still checking on alternatives, so far the only one that might be a deal breaker could be Archos 70,, which is not available yet...

MaryC

Jan 23, 2012
Hi there, -- Anyone can tell me why the red light stays on, on a Cruz tablet ???
I tried the reset thing; holding the pin in for 30 seconds. lol the SCREEN DOES NOT COME ON AT ALL! shizzzz
Could it be the battery?
What else could a damsel in distress do?? Any suggestions for this mega issue??
:confused: