CRUZ Tablets

Discussion in 'Velocity Micro Tablets' started by cardplay, Nov 29, 2010.

1. cardplay

cardplay Junior Member

I have purchased a CRUZ tablet last Friday, and I am very new to the Android OS and support. What I need to know is the following:

There are several levels of the Android OS out there right now, including 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2. Are 3rd Party developers still supporting 2.0, and is it likely that they will continue to support 2.0 over the next several years?

The CRUZ Tablet can only use 2.0, and according to their customer service, it can not be upgraded due to the hardware configuration. (This is probably true since they use a MIPS processor).

Please will a knowledgable person respond since I am trying to decide whether or not to return the tablet and purchase from a different manufacturer (I have about 20 days left to decide).

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Cardplay
  2. pbrauer

pbrauer Administrator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    HTC Thunderbolt, ViewSonic GTab, Huawei S7, Gentouch 78
    Honestly, I would go ahead and return the device. I too bought one and played for a while, but the device just wasn't well thought out enough. The differences between 2.0 and 2.1 are not that big a deal, but 2.2 added Flash capability, which is huge, along with other features. The advantage of the capacitive screen just wasn't enough for me at that price point.

that being said, I personally went with the Huawei S7 from Best Buy and absolutely love it. It also currently does not have 2.2, but there is a growing community to support it, plus vendor support. Also, it is built on the Snapdragon processor which puts it solidly in the mainstream hardware path.

If you really want a capacitive screen, there are also other devices to try such as the Galaxy, but I have no issues with mine.

Good luck!
  3. TabletConnect

TabletConnect Junior Member

Check out our post regarding a quick comparison between the Huawei and the Cruz Tablet (which we formally reviewed).