Custom App ?

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Good Morning,

Assuming 3.2 can be rooted at some point, can I do the following:

Load the screenshot app of my relative's ASUS EEPad Transformer, the Universal Inbox & Gallery off my Droid X2 or do I need to load an entire ROM?

And I'm assuming that a custom ROM is really a tweaked version of a devices (usually a different one) OS/ UI.

I have a friend that thinks they can do it if I can get everything rooted. I'm nowhere near being able to handle rooting and all the joy that comes with it. I was just curious if it can be done at the app level. Some of these apps seem to be specific to the device.

Thanks

HD87

May 14, 2011
No need to root, just need the apk's & install them. Some might or might not work.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
I'm assuming I'll need to root something since the apps I'm interested in are in the "bloatware". Is there a way to see the apps that come preinstalled? I haven't been able to find them.

HD87

May 14, 2011
I'm assuming I'll need to root something since the apps I'm interested in are in the "bloatware". Is there a way to see the apps that come preinstalled? I haven't been able to find them.
If you wanted to remove your own bloatware then you'd have to root, but if all your doing is getting the apk's from another ROM then no.
Settings: Applications: Unknown sources
ZA001117940.gif

Last edited:

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
If you wanted to remove your own bloatware then you'd have to root, but if all your doing is getting the apk's from another ROM then no.
Settings: Applications: Unknown sources
ZA001117940.gif

I know about unknown sources, it's how I got my Stargate sound board on there :)

I'm going to use the Gallery as an example, when I go to - /system/app/, I find:
BlurGallery.apk
There was also something called com.gallery.something or other and a third call PhotoEditor.apk (that only shows up in the file manager - ES File Explorer). How do I know which one to try? None of them have an "about" option.
Also, assuming I figure this out, do I do it with an SD card or is this done easier by copying to a laptop?

Bloatware may be wrong, I'm still not up to snuff on all the jargon. Maybe I mean preinstalled, but helpful and not available in the market (phanam?). I can't find alot of the apps and other thing on the Droid X2. There's alot of folders that come up "empty". I figured root would be required to see all the contents and find everything.

Thanks

Last edited: