Custom Sylvania ROM development

Xi2wiked

Apr 28, 2011
K, I emailed Koushik Dutta about clockwork recovery. Might be donating a device to help the cause......

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
I have 2 of the EX7 tabs. I have one flashed to 11.2.1.5 beta3 and the other is "out of the box" stock.
I am going to flash the different vers of the 11.2.1.5 rom on to each and see them side by side.
BUT... before I flash the stock one (DG2.01) I am pulling all the folders off. I have rooted it with universal androot. and am running FileExpert to copy them to my SD card them I'll put them on my computer for later comparison. But is there anything I should REALLY be getting? or anything I should just forget?
What should I do?

Xi2wiked

Apr 28, 2011
I have 2 of the EX7 tabs. I have one flashed to 11.2.1.5 beta3 and the other is "out of the box" stock.
I am going to flash the different vers of the 11.2.1.5 rom on to each and see them side by side.
BUT... before I flash the stock one (DG2.01) I am pulling all the folders off. I have rooted it with universal androot. and am running FileExpert to copy them to my SD card them I'll put them on my computer for later comparison. But is there anything I should REALLY be getting? or anything I should just forget?
What should I do?
Can you get me a logcat if/when you do the update? I wanna see just what the system does when it flashes, and where exactly the recovery for this device is.

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
i can do that on it rooted with ADB or a terminal emulator right?
the command is: logcat if/ ?

Xi2wiked

Apr 28, 2011
Sure lol
I also need to see at what point during boot does the /system/bin get accessed. We might just be able to hijack the boot and get a partial recovery

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Can you get me a logcat if/when you do the update? I wanna see just what the system does when it flashes, and where exactly the recovery for this device is.
In early March here's what we discovered when attempting to find recovery and get the update file to burn.

Proceed at your own risk.

Put the update *.ius on your tablet in /local and rename system.ius

Either through the adb shell or a terminal program on your tab run

Code:
infoup inject /local/system.ius
You will see it copies it to
Code:
mtd2: 08000000 00080000 "resv"

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Found a recovery in /system/bin going to try to flash a recovery img

Warning, Will Rogers!!

Our device does NOT seem to follow the norm where at each reboot the tablet would copy the 'recovery' to the recovery partition.

/system/bin/recovery is an executable that will wipe the device.

Code:
$ file recovery
recovery: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped

Xi2wiked

Apr 28, 2011
Got a boot hijaking recovery on my tab..... Now to figure out what buttons to press to get it to actually boot to it lol...

Xi2wiked

Apr 28, 2011
Im starting to feel sorry for my poor tab..... Lol
All the crap ive been putting her through......
Only managed 4 soft bricks so far, nothing that can't be fixed. :)

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
HAHAH I got you beat! I am at 6 soft bricks! LOL! Messing with the prop and the permissions can really take it's toll. but my EX7 takes a flashing and keeps on ticking. (i know... bad pun..)