D2Pad from Biglots, How to Backup and Install CW Recovery

asianflavor

Nov 17, 2012
I got mine fixed by setting nandk instead of nandi in recovery.fstab when I built for the 09 model.

Sent from my dRom using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

I have the 08 model. Should I have to do that if I used myfishbear's hack pack or do I have the wrong recovery img?

asianflavor

Nov 17, 2012
Ok...now it's getting strange. I bought two of D2 pads. One white and one black. Was going to give them to my kids. Both are the 08 models. The white pad is backing up as I type. The black is still not able to mount the SD. Is there a difference between the white and the black one? Unfortunately, I did not back up the original recovery.img from the black pad. I am very puzzled by this.

asianflavor

Nov 17, 2012
This is what I get for messing with Android with no sleep. I updated the Black pad from D2 pad's website with the wrong firmware. I am downloading the correct 08 update as I type and will flash that one to see if that fixes the mounting issue. I will update when I wake up.
Ok...now it's getting strange. I bought two of D2 pads. One white and one black. Was going to give them to my kids. Both are the 08 models. The white pad is backing up as I type. The black is still not able to mount the SD. Is there a difference between the white and the black one? Unfortunately, I did not back up the original recovery.img from the black pad. I am very puzzled by this.

asianflavor

Nov 17, 2012
Success!!! Being a flasholic with insomnia is never fun combination. I loaded the 08 img from the D2pad site and CWM is working as it should. Thanks for all the info on this site. Now get some CM9 on here and make my kids leave my N7 alone. LOL.
This is what I get for messing with Android with no sleep. I updated the Black pad from D2 pad's website with the wrong firmware. I am downloading the correct 08 update as I type and will flash that one to see if that fixes the mounting issue. I will update when I wake up.

sunking

Dec 5, 2012
For the life of me I can't get the volume buttons in cwrecovery to work. I have an 09, have used the proper ones that are supposed to be for the 09, and no dice. Any ideas?

RayanMX

Jan 12, 2011
For those having scrolling issues after installing cwm recovery here's a tip:

Plug an external USB Multimedia Keyboard onto your D2 and then you can scroll by using the Volume Up, Volume Down and the End keys.

$20121206_174104.jpg

bleys2112

Nov 4, 2012
made 2 scripted versions for windows users
d2pad-sn_d201208bxxxxx
d2pad-sn_d201209bxxxxx

Used your script on my 09 pad that I just purchased and CWR is working via USB kb, but I cannot install either your rom or the tb9 rom from vampire :confused: CWR fails install (bad). I have tried using internal and external sd storage, reformatting sd's and verifying zips with 7zip for windoze. Stupid question, is it possible to unzip rom and simply push it to the device? Also, since i reformatted system in preparation for flashing a new rom, I cant adb shell (/system/bin/sh missing). Any ideas are appreciated.

DigitalMenace

Dec 9, 2012
Used your script on my 09 pad that I just purchased and CWR is working via USB kb, but I cannot install either your rom or the tb9 rom from vampire :confused: CWR fails install (bad). I have tried using internal and external sd storage, reformatting sd's and verifying zips with 7zip for windoze. Stupid question, is it possible to unzip rom and simply push it to the device? Also, since i reformatted system in preparation for flashing a new rom, I cant adb shell (/system/bin/sh missing). Any ideas are appreciated.
I'm in the same boat. However, I can no longer boot into the previous OS; it stays at the D2 logo. I can get into the recovery mode, but every image I try to use comes back bad. Now, I can't restore it, I can't update it, I can't do anything.

bleys2112

Nov 4, 2012
I'm in the same boat. However, I can no longer boot into the previous OS; it stays at the D2 logo. I can get into the recovery mode, but every image I try to use comes back bad. Now, I can't restore it, I can't update it, I can't do anything.

I tried a different SD card today, same problem... I am beginning to suspect the CWR image is the culprit. Also, I cannot re-flash the factory image with the livesuit from D2 either because the firmware is still at the latest version. I am a little green at this, but it looks like recovery loads its own system to a ramdisk when it boots and that explains why I can ADB shell while in recovery, but not from D2 boot screen (/system/bin/ does not exist). I think if I could get vampirfo's recovery on this thing somehow, I might be able to salvage it. Will report results of that endeavor here.

Update: Tried to ADB push sh to /system/bin/ and now ADB shell says "/system/bin/sh is not a directory" :mad: Looks like i need to change the file attributes or fix dependencies somehow (maybe by pushing busybox???). I'm becoming totally frustrated because I can't flash a different recovery image without adb shell. Also, the first batch file by myfishbear does a full system backup. I am wondering how in the world to put this back so we can start all over again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

rhg135

Oct 26, 2012
I tried a different SD card today, same problem... I am beginning to suspect the CWR image is the culprit. Also, I cannot re-flash the factory image with the livesuit from D2 either because the firmware is still at the latest version. I am a little green at this, but it looks like recovery loads its own system to a ramdisk when it boots and that explains why I can ADB shell while in recovery, but not from D2 boot screen (/system/bin/ does not exist). I think if I could get vampirfo's recovery on this thing somehow, I might be able to salvage it. Will report results of that endeavor here.

Update: Tried to ADB push sh to /system/bin/ and now ADB shell says "/system/bin/sh is not a directory" :mad: Looks like i need to change the file attributes or fix dependencies somehow (maybe by pushing busybox???). I'm becoming totally frustrated because I can't flash a different recovery image without adb shell. Also, the first batch file by myfishbear does a full system backup. I am wondering how in the world to put this back so we can start all over again. :rolleyes:

Please, Don't diss my work and other people who write this because they WANT to. I had that issue before I made a recovery for 09, I extracted the system from the update from D2, then unsparse it. and write it to /dev/block/nandd from cwr's adb shell.

It is possible the external sd doesn't work in my cwr, I tested internal.

Last edited:

bleys2112

Nov 4, 2012
Please, Don't diss my work and other people who write this because they WANT to. I had that issue before I made a recovery for 09, I extracted the system from the update from D2, then unsparse it. and write it to /dev/block/nandg from cwr's adb shell.

It is possible the external sd doesn't work in my cwr, I tested internal.

Not "dissing" you work, simply stating the facts. I'm very sorry if you perceived it that way... It was not my intention. As I said, I am a little frustrated but by the same token, I know full well the risks involved with rooting/flashing any device. In other words, I made this bed for myself and now I have to lie in it. If there is any information you need from me about the device so we can collaborate on a solution, I would be more than happy to provide it to you. I did try the internal SD as well, same error btw.

rhg135

Oct 26, 2012
Not "dissing" you work, simply stating the facts. I'm very sorry if you perceived it that way... It was not my intention. As I said, I am a little frustrated but by the same token, I know full well the risks involved with rooting/flashing any device. In other words, I made this bed for myself and now I have to lie in it. If there is any information you need from me about the device so we can collaborate on a solution, I would be more than happy to provide it to you. I did try the internal SD as well, same error btw.

You can fix this.
1. extract the update from D2's site.
2. Unsparse the system.img in there.
3. boot to recovery
4. adb push system.img to /cache/system.img
5. in adb shell type:
Code:
cat /cache/system.img > /dev/block/nandd
6. reboot

bleys2112

Nov 4, 2012
Thanks guys, I will try both of these when I get home tonight! Once again, I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers... not my intention. I think maybe the 09 hardware has undergone some revisions and that is why we are having issues. My 09 is only 512mb of ram and was packaged in a completely different box. The 08's simply do not exist anymore and Biglots just got a slew of these 09's in. Maybe I can post pictures and dmesg output or something so we can ferret this out. Let me know what you think.