D2Pad from Biglots, How to Backup and Install CW Recovery

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
guys you need to test both recoveries and post what works and what doesn't, make it short and to the point.

example volume up and down works on what version

power works on what version

mount works on what version

most likely neither versions would be able to flash anything, as your table is different

we need to know what recovery your tablet responds to, mine or rhg135.

sunking

Dec 5, 2012
Are we running into an issue where all 09BKs are not the same? Do we need to try to track it down to serial number range?

I can add this.

using d209_recovery from rhg I have
power: works
vol up/down: doesn't work, works with external keyboard attached
sdcard: .zips on external sd card are found when browsed or named update.zip
flash: fails with (bad)
I:Checking for extendedcommand
I:Skipping execution of extendedcommand, file not found...
I:Can't partition usafe device: /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
I:Can't format unknown volume: /external_sd

Hope this helps.

DigitalMenace

Dec 9, 2012
Are we running into an issue where all 09BKs are not the same? Do we need to try to track it down to serial number range?

I can add this.

using d209_recovery from rhg I have
power: works
vol up/down: doesn't work, works with external keyboard attached
sdcard: .zips on external sd card are found when browsed or named update.zip
flash: fails with (bad)
I:Checking for extendedcommand
I:Skipping execution of extendedcommand, file not found...
I:Can't partition usafe device: /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
I:Can't format unknown volume: /external_sd

Hope this helps.

Well, the model on the box is D2-711bk, what is the models of the others?

The 201209xxx is what tripped us up, so we nuked this things based upon the 201209 info. Not anyones fault, really. Other than the manufacturer, I mean.

So, here's my question. If there is anyone with a good unit, can they make a rom from that and upload it?

I've got the backup from mine, but am unable to figure out how to get it back on to the device!

I currently have rhg135's recovery on mine. Is there a way, from the current recovery, to install Vamirefo's?

I've tried manually copying files back, from the original back up, but the unit reboots part of the way through. When it gets back into recovery, everything is gone. WTF? LOL

sunking

Dec 5, 2012
Well, the model on the box is D2-711bk, what is the models of the others?

The 201209xxx is what tripped us up, so we nuked this things based upon the 201209 info. Not anyones fault, really. Other than the manufacturer, I mean.

So, here's my question. If there is anyone with a good unit, can they make a rom from that and upload it?

I've got the backup from mine, but am unable to figure out how to get it back on to the device!

I currently have rhg135's recovery on mine. Is there a way, from the current recovery, to install Vamirefo's?

I've tried manually copying files back, from the original back up, but the unit reboots part of the way through. When it gets back into recovery, everything is gone. WTF? LOL
The serial on the back definitely shows it as a 201209. However, I'm not convinced it's running at the 1.2G and has 1G of memory, I think it's 1.0 and 512M. So now I'm all confused as to what I really have. When I get home I'll take a look at the box and see what that says.

sunking

Dec 5, 2012
Ok, same here. Model sticker on the back says 201209, box has it as a D2-711bk. Memory has it as only 512, so I'm guessing the box is correct. Guess we need to wait for some new roms to be made for these models.

bleys2112

Nov 4, 2012
Model: D2-711_BK
S/N: D201209BK127XX
CPU: 1Ghz
RAM: 512Mb
Display: 7" Capacitive @ 800x480

CWM-based Recovery v6.0.1.5
Power: Works
Vol +/-: Not Functioning
Install Zip: Not working... reports (bad)
Format/Mount: Working except for emmc partition

You can view a full dmesg dump by clicking this link.

Hope that helps!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Model: D2-711_BK
S/N: D201209BK127XX
CPU: 1Ghz
RAM: 512Mb
Display: 7" Capacitive @ 800x480

CWM-based Recovery v6.0.1.5
Power: Works
Vol +/-: Not Functioning
Install Zip: Not working... reports (bad)
Format/Mount: Working except for emmc partition

You can view a full dmesg dump by clicking this link.

Hope that helps!

If you get my recovery installed I might be able to help you, can you adb? can you boot into os, I can't really do anything with rhg135's recovery, it doesn't appear to be working on your tablet anyway, if you get my version installed I think I can help you.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Do you all have backups? if not what are you trying to install?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Ok, same here. Model sticker on the back says 201209, box has it as a D2-711bk. Memory has it as only 512, so I'm guessing the box is correct. Guess we need to wait for some new roms to be made for these models.

at this point this doesn't matter, you guys continue to install rhg135's recovery which isn't working on this tablet, so first thing to do it stop installing it on this tablet.

bleys2112

Nov 4, 2012
If you get my recovery installed I might be able to help you, can you adb? can you boot into os, I can't really do anything with rhg135's recovery, it doesn't appear to be working on your tablet anyway, if you get my version installed I think I can help you.

ADB - Working
ADB Shell - Only working on recovery boot (In my infinite wisdom, I formatted /system to flash ROMs)

I have tried to install your recovery from recovery boot using:
adb remount

adb push recovery.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.img (I manually created dirs first to accomplish this)
adb push install-recovery.sh /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
adb push reboot-recovery /system/bin/reboot-recovery
adb shell
chmod 775 /system/bin/reboot-recovery
chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
/data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh (at this point, it reports /sbin/sh: /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh: not found)

At that point, I manually executed the shell script line-by-line and although it appears to have worked, I still have the same CWR as before).
You can see all of the gory details here.

I feel like I am really close, but somehow, I am missing something (probably as obvious as the nose on my face, lol)

sunking

Dec 5, 2012
at this point this doesn't matter, you guys continue to install rhg135's recovery which isn't working on this tablet, so first thing to do it stop installing it on this tablet.
In our defense we were just doing what the initial post said to do, one for 08, the other for 09. Obviously we've some confusion between serial numbers and model numbers both in the instructions and from the company. It seems odd that the serial number format starting with 201208/9 spans two different models, but there you have it. I only mention this to keep us from going down this road with other people. Serial numbers only tell us something when coupled with the actual model number.

Anyway, I've installed yours and it's just hung at the initial android icon in the middle of the screen that occurs immediately on power up.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
In our defense we were just doing what the initial post said to do, one for 08, the other for 09. Obviously we've some confusion between serial numbers and model numbers both in the instructions and from the company. It seems odd that the serial number format starting with 201208/9 spans two different models, but there you have it. I only mention this to keep us from going down this road with other people. Serial numbers only tell us something when coupled with the actual model number.

Anyway, I've installed yours and it's just hung at the initial android icon in the middle of the screen that occurs immediately on power up.

yes but at that time only two version existed now new version is out, I am attempting to build a new one for d2_711, I don't have the new version so can only build on input from you guys.

Last edited:

bleys2112

Nov 4, 2012

Recovery is a success! HW buttons all work and all appears well in CWR. Tried flashing tb9.zip and it hung-up at around 70% completed. Re-formatted data, cache, system and wiped dalvik and tried a second time just to make sure... same thing. Next, tried flashing the drom, it does not even reach 1%... No flashing errors with either rom though (the notorious (bad) message is gone). Even though I can't flash a ROM yet, I'll still call that progress!

Last edited: