Data Card for WiFi Only and Other Tabs

vknidhi

Jul 5, 2011
I have been using Acer A500 tab for a year now. It is a wifi only tab. When I purchased it the vendor assured me Acer would come up with an update to enable the usage of data card on it. Till date Acer have not done it nor is there any android app to help me in this cause. Mine is not a rooted device. I solicit help in this matter.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'm pretty sure someone lied through their teeth. You can't add a data card (SIM) to a system that didn't come with the necessary hardware.

You do have some other options, like tethering to a phone or purchasing a MiFi hotspot but that's about it.

grnidkjun

Jan 10, 2013
if your phone is android.. put pdanet and foxfi on your phone.. put the pdanet for tablets on your Acer and tether them via Bluetooth

vknidhi

Jul 5, 2011
Thanks for the information. By the way, mine is an android 4.0.3 device. I do wifi hotspot tethering (3G) with my galaxy note - it works some times and doesn't some other times. I also notice that hotspots tethering is a bit slower, when it works. This is why I was wondering if a 3G dongle could be used by any means. I understand that I have to settle contended with what I have. Thanks once again.

vknidhi

Jul 5, 2011
I'm pretty sure someone lied through their teeth. You can't add a data card (SIM) to a system that didn't come with the necessary hardware.

You do have some other options, like tethering to a phone or purchasing a MiFi hotspot but that's about it.

Good suggestion. I scanned through the net and settled upon Huawei E355 wifi data card, which is just the size of a datacard, which can be inserted into the USB slot of Acer A500 (only for the purpose of drawing the power) and it functions as a wifi router. This devise can funtion bothas data card as well as wifi router. Sweet are the uses of adversity.