Dawa D9 - UTOPIA G10 on sale in the UK

scar0x

Sep 15, 2010
hi, yes i saw that. but the one in the UK is advertised as 8GB built in. also shipping is free in that price. No customs to be paid either, since it will be dispatched from uk.

Hopefully there will be less issues dealing with them.

JenniferFDS

May 20, 2011
Yes it looks good. He has the 16gb version too for £185 and 16gb+3G for £215. Before you buy, look at his other tablet the 8"samsung (£185 for 16gb also), i know its only 8" but its running the A8 Cortex at 1.2GHz (instead of the 800MHz on the Dawa) and already has the 2.3 update. If you do go for the Dawa, wait a few more days and he'll be rolling them out with 2.3 instead of the current 2.2.

Hope this is food for thought ^_^

neildarlow

Jun 11, 2011
Hi,

I bought one of the 16GB (non-3G) devices from this supplier recently. So far it seems fine although there are issues with two of the bundled applications.

1) The Facebook app fails to login and the tablet won't install the update that is available. It claims the update is not properly signed.

2) The Windows Live Messenger app is incompletely localised. At login it presents notifications displayed in Chinese and the MSN tab takes you to a site authored in Chinese.

As part of my testing I performed a Factory Reset of the settings and found that Adobe Flashplayer didn't come bundled. However I was able to install version 10.3 successfully and it appears to function well.

A number of additional apps were provided by the seller, notably Angry Birds Rio and Fruit Ninja. Replacing these from Android Market indicated that the original Angry Birds Rio must have been an Ad-stripped version and Fruit Ninja was a paid app. A number of the bundled apps feature advertising which might not appeal to some buyers.

I enquired about the availability of Android 2.3 for this device and was told that although it is available, the Android Market app is not yet functional.

Overall, I am impressed with the build quality of the Dawa D9 and its ability to play video without stutter. The seller also included a screen protector and a soft carrying pouch for the £184.90, delivered, cost - a nice touch!

Regards,
Neil Darlow

jackso11

Jul 12, 2011
Hi,

I bought one of the 16GB (non-3G) devices from this supplier recently. So far it seems fine although there are issues with two of the bundled applications.

1) The Facebook app fails to login and the tablet won't install the update that is available. It claims the update is not properly signed.

2) The Windows Live Messenger app is incompletely localised. At login it presents notifications displayed in Chinese and the MSN tab takes you to a site authored in Chinese.

As part of my testing I performed a Factory Reset of the settings and found that Adobe Flashplayer didn't come bundled. However I was able to install version 10.3 successfully and it appears to function well.

A number of additional apps were provided by the seller, notably Angry Birds Rio and Fruit Ninja. Replacing these from Android Market indicated that the original Angry Birds Rio must have been an Ad-stripped version and Fruit Ninja was a paid app. A number of the bundled apps feature advertising which might not appeal to some buyers.

I enquired about the availability of Android 2.3 for this device and was told that although it is available, the Android Market app is not yet functional.

Overall, I am impressed with the build quality of the Dawa D9 and its ability to play video without stutter. The seller also included a screen protector and a soft carrying pouch for the £184.90, delivered, cost - a nice touch!

Regards,
Neil Darlow

Does this mean facebook doesn't work with this tablet? That is a bit annoying. Did you manage to fix the problem?

Does anyone know where to buy these from in the UK at the moment? the above seller doesn't seem to respond to ebay messages and his website is blank, he only lists iphone cases for sale at the moment too.

neildarlow

Jun 11, 2011
Hi,
Does this mean facebook doesn't work with this tablet? That is a bit annoying. Did you manage to fix the problem? Does anyone know where to buy these from in the UK at the moment? the above seller doesn't seem to respond to ebay messages and his website is blank, he only lists iphone cases for sale at the moment too.

The Facebook app provided with my tablet did not work. Replacing it with the Cyanogenmod 6 or Android Market versions fixed that little problem. It was probably another Chinese app problem.

The only place I see selling these in the UK at the moment is jexxa.co.uk which sells it as the Jex Tab 101. They only have the 3G-equipped model and it retails for GBP211. You might try contacting them if you just want the WiFi-only model like mine.

I get the impression that, although these are Dawa D9/Utopia G10/APAD clones, they sell incredibly well. The hardware is of a decent quality and you can access the device using the Android Development Kit's adb with superuser privileges (to replace apps etc.) without having to root the device.

The jexxa model has 4GB of internal storage which might seem a limitation. In practice, Android uses a little less than 2GB of this and the remainder is assigned to /sdcard - so you get ~2.1GB with a 4GB device and ~14.1GB with a 16GB device. This can always be supplemented with a removable Micro-SDHC card so it is not really an issue.

If you are serious about buying this device, I will be happy to help you with any tweaks which I have applied to my tablet (all are really trivial) to make the end-user experience that little bit better.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

Edit: Fixed formatting after changing to standard editor. Full WYSIWYG editor doesn't play well with Firefox.

Last edited:

neildarlow

Jun 11, 2011
An update:

The 8GB 3G-equipped version of this Dawa D9/Utopia G10 clone is available on eBaY UK, for GBP199.99, from the supplier I bought mine from (Digibite a.k.a. apple_eating_androids).

This is a better deal than from jexxa.co.uk but they probably won't be available for long at this price.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

Edit: Corrected supplier details.

Last edited:

jackso11

Jul 12, 2011
Well, I went ahead and got one :) from china, 4gb with 3g and a leather case for £140 posted :)

One problem, as you said facebook and msn don't work, but they won't uninstall either. The uninstall box is greyed out, do I need pc software to get those apps off? how can I remove them so I can start with clean UK android software?

This is my first android OS kit so I am a bit new to it all :)

jackso11

Jul 12, 2011
also, I have just downloaded and installed flash 10.3 and iplayer.....iplayer is unwatchable its so jerky! anyway to sort this out too?

I have just discovered the sd slot doesn't work :( says disk is unmounted all the time, no extra memory for me

Last edited:

neildarlow

Jun 11, 2011
One problem, as you said facebook and msn don't work, but they won't uninstall either. The uninstall box is greyed out, do I need pc software to get those apps off? how can I remove them so I can start with clean UK android software?

I installed the Android Development Kit (ADK) on my Linux desktop and use it to access the /system/app folder on the tablet using a USB connection. Doing this you have root access to the filesystem without needing to root your device permanently.

I pulled the existing apps from the tablet, deleted them from the tablet and pushed replacement apps from the PC to the tablet.

This takes a little initial effort to setup but it's a convenient way to manage system apps. If you have experience of Linux you should get up to speed quickly but you can use the same technique on Windows.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

Sent from my imx51_bbg using Tapatalk

jackso11

Jul 12, 2011
Thanks for the info :)Did you find a way to get iplayer working? Its so jerky its unwatchable. Also when you put an sd card in does it show as extra storage? Mine only shows in es explorer extsd.

neildarlow

Jun 11, 2011
Thanks for the info :)Did you find a way to get iplayer working? Its so jerky its unwatchable. Also when you put an sd card in does it show as extra storage? Mine only shows in es explorer extsd.

I don't have a problem with iPlayer performance. Are you sure it's not a local network performance problem?

My removable SD card shows as /extsd also. I believe this is correct behaviour. It is just a convenience for getting files to/from the device and for apps where you can configure storage paths.

I'm not aware that vanilla Android (which, I believe, we have) can automagically add extra storage to the internal storage space.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

jackso11

Jul 12, 2011
Hmm interesting. In iplayer settings whwt quality do you have set? I can watch in low quality no problem, anyting above that is jerky. This is on wifi and my laptop and desktop can run high quality on the same wifi with no issues.Is the any way to upgrad the internal sd on these? When i move apps to the sd in app manager it says there is no space left after about 3 apps are moved, not sure what is going on there either.

neildarlow

Jun 11, 2011
I can watch things like HQ movie trailers without any stutter.

My tablet has about 1.9GB allocated for Android. The remainder of the internal 16GB is /sdcard.

There are three system spaces which applications consume:

/system/app - pre-installed apps reside here
/cache - app updates reside here
/data - app data resides here

The /cache and /data area appear empty in ES File Explorer but they do get used. The System Panel app allows you to see storage use (tap Menu then Dev Info and Storage).

My tablet free space is: /system:12.7M, /cache:96M and /data:107.2M for 57 installed apps. The /cache and, to a degree, /data areas can be cleaned-up with apps like 1-Tap Cleaner (Pro).

Regards,
Neil Darlow

Last edited: