Dead Xyboard 8.2

WilburNJ

Dec 15, 2011
I picked up a new Xyboard 8.2 from Verizon on Monday, and it died on Wednesday. It just won't turn on at all, and Motorola tech support was useless. They suggested I send it to them for repair. I'm going back to the Verizon store over the weekend and have them swap it for a new one.

Perhaps someone else (an enthusiast on this board, perhaps) knows this new tablet better than Motorola, so any help would be appreciated. The only thing it does is blink a red LED at the top of the screen (next to the camera) three times when I try to start it. By the way, I've left it in the Motorola-provided charger overnight, and this morning (Thursday), it still didn't boot up.

Too bad, because it was a fun tablet while it worked!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hold the power button for about 30 seconds to make sure it is actually turned off and not just a blank screen. Then try and power on again.

WilburNJ

Dec 15, 2011
J515OP, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, still nothing but the 3 red blinks. I'm sure the 3 red blinks is an error code. Too bad Motorola's tech support team hasn't been trained on troubleshooting it's own products.

Cnynrat

Dec 29, 2011
Seems like a silly suggestion, but you might check to make sure the battery is charged. We had a similar experience with our XYBoard 10.1, and we learned that at least for the 10.1 it will not turn on at all if the battery is less than 15% charged.

I now get to give my wife the Systems Analyst grief about being sure she had charged the tablet overnight.

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
My Droid X doesn't turn on with less than a 10-15% charge either. That might be your issue.

helixinc

Jan 2, 2012
Hold down the Power Button and the Volume down for 12 Sec as stated in the last page of the manual. :) That fixed mine.

starboy

Feb 14, 2012
Hold down the Power Button and the Volume down for 12 Sec as stated in the last page of the manual. :) That fixed mine.

Thank you Helixinc, that fixed mine too. I've had mine for only a month and it was dead today. Got it back up with this suggestion but I had to hold it down for much longer for some reason.

clairestrnad

Aug 20, 2012
I just came back from a class, where I was using my XYBoard 8.2 just fine, and when I got home it wasn't doing anything at all. It wouldn't turn on (I usually just let it sleep all the time; I don't turn it on and off), so I thought that maybe the battery had died, even though I knew that it had been at 90% when I was using it in class. However, when I plugged it up with the original charger, nothing happened. The red light didn't come on, and neither did the little blue/white one near the charger port. Basically it looked dead, so I tried holding the power button down as it was suggested here, but that didn't work for me. What I had to do was to hold down the power button AND the volume down button. After about 13 seconds, the screen came on (black screen with white words on the left side) that said the tablet was locked and a bunch of other stuff that I didn't understand. I pushed the power button again for about a second, and the screen went black again. I then held the power button for about three seconds (like you do when you want to turn the tablet on) and it came on like usual. I'm not sure what the problem was, but that fixed it and it's working like normal again. :) Just thought that I'd share in case anyone has the same problem.