Decisions decisions: transformer vs xoom vs galaxy 10.1

RainMak3r

Jul 21, 2011
Hey guys.. I'm new to this forum and i came because I need some advice. I absolutely cannot decide which of these 3 to buy! I will be doing a lot of movie watching and maybe some gaming. I'm also a photographer so this might be a nice way to show off pictures to clients. From what I've just said the samsung tablet makes sense, I know, but I can't afford the 32gb, the camera isn't as good as the other two, and no sd slot, or hdmi out (dongle sounds nightmarish). The transformer has a great screen but I tried it at the store and its laggier than the other two and from what I hear, customer service is complete *. The xoom has everything I want except the screen isn't as bright and kinda has dull colors. I feel it's built the best too. Shoot me lol.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mar 30, 2011
i have a xoom and have no issues with it. i think its the best tab out.

johnburton

May 26, 2011
I totally love the Galaxy Tab 10.1. Soooo light, thin, no lag, about perfect. $100 off of tablets at Staples now.

PeteDee

May 21, 2011
Personally I will not buy any tablet that has to be plugged into a dock for basic functions, I mean WTF, so that rules out Galaxy Tab and Transformer, Thrive has worst screen of the lot so that is out, nice otherwise. So Acer A500 or Xoom, I bought the A500 because the Xoom did not have a working USB port and the A500 did.

A500 now has HC 3.1 and is just brilliant.

Pete

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mar 30, 2011
Personally I will not buy any tablet that has to be plugged into a dock for basic functions, I mean WTF, so that rules out Galaxy Tab and Transformer, Thrive has worst screen of the lot so that is out, nice otherwise. So Acer A500 or Xoom, I bought the A500 because the Xoom did not have a working USB port and the A500 did.

A500 now has HC 3.1 and is just brilliant.

Pete

The xoom didn't have a working SD slot, not usb port. The xoom will receive updates before any other tab because it is google's test device. So yes, 3.2 is already on the WiFi only xoom and will be rolled out to the 3g/4g xoom over the next few weeks. Others will see 3.2 in a month or more.

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
You sound like the screen on the thrive sucks, it doesn't suck at all (there is no light bleed either). I swear people have become snobs without so much as actually using the device. I have the thrive and couldn't be happier, I even found my own way around the SOD issue, I have my thrive set to stay on when charging, and when I do set it to sleep, I leave the screen alone (so it turns off on its own), leave wifi on, and haven't had any issues whatsoever with bringing my tablet out of sleep mode.

Ive been comparing my thrive with my gfs galaxy tab, and the screen has slightly more saturated colors on the tab, its slightly crisper but otherwise no real difference that I can tell ( I think it might be slightly brighter, meh).

The usability of the thrive far outweighs many others on the market.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Tablet Forum

ShroomSJS

Jun 9, 2011
Personally I will not buy any tablet that has to be plugged into a dock for basic functions, I mean WTF, so that rules out Galaxy Tab and Transformer
Pete

Why would I need a dock for my Galaxy Tab? I haven't needed one yet, but am I missing something?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Tablet Forum

Genkilljoy

Jul 29, 2011
Yes the ability to use it while it charges and to have HDMI output....which I don't intend to use. However while i am working on my desktop and need to transfer file it nice to have it on a stand to as said charge and transfer files the take it with me with a full charged battery

brandysnap

Aug 4, 2011
im also currently debating which one to get.

at the moment im swaying slightly towards the transformer because of its microsd card and the very nice ips display.
ive got an ipad first gen so if i go down to a normal tft screen im almost certain ill not like it.
galaxy tab has fixed storage which im not too keen on really. i can get a 64gb tab at the end of august in the uk but am i really going to need it? on my ipad 64gb its completely full of games, but there arent anywhere near as many games on the android as far as im aware so im thinking its best to get a 16gb model, and once its full stick a microsd in to bolster the storage..... something you cant do with the tab.

the reports on youtube and other forums of the weak speakers on the transformer are putting me off.
if the sound is the same as the ipad first gen ive got then ill be happy because i think that sounds very good, but the videos ive seen it sounds like a poor quality fm radio whereas the galaxy tab 10.1 has reportedly very good quality, loud speakers.
plus the placement of the speakers on the transformer, iconia and xoom is really bizarre to me and slightly off putting. why on earth they placed them pointing backwards is beyond me.
headphones are not an option for me because i hate them, so speaker quality is an important factor.

doesnt seem to be a normal dock for the transformer. the only dock its got is the keyboard, which i dont need - if i wanted a thing that size id get a netbook or laptop - and the size of it is off putting. samsung galaxy at least has a normal charging dock. although with the release of the machine in the uk, currys arent going to be stocking the accessories for it at the same time, so id be stuck or have to trust that an imported dock would work.

Genkilljoy

Jul 29, 2011
Because when your working on your desktop and transfer files to and from your systems your table has a nice place to dock with a good viewing angle instead of lying on it's back and is charging at the same time. Also if you want to listen to music or watch videos it has an audio out as well as HDMI(cable needed). It has it's advantages.

chris481

Aug 6, 2011
Im new but in my opinion after doing a lot of research, i found the xoom to be the best tablet. i upgraded to 3.2 and was very easy. the sd slot works great and the hdmi and usb were something i found the others were behind on. The acer or asus was similar but just looked flimsy to me. the cameras are very good for motorola and the screens resolution and brightness and good as well. i have the dock and the keyboard and a stylus for sketchbook pro and all work very well. the bluetooth keyboard is a little slow but i got used to it. i am referring to a non rooted device btw.