default mail and making folders

slhayes

Oct 12, 2012
I am really having problems figuring out a few things, but I will start with just this one. I can't figure out how to create folders in the default email program? I did download the Google email program, but it was downloading all my old mail even if I wasn't online after I set it up to get my pop3 email. I need to have a program that can access that account since that is where most of my email comes in to. I am wondering if I should go with another program or just try to set up the default email, but it looks like the options are rather limited or I just don't know how to do it? Thanks to any one who can help.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

The stock mail app doesn't do folders, however, there is a way to get it to do folders. It requires that you set your mail up as IMAP, then you would need to go to the WEB version of the mail using a browser and if the WEB interface allows you to create folders they will sync with your tablet. Works great if you can do those 2 things.

slhayes

Oct 12, 2012
Thanks for answering so quickly. I see where other programs are talked about here and other places. Do you have a recommend for which one I could try? I do have access to web mail in Earthlink, but it seems a bit cumbersome. I do need to get a stylus and a couple of other things and I have just been trying to get by until I get it all together.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Oops, Earthlink is one of the VERY few mail systems I deal with that doesn't support IMAP, which upsets me no end. ;)

I have tried MailDroid and K-9 mail among several others and both have a better feature set than the stock client and both are free. However I settled on Kaiten which is $5 US. It has an even better feature set and even looks like someone had tablets in mind for the display. Kaiten also has a select all feature for dumping the trash and much more. But still no folders unless you have IMAP. Wish I could be more help.

slhayes

Oct 12, 2012
Does MailDroid and K-9 mail support folders? I hove no problem parting with $5 but if Kaiten does not support folders then I would avoid it. I don't understand why Gmail was downloading all my email. I could have dealt with it if it wasn't for that.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
No, the other mail clients I mentioned do not natively support folders. But they all could do what I suggest earlier, with IMAP.

The G-Mail app wants to set up IMAP when you set it up. If mail was stored on the server it would sync all that mail with your tablet, BUT it should still be on the server. That is one of the prime reasons for setting up IMAP.