Default rotation

yoxler

Aug 8, 2012
Hi!

I've just bought a tablet s and love it. But I find one thing very anoying.

It seems that the default rotation of some apps is set as if you hold the tablet in your right hand. For example Spotify. And you cannot change it's rotation. Bubble blast has the same issue.

Is it possible to change this anyway? I would like the orientation to be the other way around, as if I held the tablet in my left hand.

Cheers
Andreas

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

I'm not certain left hand vs right hand but the portrait vs landscape orientation is mostly controlled by the apps. If you have one that basically refuses to go landscape on a tablet it means the developer hasn't optimized the app for a tablet. Probably designed originally for a phone.

yoxler

Aug 8, 2012
Yeah I understand what you mean. I'm talking about protrait vs reversed portrait (do know if its called that but you get the idea)

I guess you are correct when you say that the app probably is designed for a phone. Due to the design of the Sony tablet s I do have a preffered way to hold the tablet, in my case my left hand.

However when running these apps the orientation is automaticly rotated to portrait, and then it's not very nice to hold with my left hand since tablet s is designed to hold in a specific way.

What I'm looking for is a way to set the default orientation to these apps, where they probably are designed for phones, to reversed portrait so I can hold the tablet in my left hand comfortably.

brady72

Aug 18, 2012
I use an app called Orientation Control ($1.99). Now I can click a button ("switch") on my task bar to force "Reverse Portrait" orientation for those apps developed for phones that are upside-down on my Tablet S (my extensive use of Yahoo fantasy sports apps alone makes it well worth the $2). Have to hit the switch again to go back to auto-rotate mode. I wish there was a way to tell those apps to auto-magically force Reverse Portrait mode when they open, but this way works well enough.

SammyTSquib

Sep 10, 2012
I use an app called Orientation Control ($1.99). Now I can click a button ("switch") on my task bar to force "Reverse Portrait" orientation for those apps developed for phones that are upside-down on my Tablet S (my extensive use of Yahoo fantasy sports apps alone makes it well worth the $2). Have to hit the switch again to go back to auto-rotate mode. I wish there was a way to tell those apps to auto-magically force Reverse Portrait mode when they open, but this way works well enough.

I'd also like to recommend 'Ultimate Rotation Control'. Its free for 7 days then £1.69 after that.

It has various settings some of which can be applied to specific apps which is nice. But the 'Forced Auto' option is probably the one which Tablet S users will appreciate. As the name suggests it will force the app to run in what ever orientation the device is being held in.
This isn't perfect however as if you hold the tablet in landscape the app will run in landscape - even if it wasn't designed to do so.

Still its the best solution I've found so far. Unless anyone knows of an app that can essentially remove 'portrait' mode altogether? Forcing all apps to run in either landscape (if designed) or reverse portrait.