deleting files or folders = not a real delete?

citrus

Aug 25, 2012
I did a search for files deleting, deleting files & files delete & don't get real hits but just a listing of every thread in the forums.

The problem is that I've deleted files & folders from both the "internal storage" SD & the external SD using goth the "files" app & "total commander"; the locations look empty after the "delete".

Now, using a usb cable to connect to my computer to transfer some files/ebooks to the A700 locations, I still see the folders & files! So is this a "known problem" with 4.x or haven't been encountered by anyone or that no one used a usb connection to a computer to check on the "download" directory of the internal storage?

Is the problem only with the Acer A700 or is it a generic Android bug?

I'm going to add some more ebooks to the A700 today, disconnect the usb & after importing them to aldiko, will "delete" then check with an usb connection to see if they are available on the computer for reading even if they are supposed to be deleted.

Anyone have ideas on what is happening?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I can say that it certainly isn't an Android issue and I doubt it's an A700 issue either, but it certainly is strange. I'm guessing you are not seeing those files in My Library? If that was the only place you could see them I would ignore it.

Download an app called "Rescan Media", run it then restart your tablet and see if that makes a difference.

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
Did you check if the files you deleted the first time around were available to the computer while connected to USB? I sometimes get this issue in Windows 7 (and it has been discussed in a recent thread on this forum) where files/folders still appear (though they're not actually there) in Windows 7. Usually hitting F5 on the keyboard to refresh the directory will solve the issue. So far this has been the case with two of the three (you being the third) people who have mentioned similar experiences.

citrus

Aug 25, 2012
1. I found that the several media rescan apps only do a rescan of the internal SD Card.

2. The files were deleted when there wasn't an usb connection between the computer & the A700; also there was a folder where files were "deleted" several days ago so the F5 on win7 won't do anything as the units were not connected.

It is easy for anyone to verify by just creating a "new folder" on the tablet then connect a computer to the tablet & have the computer check to see if the new folder is visible; my computer is connected ONLY when I need to get some ebooks over to the tablet as I'll be using the A700 as my ereader. The computer has the Calibre ebook manager for managing the ebooks I had on the Nook. Never had problems with the Nook regarding files as the Nook don't/didn't have any real file manager. Please note that the deleting of files on the tablet wasn't done when the units were connected as I disconnect them after the files were written onto the tablet.

I just got around the android "bug" with "Dos" type reading/writing by using ftp to transfer the files; ftp allows the tablet to do the writing onto my external_sd_card which should eliminate the Dos writing onto the sd_card via the usb cable.

Anyway I've completed the transfer of 252 ebooks & catalogued using aldiko. Now will be checking if any ereaders understand subdirectories on the tablet since that would be more desirable than having lots of books in a directory.

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
The best ereader for the money is Mantano Reader. I've been using it for about a year. Beats the pants off all the others in the "It just looks and feels like a book" department. If you're coming from a Nook, this will remind you of that experience, but has nice features like TTS and page turn effects. The PDF support is also getting much better as the updates roll out. I use it on my NookColor and my A700.

EDIT: It understands subdirectories, too. Even allows you to use custom book covers in case they show up funky on the bookshelf.

citrus

Aug 25, 2012
I finally decided to install the A700 usb2 driver; this goes onto the win7 system.

Connected the A700 & I (win7) see the folder created by the A700 & believe that the deleted files are no longer displayed (the filenames were displayed before but not available).

Interesting that Acer's usb drivers made such a difference; wonder what it really does.

I had thought that the usb driver was to be on the A700 to use but guess it doesn't since it does "correct" the info sent by the A700.

Last edited: