Deleting preinstalled apps and bloatware.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
BKenny
You started this thread. You don't need a mod's help. Just start editing the first post with all the good stuff. That's where the new bees will start.

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Done. Thank you Ridgeland for enlightening me. :)

So I've noticed there are ringtones on our Kyros device. Odd. We definitely don't need ringtones.

Check it out: (Main storage) System> Media > Audio > Ringtones

Whaaattt? There are also "Alarms", "Notifications", and "UI" folders which I'm guessing house the sounds and tones for the various events. Maybe it's possible we could add our own tones in by substituting as well?

Last edited:

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Ringtones are used when powering down for instance. You can select one.

I have removed the Ringtones located in "System > Media > Audio > Ringtones" with no bad side effects. Will update my first post accordingly. I have also figured out that the "notifications", "ui" and "alarms" folders are the only relevant directories needed. The ringtones are not used for anything on the Kyros. The sounds in "notifications" are the sounds you hear during shutdown and notifications messages.

Clancy

Jan 11, 2011
Removed the Stock Email application, I use my own (from the marketplace). Have had absolutely no problems so far! I've updated the related post accordingly. :) This is going well I think!

Same here, what are you using... I need POP3 access, using K-9 mail which seems to work well but boots with a service running.

So far I've got it down to 2 services at boot, Better Keyboard and K-9 Mail, I can quit the k-9 mail service and it stays off until I use mail again.

The leaner this thing gets the faster it is and less battery it uses.

Clancy-

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
I'm using Maildroid. I like K-9 but the interface is quite ugly in my opinion lol. Check it out. POP3 access too!

I'm also using Better Keyboard.

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
I don't know if the Coby Android implementation is the same as my Archos 5 in this respect, but I have found that disabling "Data synchronization" settings, "Background data", and "Auto-sync", cuts out a lot of activity that drives many of the services that keep Android "busy". Take a look and see what you find. That should address at least one set of "causes" instead whacking the moles (apps/services) that are the effects. I would consider these settings to be be something like Unix/Linux daemons and crontab.

willber

Jan 9, 2011
Anyone know what AlarmService is (com.android.vending) Seems to be related to the Market.
It's in the Running services and I believe it's one of those that wakes the tablet up.
If I kill it, the wake issue stops and there doesn't appear to be any side effects. I would like to permanently kill it but I'm not sure what app is calling it.
Having very little issue with the Wake from sleep problem. This may be the last one that needs killing
Thanks.

Clancy

Jan 11, 2011
Anyone know what AlarmService is (com.android.vending) Seems to be related to the Market.
It's in the Running services and I believe it's one of those that wakes the tablet up.
If I kill it, the wake issue stops and there doesn't appear to be any side effects. I would like to permanently kill it but I'm not sure what app is calling it.
Having very little issue with the Wake from sleep problem. This may be the last one that needs killing
Thanks.

Don't seem to have that one... I've used Autostart to pretty much kill everything at start. I only show "better keyboard" and "K-9Mail" services running after boot, no wake up problems at all. I've noticed much improved battery use after getting rid of the extra cr@p. Made a backup last night, don't want to lose this configuration as it's running so well.

There's a couple of things to avoid quitting in Autostart, I bricked it once and had to go all the way back to the factory setup then install my most recent backup.

Clancy

Clancy

Jan 11, 2011
You guys are bring back memories talking about the C-64... I had one in my room from age 12 to 18. I learned how to write BASIC code on one by hacking Telengard game, which was written in BASIC.

Funny how the time flies. Those were the good old days. I miss my C64. I downloaded a C64 emulator from the Android Market to play Kennedy Approach though. Still a fun game and very addicting.

Like Ridgeland, my first was a C64 w/tape drive, at the time the disk drive (1541?) cost more than the computer.
Wasn't too long after I had an email address when Q-Link came online.

Burr-Brown has a plant here (now Texas Instruments), when the Amiga came out I think every engineer there purchased an Amiga. At one point the combined Commodore C64/Amiga user group was one of the largest in the U.S. Weekly meetings, demonstrations, new software... etc, it was great fun.
Member of GEnie & Compuserve... going on to the Internet using Lynx. Still have a working Amiga 3000 with the Sunrize 16-bit audio card.

Anyway, hacking the Kyros reminds of the like minded camaraderie from "back in the day".

Clancy

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Removed Google Maps and related services, the default Youtube website link (not the actual YouTube app, the worthless link that came pre-installed on the Kyros), and a couple Live wallpapers that I never use. Edited the related post accordingly. :)