Development Updates

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
No goes through the lenovo splash screen without a hickup but it hangs on the boot screen, it could be the kernel which is not compatible but I am guessing

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk HD

I think that's exactly what your problem is. I don't remember if I tried, but I don't think the stock 4.0.4 kernel can be flashed on top of a 4.1.1 ROM with any success.

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
bloo over at Lenovo tells me that the developers have released the 4.1.1 source to U.S. personnel. He says that means the source should be available soon :cool:.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I am stuck nothing, without knowing why it isn't booting, well I am running around in the dark , but I do have a idea that the kernel is not flashing, that's from past experience. It would be so easy if there was a cm10 ROM out for a resent lenovo product, with a tegra 3 CPU, I am using a ROM from nexus 7 as a base:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what:

How far are you now? I built the cm10 from source today Development: Cyanogenmod 10 for the A2109 - Lenovo Community runs slow, no wifi, had to disable 3d rendering just to stop system ui from crashing, it's a start, anyway your rom now booting? I may look at some nexus 7 roms.

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
How far are you now? I built the cm10 from source today Development: Cyanogenmod 10 for the A2109 - Lenovo Community runs slow, no wifi, had to disable 3d rendering just to stop system ui from crashing, it's a start, anyway your rom now booting? I may look at some nexus 7 roms.

No haven't worked on it.
WiFi issues are always a kernel issue on the most part, so saying that, I think we need a kernel developer, I think the existing kernel is not compatible, just a guess. It's going to be a long road ahead

Here's the download link for my port, used a nexus 7 ROM.http://d-h.st/rMO
Hangs on the boot screen

Last edited:

rwaterspf1

Jan 1, 2013
I sync'd the CM 10.1 source and have been perusing through it to see how things fit together. For someone with no Android experience this seems like a massive project. I think I will start on a smaller scale first. I have built quite a few kernels (x86, x86_64, MIPS) so the learning curve for ARM might be a good place to get my feet wet :) kernel source ..check, pull /proc/config.gz...check, toolchain...check. From looking at the config file it looks like it could be optimized quite a bit :)

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
I sync'd the CM 10.1 source and have been perusing through it to see how things fit together. For someone with no Android experience this seems like a massive project. I think I will start on a smaller scale first. I have built quite a few kernels (x86, x86_64, MIPS) so the learning curve for ARM might be a good place to get my feet wet :) kernel source ..check, pull /proc/config.gz...check, toolchain...check. From looking at the config file it looks like it could be optimized quite a bit :)

Have you built an Android kernel from source before? If not, check out my guide: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...elopment/51856-how-compile-deploy-kernel.html

rwaterspf1

Jan 1, 2013
Have you built an Android kernel from source before? If not, check out my guide: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...elopment/51856-how-compile-deploy-kernel.html

I did build the stock Lenovo kernel, went about it slightly different than the guide but got the same results :) Looks like both ICS and JB use the 3.1.10 so will be interesting see what is different. I took the stock lenovo source release (ICS) and plugged in my JB config. To my surprise it built. Haven't had the courage to flash it and see if it works haha

My "slight difference" was instead of putting my pulled ICS config (b/c I don't have one) I looked in arch/arm/configs and it has the defconfig there, then i added my pulled jb config to arch/arm/configs/a2109_defconfig so I can just make distclean and tell it which defconfig to use.

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
I wouldn't worry about flashing the kernel, the worst thing that will happen is a boot loop or your boot screen will hang, it's not ported from another device, so you should be safe, what changes have you made in your build?

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
I did build the stock Lenovo kernel, went about it slightly different than the guide but got the same results :) Looks like both ICS and JB use the 3.1.10 so will be interesting see what is different. I took the stock lenovo source release (ICS) and plugged in my JB config. To my surprise it built. Haven't had the courage to flash it and see if it works haha

My "slight difference" was instead of putting my pulled ICS config (b/c I don't have one) I looked in arch/arm/configs and it has the defconfig there, then i added my pulled jb config to arch/arm/configs/a2109_defconfig so I can just make distclean and tell it which defconfig to use.

Ooh... I'm not sure the default config has a clue which code is implemented and which isn't. It compiled, which is a good sign, but there may be driver problems. That's my best guess, at least... I'm still fumbling around with the concepts.

rwaterspf1

Jan 1, 2013
Ooh... I'm not sure the default config has a clue which code is implemented and which isn't. It compiled, which is a good sign, but there may be driver problems. That's my best guess, at least... I'm still fumbling around with the concepts.

I don't have /proc/config.gz from the ICS built ROM. If you have that could you compare it to $kernelsrc/arch/arm/configs/tegra3_android_defconfig. should be the same since it is the only config there, the "stock" android kernel src has quite a few

rwaterspf1

Jan 1, 2013
I wouldn't worry about flashing the kernel, the worst thing that will happen is a boot loop or your boot screen will hang, it's not ported from another device, so you should be safe, what changes have you made in your build?

No changes yet as the kernel source is from ICS and I took the /proc/config.gz from my JB device to configure/compile it. It is the same kernel version tho. Need to make sure it will boot the JB rom before i start fiddling too much

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
It's a zip file? Flash image GUI is a apk that flashes kernels if their zip files, remember to wipe cache and dalvik b4 you flash through recovery, you already know that:) :) I've flashed more than a few kernels on my phone

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
No changes yet as the kernel source is from ICS and I took the /proc/config.gz from my JB device to configure/compile it. It is the same kernel version tho. Need to make sure it will boot the JB rom before i start fiddling too much

The kernels are from the same source that's how I can dual boot ics and jellybean, had they been from a different source I couldn't dual boot unless I swapped the bootloader on each boot. I unpacked the ics boot.img and replaced it the ics kernel with jb kernel then flashed jb bootloader so both my ics and jb are running jb kernels, in their own boot.img.

The jb kernel can load the the ics modules, cause they are from same source.