Development Updates

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Most confusing post, I have read today. You claim you won't flash a kernel unless it's needed, nor do you believe there is any benefit in ocing. Then you admit you not only run a custom kernel on your phone, it's also oced. LOL.

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
Most confusing post, I have read today. You claim you won't flash a kernel unless it's needed, nor do you believe there is any benefit in ocing. Then you admit you not only run a custom kernel on your phone, it's also oced. LOL.

I have no choice but to use a custom kernel although it's not oc

(Don't ask me for help, as I don't care if your phone or tablet explodes, eh:) :) :) :) :) )

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
Thanks but I'm trying to learn a little more before I start messing with kernels. I'm mostly a themer so I never messed with any code that wasn't copy and paste LOL.

Thats cool.
How is smartassV2 working? Thats the governor I would like to have.

Sent from my HTC myTouch 4g using Tapatalk 2

Governors are pretty much copy & paste. You should give it a try. You just have to find a kernel with the governor.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk HD

Linsalata28

Dec 24, 2012
Governors are pretty much copy & paste. You should give it a try. You just have to find a kernel with the governor.

Yeah I was reading a guide on XDA about compiling kernels. I sill have to setup my ubuntu over again. When I first setup my dual boot I didn't make a big enough partition to start trying to compile. I've just been being lazy about it and reading first anyway. I've been using VTS ( Virtuous Ten Studio) on windows for now to make any mods to apk's. I'll get around to it soon enough, I need to learn more first any way.

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
Did you read my post, my CPU is set at 1154 MHz which is not oced, I will not oc any kernel, the disadvantages out weigh the advantages, every CPU has a thermald threshold, if you oc, well kiss your tablet goodbye as your CPU and GPU will fry, I have all lot of experience with kernels both good ones and bad ones , I am not going to get into a flaming war nor do I claim to know every thing but I do know what my phone can take so unless you have an evo 3d please keep your remarks to yourself

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Yeah I was reading a guide on XDA about compiling kernels. I sill have to setup my ubuntu over again. When I first setup my dual boot I didn't make a big enough partition to start trying to compile. I've just been being lazy about it and reading first anyway. I've been using VTS ( Virtuous Ten Studio) on windows for now to make any mods to apk's. I'll get around to it soon enough, I need to learn more first any way.

What I do on my computer, I actually boot 4 different distros, I have a separate build partition, it's on another drive completely, i rarely make my Linux partitions big enough for compiling and modding. i have a separate 250 GB partition just for that, i can access it no matter what distro I am in and can compile on it, each distro has it's own compile directory.

Linsalata28

Dec 24, 2012
What I do on my computer, I actually boot 4 different distros, I have a separate build partition, it's on another drive completely, i rarely make my Linux partitions big enough for compiling and modding. i have a separate 250 GB partition just for that, i can access it no matter what distro I am in and can compile on it, each distro has it's own compile directory.

I'm a noob when it comes to computers. I only started messing with them when I started moding android. How would I set that up? I got this laptop used and it had a 250gb partition on it already. Thats where I booted ubuntu from but only for 20gb. I read about mounting it but most guides seemed more dangerous then just redoing my whole setup. Its dual booted with w7 and ubuntu 12.04LTS. I have most things for android installed on both except tools to compile. Is it possible to remove all my tools for android and run them from the partition? If you have a link to a guide that would help it would be great.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I have never used ubuntu, but it should work the same as my Linux or similar, you use gparted to make the partition what ever size you want, then format as ext4. Once done you mount the partition, then create your work area ie, directory and copy there any tools you want. when you decide to compile or build something just mount the partition and use it like you use your normal desktop.

example my work directory for lenovo kernel is /media/sdb2/vampirefo/lenovo/A2109N_GPL_kernel_570

I just open Nautilus and navigate to /media/sdb2/vampirefo/lenovo/A2109N_GPL_kernel_570 from there I run kernel build scripts to build kernels, now /media/sdb2/vampirefo/ has several sub directories you just make them as many as you want.

Linsalata28

Dec 24, 2012
I have never used ubuntu, but it should work the same as my Linux or similar, you use gparted to make the partition what ever size you want, then format as ext4. Once done you mount the partition, then create your work area ie, directory and copy there any tools you want. when you decide to compile or build something just mount the partition and use it like you use your normal desktop.

example my work directory for lenovo kernel is /media/sdb2/vampirefo/lenovo/A2109N_GPL_kernel_570

I just open Nautilus and navigate to /media/sdb2/vampirefo/lenovo/A2109N_GPL_kernel_570 from there I run kernel build scripts to build kernels, now /media/sdb2/vampirefo/ has several sub directories you just make them as many as you want.

Am I able to use gparted to resize my ubuntu partition? If not since I can't get into my windows on this computer can I use it to wipe that partition, resize it and make a bigger partition to install a new version of ubuntu on till I get windows8?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Am I able to use gparted to resize my ubuntu partition? If not since I can't get into my windows on this computer can I use it to wipe that partition, resize it and make a bigger partition to install a new version of ubuntu on till I get windows8?

Yes you can format the windows partition with gparted, You need to know how your bootloader is setup, but if you are going to install Ubuntu on the window partition, the new bootloader should automatically pickup and add your old ubuntu install on boot menu.

Linsalata28

Dec 24, 2012
Yes you can format the windows partition with gparted, You need to know how your bootloader is setup, but if you are going to install Ubuntu on the window partition, the new bootloader should automatically pickup and add your old ubuntu install on boot menu.

I want to wipe out the existing ubuntu and then split my hd in about half. When I run the ubuntu CD and go to install it after choosing the size I want it says (no root file system is defined) I'm at a loss here and can't figure out what to do here.

Edit: also what file system do I want to use e.g EXT4, EXT3, FAT16 ext....?

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
it's asking you where to install your root, some people install root and home on separate partition, I don't, I do a single install, use ext4.

you should have a drop down box that shows all parts of Linux that can be installed by itself from that box choose root.

Linsalata28

Dec 24, 2012
it's asking you where to install your root, some people install root and home on separate partition, I don't, I do a single install, use ext4.

you should have a drop down box that shows all parts of Linux that can be installed by itself from that box choose root.

Thanks for the help. I setup ubuntu 12.04LTS with 175gb and I also have a 350gb external hard drive and left the rest of the 500gb for when I get w8. That should be fine. Ionly have 4gb ddr2 RAM but that should be fine for building.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Yes 4GB is plenty, for compiling, 2GB or above is fine.

download the kernel source and give it a try, we don't have jb source yet, just ics, they are similar enough you can build and boot either jb or ics kernel, some jb source is missing from the ics source, doesn't effect straight build, but effects LOCALVERSION, not important to most people.

Last edited: