Diary of an unrooted nook

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
A couple of days ago I went back to stock, I unrooted my Nook color because I want to be ready to get the promised update from Barnes& Nobel,. I want to keep a kind of a diary, until the mods will shut my thread , a diary of my misery. No more apps exept fpr the few that came with the NC. What do I miss the most? I certainly miss set CPU, Iset it up so well with $11-04-18-2.png the help of JP that my battery charge would last me almost 9 hours. Today I played with my nook only for 4 or 5 hours. I hate to open it and not to see my beautiful screens full of app so today I spent some time to find a pic on a magazine I subscibed to , to use as a wallpaper, I don't particularly dig the B&N wallpapers. So this is the best I could do with my home scren.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Unrooting a NC is like using turpentine to clean the Mona Lisa.. Sure, there is a piece of nice white canvas underneath all that paint; but what is the point without the paint? Re-root that thing girl! I'd say that out of the box it'll be better than what we all bought, but BN's update is still going to be a major downgrade from what we have with CM7

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
I feel your loss, and I too am in a techno-logic depression of sorts waiting for the upgrade as I never tried any of the custom roms. I started using my shiney new NC right from the start and I couldn't even think of having it not work for any period of time so I never messed with it other that to root it. I guess we will have to bear this wait together.

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
This upgrade is it right up there with Santa and the Easter bunny? 8) We could be waiting a while.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Guys, check out my new thread in Tech to create bootable CM7. You can leave your Nook stock and un-nootered if you really want to have the thing ready to go as soon as the update hits (if ever) and like RaVenJ said have CM7 which rocks and is probably better than whatever is about to drop anyway.

Not only will you be ready to update but you can pop the SD card out at any time and boot right into Nook for its great reading functions.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

Thanks to the devs for creating CM7 and to verygreen for making it bootable. :)
JP

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
JP, I knew there was a bootable CM7 but I thought one had to have a root. Great news, I' m going to try, I miss my apps.I have to say this though, now surfing the web, my nook is much faster than when rooted and also the wifi connection happens faster .You tube is awful though.....can I see youtube with the bootable CM7..?
@RaVenJ- I like the analogy of the Monna Lisa, last night I spent one hour looking at the beautiful screenshots in my thread. My idea was to get the update and then to root again because the devs are going to find a way fast enough after the update, at least that's what everybody is saying.
Chers from my poor unrooted Nook sigh!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The Mona Lisa was a good example of the priceless analogies on this board :)

Gg CM7 runs the youtube app well and can even run the youtube webpage since it has Flash! The web page is a little choppy though so I still use the youtube app but for other video sites you can watch videos right in the browser which is great.

I just ran some benchmark scores and even running from my SD card (which is admitedly a fast card, class 10) it is 79% faster than stock. You won't regret it and you can always power down pop out the card and be right back to stock.

JP

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Can you do this on an autonootered NC? Or do you have to start from stock?

Sent from my Nook Color using Android Tablet Forum

WillysJeepMan

Jan 5, 2011
Can you do this on an autonootered NC? Or do you have to start from stock?

Sent from my Nook Color using Android Tablet Forum
Yes you can.

I was less than impressed with CM7. Some things ran better than an autonootered NC (like GMail) but there were other things that ran worse... Google Reader and a few other apps switched into "small screen" mode (similar to running iPod-only apps on an iPad) even though those apps ran fullscreen on the stock nc Android. Battery life was shorter with CM7. I found the rooted 2.1 system to overall run smoother and consistently than CM7.

But I know that I'm in the minority with this opinion.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Willys, just curious, but what version of CM7 were you running? I have only been on the stable version for a couple of days so haven't really had a chance to run into issues yet but I know many people have been following through all of the nightlies which had their kinks to work out along the way. I have noticed battery life is not as good as with SetCPU on 2.1.

An overclocked autonootered device is pretty hard to beat for somoothness, battery life and lack of issues. There are a couple of neat tricks the 2.2 and 2.3 builds bring to the table though including flash and bluetooth and honeycomb style tablet soft buttons.

:)

WillysJeepMan

Jan 5, 2011
Willys, just curious, but what version of CM7 were you running? I have only been on the stable version for a couple of days so haven't really had a chance to run into issues yet but I know many people have been following through all of the nightlies which had their kinks to work out along the way. I have noticed battery life is not as good as with SetCPU on 2.1.

An overclocked autonootered device is pretty hard to beat for somoothness, battery life and lack of issues. There are a couple of neat tricks the 2.2 and 2.3 builds bring to the table though including flash and bluetooth and honeycomb style tablet soft buttons.

:)
I was running the first stable release after 7.0 was released.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
IJP, you want to make me installCM7 and I'm hearing all this bad things about it. I think I should auto nooter again and this time ovrclock as well since my main concern is still the battery. I' m a little busy right now with real life things as Faceman put it, not too much time to play but always enjoyng the forum and my nook
gloria

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
IJP, you want to make me installCM7 and I'm hearing all this bad things about it. I think I should auto nooter again and this time ovrclock as well since my main concern is still the battery. I' m a little busy right now with real life things as Faceman put it, not too much time to play but always enjoyng the forum and my nook
gloria

Nothing to be scared of CM7 runs fine, not perfect but fine. Besides it is a bootable SD so pop it out and you are right back to normal. Nothing to lose. :)

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
For the small screen fix just go to spare parts and unclick compatibility mode

Yes you can.

I was less than impressed with CM7. Some things ran better than an autonootered NC (like GMail) but there were other things that ran worse... Google Reader and a few other apps switched into "small screen" mode (similar to running iPod-only apps on an iPad) even though those apps ran fullscreen on the stock nc Android. Battery life was shorter with CM7. I found the rooted 2.1 system to overall run smoother and consistently than CM7.

But I know that I'm in the minority with this opinion.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk