Difference ?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
The official firmware is officially supported by the tablet, unrooted.

The custom firmware has some extra goodies in it (it is rooted, has CIFS and USB support built in the kernel, overclocking, OpenVPN tunnel enabled and it is Deodexed)

CIFS - Common Internet File System (allows native access to network shares in the file system). One can mount a network drive on another computer in the OS.

De-odex - Apk files have respective odexes that devs use to supposedly save space. Deodexing means you convert it back to a .dex file and put it back inside the apk. This allows you to easily replace files (not having to worry about odexes), but the main point was to deodex services.jar so that you can change all text to different colors (such as the clock color to white) and to deodex services.jar, you need to deodex everything.

Rooting - Gaining full Read/Write access to the entire device. Read more about it here: http://goo.gl/F7LIg

Faizan91

Jul 2, 2012
The official firmware is officially supported by the tablet, unrooted.

The custom firmware has some extra goodies in it (it is rooted, has CIFS and USB support built in the kernel, overclocking, OpenVPN tunnel enabled and it is Deodexed)

CIFS - Common Internet File System (allows native access to network shares in the file system). One can mount a network drive on another computer in the OS.

De-odex - Apk files have respective odexes that devs use to supposedly save space. Deodexing means you convert it back to a .dex file and put it back inside the apk. This allows you to easily replace files (not having to worry about odexes), but the main point was to deodex services.jar so that you can change all text to different colors (such as the clock color to white) and to deodex services.jar, you need to deodex everything.

Rooting - Gaining full Read/Write access to the entire device. Read more about it here: What is Rooting on Android? The Advantages and Disadvantages | Droid Lessons

So which one should be updated OFFICIAL or CUSTOM ?

From your reply , i think Custom one is better, no ?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I am a fan of rooted devices myself, so I would go with custom.

Be aware - since you have root, if you are not careful you can bork it up so it will not boot, or run smoothly. Running the Official firmware will keep this from happening.

Faizan91

Jul 2, 2012
I am a fan of rooted devices myself, so I would go with custom.

Be aware - since you have root, if you are not careful you can bork it up so it will not boot, or run smoothly. Running the Official firmware will keep this from happening.

Ah i see,
one more thing once we have updated the latest firmware, can we "UN-update" it and restore the previous one somehow ?

aram19

Sep 24, 2012
All ainol products were rooted..dont need to change firmware if your tablets works well..i bought an ainol tornados and i did not root it but all apps that needs root seems to work well..!