Disable Cell Phone Standby - Kyros MID7012

setshot50

Feb 2, 2012
Greetings all. I am a complete newbie to the Android world. It appears the cell phone standby feature is severely draining my battery and seems to be a common problem. I've looked at some of the other posts but am not certain I understand the process. Would someone mind offering their recommendations on if I should do this and, if so, how? Many thanks!

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
No, it's not a problem. It's actually a common misconception: there is no cell phone circuitry in the tablet so there is no way it can use battery, it's just the name that the system uses when there is no active connection via WiFi.

setshot50

Feb 2, 2012
So disabling the cell phone standby is not something that needs to be done? If not, how can I find what is draining the battery? Many thanks.

jpisini

Dec 29, 2011
If you have rooted your tablet you can rename phone.apk and the other is telephoney something can't find the exact name right now they are in /system/apps. You can use root explorer to do this you have to remember to mount the directory as read/write.

setshot50

Feb 2, 2012
Thanks for the reply. How do I go about rooting the tablet? And are there any risks associated with rooting?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
So disabling the cell phone standby is not something that needs to be done? If not, how can I find what is draining the battery? Many thanks.

No, it's not needed. Obviously, the other things listed are the ones that are really draining the battery. ;)

setshot50

Feb 2, 2012
No, it's not needed. Obviously, the other things listed are the ones that are really draining the battery. ;)

Thanks for the reply. How can I go about identifying those things that could help maximize my battery life?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Huh? There is a place in Android Settings where it shows battery drain statistics (usually About phone/tablet -> Battery use), I thought it was where you've found out about cell phone standby... This is the best place to look, since it's already running on the system, so you don't need to install anything else. You can install 3rd party utilities as well, probably there are many. I don't like anything that works "automatically", like JuiceDefender, etc because they will use system resources in the end, but it's a personal choice. The best things to do are:
- only enable anything that uses radio (wifi, bluetooth, etc) when you actually need them, otherwise keep them off or use Airplane mode;
- keep LCD brightness to a comfortable minimum;
- Avoid apps that run in the background like some messengers and other apps.

setshot50

Feb 2, 2012
Huh? There is a place in Android Settings where it shows battery drain statistics (usually About phone/tablet -> Battery use), I thought it was where you've found out about cell phone standby... This is the best place to look, since it's already running on the system, so you don't need to install anything else. You can install 3rd party utilities as well, probably there are many. I don't like anything that works "automatically", like JuiceDefender, etc because they will use system resources in the end, but it's a personal choice. The best things to do are:
- only enable anything that uses radio (wifi, bluetooth, etc) when you actually need them, otherwise keep them off or use Airplane mode;
- keep LCD brightness to a comfortable minimum;
- Avoid apps that run in the background like some messengers and other apps.

Yes, that is where I found that "cell standby" was using 78% of my battery. "Display" is only 17% and "wi-fi" is 6%. Is there anything I can do to decrease the usage by "cell standby?"

whitepine

Feb 4, 2012
I also have a MID7012. I rooted it, changed the names of phone.apk and telephony.apk and then restarted the tablet. Cell standby was then gone from the list of power consuming devices, but, it made NO difference in my battery life. Ifom is right. This doesn´t work at all. His other advice is also good.