Disanvantages / Advantages of Android 2.2 vs. 2.1

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
Well I was forced to upgrade, because my tablet bricked after I Rooted it, and installed several apps that needed rooting, not really sure what I did wrong. Nothing seemed to bring it back to life, so I did the 2.2 upgrade via the USB cable. Went fine.

Positives:

-:)Android 2.2 is MUCH faster.
-:)The lagging that lasted for the first few minutes of operation is gone.
-:)The Keyboard is much more precise and fast.

Negatives:

-:(Task bar along the top is cut off on the right side (back button) when in portrait mode.
-:mad:Difficulty turning off.

Cat88Extreme

Mar 15, 2011
Sorry to hear about bricking it. I'm surprised that rooting it did that since I have rooted and unrooted many times using the same program and as I stated in my other post, I occasionally get the Fugoo message, but I just hit root again and it works with no problem.

As for positives/negatives, flash no longer works with update, but since it's a beta update, I'm sure that will be fixed with the final update.

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
Sorry to hear about bricking it. I'm surprised that rooting it did that .....

It wasn't just rooting, but several other apps I installed after... not really sure, I was careful. But I powered it down for the night, and it would not boot up the next morning.

As for positives/negatives, flash no longer works with update, but since it's a beta update, I'm sure that will be fixed with the final update.

Flash didn't really work with the 2.1 version, but they had that the SKYFIRE browser, that sorta worked with flash Which is not present on 2.2, however the You tube app is there, and that works, also the movie player works fine with flash (.flv) video's.

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
CBS tv app works on Android 2.1 tablets but closes on the 2.2 version that we have.

It acts a little funny. It starts with the splash screen, then goes to a blank screen with an Banner AD on top and "X < > []" prompts on the bottom.
I press "X" (only one lit up) then it goes to the regular pick from screen.

So I pick something, commercial starts, then sometimes in closes abruptly.
But then it restarts automatically, as before, then if I select the same video commercial and video play OK this time.

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
I get some what I'll call digital noise across the top of the screen sometimes. Sorta looks like static.
It usually clears up right away.

But my guess is that some variable is being written into the wrong part of memory, thus corrupting the video data.
Classic programming error in "C" since there are no boundary checks built in.
But it's a little scary, erroneously writing to some memory location can mess a lot of things up.

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
On a Flytouch II, the menu bar gets cut off as well in portrait mode running 2.1. I think that it is an android thing that is applicable to both firmwares.