DISCUSSION - Development Index and Root Utility

cps0824

Oct 25, 2012
Thanks for the heads up but im new to this . i wish there was a video or a better set of instructions. im a windows user. im still stuck on formatting the sd card

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
This process requires a bit of knowledge about what you're doing, since it involves modifying critical system files. If those files are improperly modified, at best the device simply will not boot past the Android logo. At worst, you'll permanently brick the tablet.

Therefore, if you don't know what you're doing, do not root. At least, don't root until you take the time to learn about the process through a simple Google search. Or else download the Amazon appstore and install it to get your apps.

cps0824

Oct 25, 2012
extract utility to what directory? can u provide clearer instructions thanks

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
No, I can't. Working with compressed files is basic stuff you should already know how to do. If you don't, Google it.

cps0824

Oct 25, 2012
Dont worry about it thanks anyway...how about posting simple instructions>>

cps0824

Oct 25, 2012
ANYONE WISH TO SHARE STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS ...I WAS TOLD TO GOOGLE IT ..LOL... BUT

1. Extract the utility to a directory.
  2. Rename the previously downloaded stock image to "stock_recovery.img" and the CWM recovery image as "cwm_recovery.img".
  3. Copy these two files to the "data" directory in the directory where the utility was extracted to.
  4. Run the utility.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
cps0824 said:
ANYONE WISH TO SHARE STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS ...I WAS TOLD TO GOOGLE IT ..LOL... BUT

[*]Extract the utility to a directory.
[*]Rename the previously downloaded stock image to "stock_recovery.img" and the CWM recovery image as "cwm_recovery.img".
[*]Copy these two files to the "data" directory in the directory where the utility was extracted to.
[*]Run the utility.

You were told to use google and apparently it worked. Now you have recovery installed.

Akivaran

Nov 6, 2012
Rooting and Dump Utility (updated 10/23/12):
Disclaimer: There have been incidents recently (as of 10/22/12) regarding devices either becoming bricked or being rendered so unstable as to be virtually useless. The common denominator in all these incidents is that the end users installed custom ROMs using Livesuite and then proceeded to use the root utility to install Clockworkmod. Given ADB's track record of reliability with millions of Android devices, the only conclusion I can draw from this is that Livesuite is the cause of the problem. Therefore, if you have used Livesuite to install a ROM, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THIS UTILITY. Using the root utility on a Livesuite-modified tablet may cause damage to the firmware which may not be fixable by any means, even with a system dump. Should you choose to use the utility despite this warning, you do so at your own risk.

I have a 7042 that I flashed using Livesuite, can I use it to flash Vampirefo's custome CM9 image, safely or reliably? I've had a few issues with encryption errors and rebooting, I was hoping that a new mod would clean them up.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You should have read the disclaimer a little bit more carefully. If you hadn't used Livesuite to begin with I could have given you reasonable assurance that you could in fact flash CM9 safely and reliably. CM9 cannot be installed using Livesuite, but must be installed using ClockworkMod.

However since you used a Livesuite ROM, there's no way that I, in good conscience, can recommend that you use the root utility. If you want to try the root utility anyway, that's up to you. But be aware that if you do and something goes wrong, you likely will not be able to recover from it.

You have been warned.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
This is the discussion thread for the root tools for the Generation 3 Tablets. Please do not post concerns or issues in the sticky thread but post them here.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You need to redo your dump. You're missing boot.img, bootloader.img, and recovery.img. Also, what you did provide is supposed to be in a compressed tar file, system.tgz.