DISCUSSION - Development Index and Root Utility

samkamer

Nov 29, 2012
I get to root@android screen in my command prompt and it will not accept keyboard instructions at that point with the mempodroid. Any thoughts on that?

Can you please tell what commands you tried and what error if any you got ? The first thing you may have to do is to remount the system partition using busybox. Just shooting in the dark that may be you have not done that ?

Anthony0903

Dec 2, 2012
Ok so i rooted my 9042 and i have superuser. but now im having a problem trying to use the clockworkmod i cant find the link to get it can anyone help?

Ralphie_77

Dec 3, 2012
How do I manually run mempodroid from the CobyADB? I have followed your directions thoughout (as well as Traveller1701). I too have a MID7036. I also think I will be following your next steps on Page 3 so please keep the step by steps coming!

Also, how do I confirm that I am rooted?

Thank you all for the great work!

Ralph

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
@Ralphie_77: You don't use the root utility to root your 7036. There is another root method by Vampirefo for your tablet, which is linked in the sticky post I mentioned, along with the copy of ClockworkMod recovery for Anthony0903.

It's easy to confirm if you're rooted. When you boot the tablet, you should have Superuser in the app drawer.

@Anthony0903: Actually taking the time to thoroughly read the aforementioned sticky post would go a long way towards solving your issue.

Anthony0903

Dec 2, 2012
ok traveller well i believe i have the CWM now im just having an issue installing it i have read everything and i guess i just dont understand how to do it so sorry for "pissing" you off and irritating you...im just here to get some help cause i dont understand

Mrdaviso

Mar 29, 2011
Ok I made a dump originally but can't adb through recovery to restore. I've tried it on cwm 5 and 6 with no luck, on 5 I get "unknown device" and on 6 I get "Full" as the new hardware message. My question I guess is had someone made a cwm backup if the stock mid7042 fw or is there some way for me to do so myself with the dump files? Thanks in advance for your time.

Sent from my HTC GLACIER using Xparent Blue 2
My Race Videos

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Ok I made a dump originally but can't adb through recovery to restore. I've tried it on cwm 5 and 6 with no luck, on 5 I get "unknown device" and on 6 I get "Full" as the new hardware message. My question I guess is had someone made a cwm backup if the stock mid7042 fw or is there some way for me to do so myself with the dump files? Thanks in advance for your time.

My Race Videos

There are at least 2 hardware versions of the 7042. If you dont have a cw recovery backup, you can restore from this thread:

How to Restore 7042, 8042, 9742 Dump

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011

My Race Videos

The recoveries do allow adb in recovery mode, windows sometimes doesn't allow this, so you need to reinstall windows drivers while having tablet connected in recovery mode. easiest method is to run Linux from a livecd and you can use adb without the need of drivers.

Mrdaviso

Mar 29, 2011
The recoveries do allow adb in recovery mode, windows sometimes doesn't allow this, so you need to reinstall windows drivers while having tablet connected in recovery mode. easiest method is to run Linux from a livecd and you can use adb without the need of drivers.

I've been uninstalling drivers and switching recoveries for days now. The link to the windows usb fix in the other thread(sorry, thought I posted there)didn't help either, a freshly wiped backup of the stock firmware would be grand..... And model specific forums would be nice too, maybe I'm just spoiled.

My Race Videos

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Thats up to you all to make backups, I don't use windows so no ideal about it's drivers.

jmh_vera

Dec 10, 2012
Make a copy of the stock recovery that you created in the "Create System dump" step. Place that copy in the data subdirectory of the utility and rename it to "stock_recovery.img". Take the copy of ClockworkMod you just downloaded, unzip it if it comes in a zip file, place it in the data subdirectory of the utility, then rename the file to "cwm_recovery.img". Then run "root_restore.bat". Have your device connected to the PC just as if you were going to root the tablet, but at the selection menu in the utility, select the "Recovery" option. At the next menu choice, select ClockworkMod and follow the prompts. When finished the tablet will reboot into ClockworkMod. Make a backup of the ROM at this point, using ClockworkMod's "Backup and restore" function.

Hi, i have a 1042 and i followed your steps, I have alredy rooted my 1042 and dumped the files in accordance with your instructions. However, i cant install CWM recovery. I downloaded the 1042 ClockworkMod recovery image from the thread you linked ("Linux Users, Coby 1042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite") but inside that ZIP i just downloaded i have the following items inside "Data" folder: reboot-recovery, install-recovery.sh, root.sh, mempodroid, su, superuser.apk and recovery.img.

Which of those files should I rename to
"cwm_recovery.img"???

Thanks!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You're asking which file to rename? You can't be serious.

There's only one .img file in the zip, and that's the one you rename.