DISCUSSION - Development Index and Root Utility

az2974

Dec 10, 2012
After 2nd reboot with a 7035-4 and after I enable usb debugging and press a key. I get a cannot start 'su': No Such file or directory

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
It's likely a fluke since this has been proven to work on your device. So run it again, and while I didn't need to do this, you might want to run the command prompt with Admin privileges. Also, make sure the directory that houses the root tool is on the root of your drive and has no spaces in its name.

az2974

Dec 10, 2012
Updated process as you stated.... I am getting a new error Failed to copy su to /system/bin/su read only filesystem

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Read-only filesystem? Coby may have changed the hardware on this tablet. One of our developers will have to provide added help, as this is not root utility related.

flosam

Dec 18, 2012
hi, i'm from spain and i'm glad to find you because at last i have found a way to have play store on my 1042, the only issue i've got is: i have root installed because i can see the "superuser" app installed on my device and i have downloaded all the archives you've got posted on this tutorial, so, i open my "dump files" and copy the "recovery.img", rename it, and place it into the data subdirectory of the "CobyADB" folder, then i copy the "recovery.img" file from "1042_root_recovery" folder (i supose this one is the cwm folder you refer to), rename it and copy it to the data subdirectory of the "CobyADB" folder. After it, i run "root_restore.bat" and follow the steps ( press "c", type "cwm", yes) and the process starts, but when pushing the cwm_ "recovery.img" it says an error similar to this: "fail to copy recovery_cwm.img to ..." then it says that the device willreboot on recovery mode, and thats true, but in the native ics recovery mode.

the question is, what am i doing wrong?? can anybody help me??

thanks for all helping answers!!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Check to be sure you don't have double extensions on your files. If you don't have extensions visible in Windows, when you rename a file, adding an extension because you don't see it results in file.txt becoming file.txt.txt.

Last edited:

flosam

Dec 18, 2012
thanks traveller for your quick answer, but i didn´t double the extensions so that is not the problem.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Over a thousand people have downloaded and used the root utility with success, so either you've not renamed the recovery images correctly or else your CWM image is corrupt. Stock recovery should be "stock_recovery.img" and ClockworkMod should be "cwm_recovery.img". Please note that we have had users in the past who have in fact named their stock recovery "cwm_recovery.img", which led them to never getting CWM on their tablet until they checked. Thus, be absolutely sure you've got everything correct.

I don't believe your CWM download is corrupt, but if it is I would download CWM again, rename it, and go through the process once more.

Mrdaviso

Mar 29, 2011
hi, i'm from spain and i'm glad to find you because at last i have found a way to have play store on my 1042, the only issue i've got is: i have root installed because i can see the "superuser" app installed on my device and i have downloaded all the archives you've got posted on this tutorial, so, i open my "dump files" and copy the "recovery.img", rename it, and place it into the data subdirectory of the "CobyADB" folder, then i copy the "recovery.img" file from "1042_root_recovery" folder (i supose this one is the cwm folder you refer to), rename it and copy it to the data subdirectory of the "CobyADB" folder. After it, i run "root_restore.bat" and follow the steps ( press "c", type "cwm", yes) and the process starts, but when pushing the cwm_ "recovery.img" it says an error similar to this: "fail to copy recovery_cwm.img to ..." then it says that the device willreboot on recovery mode, and thats true, but in the native ics recovery mode.

the question is, what am i doing wrong?? can anybody help me??

thanks for all helping answers!!

This is not a flawless method by any means despite Buffy's rude replies to requests for help. I had to set permissions with root explorer after rooting but before the reboot to all the files pushed to data/local/tmp to do this I used root explorer, upon doing this both my 7042's rebooted into cwm. Hope it helps you out.

EDIT
Damn actually, I had to use another script to install the recovery altogether because this one ran automatically through the process. Let Mr get back to you on the one I used..... Maybe the info is helpful at least to identify the problem

EDIT 2
I REMEMBERED..... AFTER SETTING THE PERMISSIONS I RAN THE SCRIPT WITH ROOT EXPLORER. AND IT WORKED. meaning I just clicked the install_cwm_recovery.sh or whatever it is called from root explorer, if it asks, click the linux script handler option.

Sent from my HTC GLACIER using Xparent Blue 2
My Race Videos

Last edited:

flosam

Dec 18, 2012
thanks to both traveller and mrdaviso for your help, but finally... i've got it!!! i have had to make a factory reset because i think that the several attempts to do the process had corrupted my device anyway. after the factory reset, i started the process from the cwm section (the root was still there after the factory reset), made a new dump and take the new recovery files, renamed them, run recovery_restore.bat, typed c, typed cwm, typed y, and... voila!the device rebooted on cwm recovery mode, and then i installed gapps. now google play is running on my 1042 succesfully!!

pd.: to do the factory reset, i had to press the "reset" button on the back of the 1042 and the silver button on the front inmediatly. is this way usual?? i had read "vol-"+"power", or "vol-"+"power"+"silver button" but no worked for me, i found this new way here

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3/48890-coby-kyros-1042-suprisely-bricked-2.html

I have had this problem, and I know how to fix it!! Press the reset button on the back of the tablet and immediately hold the big silver button on the front until a screen with lots of selections come up. Use the Volume up/down buttons to scroll and highlight "Factory reset" or something similar. Once highlighted, press the big silver button. The tablet will delete everything. This may take a little while. After done, it should boot! Please reply telling if it works or not!

thanks to russ450 for the new convination for the recovery mode, and thanks to traveller for the tutorial!!

flosam

Dec 18, 2012
now i have another problem: google chrome!! it doesn't want to be installed, i need this browser to stay easyly synchronized with all my devices at home, in the job, my mobile... any solution??

thanks for your help!!