DISCUSSION - Development Index and Root Utility

frostee

Feb 2, 2013
Hold down volume up and volume down + power button

Can't still make this to happen. Anyways, I just had the command typed in the terminal to boot to the recovery mode.

Can we partition the external SD using the recovery mode? I cannot make the partition to work using partition wizard.

justin82

May 28, 2010
stupid question time.. i had thread pulled up but i have since lost it.. with the system dump is there a way to restore it back to stock? i have a mid8042 tablet with clockwork mod. the touch screen does not work i need to restore it back to stock.. thanks

nobi

Mar 5, 2013
This thing is a life saver. Can't believe I wasted so much time trying to do this manually. Thank you guys for all your hard work.

DeepR

Mar 18, 2013
You should have read the disclaimer a little bit more carefully. If you hadn't used Livesuite to begin with I could have given you reasonable assurance that you could in fact flash CM9 safely and reliably. CM9 cannot be installed using Livesuite, but must be installed using ClockworkMod.

However since you used a Livesuite ROM, there's no way that I, in good conscience, can recommend that you use the root utility. If you want to try the root utility anyway, that's up to you. But be aware that if you do and something goes wrong, you likely will not be able to recover from it.

You have been warned.

I actually opened a thread asking about this specific issue. But I still didn't get any reply. LoL!

I have two questions. First one...

Anyway, what I was trying to know is that I already have a ROM in my Coby MID7042 installed using LiveSuite and I don't have access to the stock ROM. So, can I use ClockwordMod to flash CM9 reliably as my device is already rooted?

I mean I don't need to use ADB drivers to root as my device is already rooted do I?

And second question...

Can't I simply use any of the firmware dumps of 7042 found here to go back to my stock ROM?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
That's because some of us work when you're awake, thanks to the time difference. While I have already read your other thread, to answer your questions...

1. Yes, you can use ClockworkMod to flash CM9, but to get ClockworkMod on your device requires you to use ADB. The problem isn't with the root utility or ADB but with LiveSuite. Something in a LiveSuite installation doesn't play nicely with ADB, often resulting in a dead tablet.

2. The problem with using someone else's dump is that the hardware in their dump may differ from yours. This is because Coby frequently changed the innards of the tablets. For example, my 9742 has had at least three changes to the internal hardware in the year that it's been available. Attempting to use one of their firmware dumps to restore your tablet may cause more problems than it solves. Not only that, you still have to use ADB to properly move the files to where they belong, which leads back to the LiveSuite issue.

Shepard

Mar 22, 2013
Big Thanks to Traveller1701 and Vampirefo for all of the files and knowledgable guidance!!

I have a 9742-8 and I have followed all of the steps from Traveller1701 to get it rooted, backed up and I have pushed the ClockworkMod to it. During the CWM install process and after the tablet rebooted into the CWM recovery, I cannot complete the next step of creating a backup because I get an error stating "SD Card space free: 0MB". My tablet did not come with an external MicroSD Card, nor do I have one available to use at present. I am using "CWM-based Recovery v6.0.1.1 for 8042 & 9742 by Vampirefo", and I have already tried the option to "free unused backup data" but I still get the error.

The recovery screen is inverted, but I have read why and I understand that it always will be and doesn't really hurt anything.

By the way - I'm running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit and if it helps, my tablet's system info is as follows:
Android Version: 4.0.3
Kernel Version: 3.0.8+
Build Number: 20120701.123627

I am trying to get the Google Play Store installed using "gapps-ics-20120429-signed" in order to see if some games and apps which are found nowhere else but the Playstore will run on my tablet, but I will hold right where I'm at until I hear back from someone here.

I appreciate your guidance when you have the time to help.

Last edited:

Shepard

Mar 22, 2013
Thanks, That's what I thought. I wil pickup a 32GB MicroSD card tomorrow as that's the largest one supported according to Coby.

Once I get the Nandroid backup of my ROM, I can go directly to installing "BusyBox" and your "Google Play Compatibility Tweaks" from your Tweaks for the MID9742 Stock ROM thread, correct? What I mean is that I don't need to push the "9742 Mobiz ROM" first.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
No...you don't want to flash the Mobiz ROM. It has an unresolved bug where the videos in the YouTube app play upside down.

Busybox should already be installed since it's pushed with the other files using the root utility, but if you want to update your copy of Busybox afterward you can do that through Stericson's Busybox installer in the Play Store. From there, if only to improve the experience, install one of my customized framework-res.apk files. Not only do you get a detailed battery indicator that counts down in increments of 1%, you also get a working Network Location service, meaning the tablet will use surrounding WiFi networks to triangulate your location. I actually have flashable zips available that flash both framework-res.apk and the tweaks at the same time to make it convenient.

Just be sure to have nandroid backups of the tablet before you apply the tweaks, in case something goes wrong.

Sauromatum

Mar 27, 2013
I have a Kyros MID7042. I only want to add gapps to it. I've been researching the various suggested methods that support gapps on 7042. I came across a thread on the Livesuite method, but that seemed too risky. Then I came across the method described on this site on the READ FIRST sticky. So, I followed those instructions. All seemed to go as described until the system dump. A /mnt/sdcard/dump folder was created, but it contains 0 files. So. I'm not sure what the next step would be. I am not sure that it is actually rooted. I have read that if Superuser has installed then it is rooted, and Superuser appears in the apps listing. It would be good to have some input on what to try next. Thanks. I see that there is lots of good work being done by the experts on this issue.

By the way, I removed the external micro sd card before starting this process.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Check the directory where the root utility was placed. You should have a dump directory within it that has your system dump. The utility automatically pulls the dump from /mnt/sdcard using adb and puts it on the PC.

Sauromatum

Mar 27, 2013
Thanks for responding. I do see a "dump" directory on the PC as you describe, however it contains no files!

After selection of [d] Dump System Files, the rooting utility displays
Dumping bootloader.
Dumping boot image.
Dumping recovery image.
Dumping system.

/system/bin/sh: su: cannot execute Permission denied

Pulling files.

0 files pulled 0 files skipped

Last edited: