disgo (my_disgo) UK on Twitter

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
You can look everywhere and anywhere for support these days, even on Twitter.

disgo (my_disgo) UK http://twitter.com/#!/my_disgo is posting updates on their Twitter page.

17 Mar - currently working on a 2.2 update & hopefully it will be released in April with our Disgo Tablet 8000 10.1 Android 2.2 Tablet

27 Apr - Still experiencing technical difficulty at the moment. Sorry for the delay, we are working on trying to find a solution!

27 May - Sorry no update yet!
16 Jun - Hi Sorry for the late reply! The new update is expected hopefully at the start of July! :)

This string of Tweet's is telling, the distributors (Disgo, Sylvania "Digital Gadgets", and others) are having issues with infoTMIC delivering working firmware for these tablets.

meggiedude and other Disgo 6000 owners hang in there you may get an update soon. Friday is "the start of July"!

Last edited:

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
Interesting info.
Thanks for dragging that out of twitter cfrockit.
I assume whatever is provided would have to be a manual install because my unit won't even talk to the update server.

Seeing as there has been a delays with this upgrade, looking at what you've posted above, I don't know how long I am prepared to wait.
My unit runs very hot and the wifi range as I said in the other wifi thread is only a ridiculous 20ft max, even after tweaking the power saving settings, and changing the wifi adapters f/w.
It would have to be a fundamental firmware change to make this thing perform much better.

I could do with knowing from other recent new Disgo 6000 owners whether they see the same, or if its this case mine has dodgy h/w as well as dodgy f/w.
Either that or a source or contact in the company to tell me if this is a 'known problem' and 'fixed in the next rev, sir'

Cheers,

MD

cheesemp

Jun 25, 2011
My disgo with 2.2 works with standard wifi settings/driver for about 20~30 feet. Not as good as my android se x10 phone but not awful either. It does randomily drop the wifi once or twice a charge but then usually connects to my second router...

Sent from my disgo6000 using Android Tablet Forum

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
My disgo with 2.2 works with standard wifi settings/driver for about 20~30 feet. Not as good as my android se x10 phone but not awful either. It does randomily drop the wifi once or twice a charge but then usually connects to my second router...

Sent from my disgo6000 using Android Tablet Forum
Thanks cheesemp.
Following the advise from the main resources page here I have rooted my tablet adjusted the powersetting for the wifi adapter and upgraded the driver http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...resources-synet7lp-sytabex7-disgo-6000-a.html

I may undo this and get back to the default setting you have and see how better that looks. How hot is your unit running - mine is very warm with the default settings, which is not a good sign as far as I am concerned, and suggests to me the unit is struggling to retain a wifi connection - using up more energy.
Also, with default settings, from full charge I only get ~1hr 35mins before the unit dies due to no battery. Is this your experience.

Cheers

MD

PS. FYI, just raised online ticket with my_disgo tech support (a.k.a [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Clever-Stuff Ltd Helpdesk). Fingers crossed.[/FONT]

Last edited:

cheesemp

Jun 25, 2011
My unit is warm but not stupidily so. Probably warmer than my android phone ever gets but not laptop style heat. I've not done much battery testing with mine but I'm sure I've seen two hours before (with factory settings).

For the record I've got about 20ft between my disgo and the router (both N i think) with a chimney and stairs between them and I get between 1 and 2 bars out of three signal.

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
Thanks cheesemp.
Following the advise from the main resources page here I have rooted my tablet adjusted the powersetting for the wifi adapter and upgraded the driver http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...resources-synet7lp-sytabex7-disgo-6000-a.html

I may undo this and get back to the default setting you have and see how better that looks. How hot is your unit running - mine is very warm with the default settings, which is not a good sign as far as I am concerned, and suggests to me the unit is struggling to retain a wifi connection - using up more energy.
Also, with default settings, from full charge I only get ~1hr 35mins before the unit dies due to no battery. Is this your experience.

Cheers

MD

PS. FYI, just raised online ticket with my_disgo tech support (a.k.a Clever-Stuff Ltd Helpdesk). Fingers crossed.

FYI, Scan have emailed to say I have an RMA raised with them with expires on 15th July. So I have until them to either get a fix installed and working, or the unit back with them

My_Disco tech support (a.k.a Clever-Stuff Ltd Helpdesk) have thus far not replied.

I really want this unit to work better, however .......

BTW, when it comes to signal strength, I have a ex-Sky Netgear wireless-G router linking to this tablet.
Alongside a ramp up in speed, does N also make a difference to signal strength, or is it just down to how good the router is, i.e cr*p h/w = poor signal strength, no matter what the protocol

Last edited:

cheesemp

Jun 25, 2011
meggiedude - I had a similar issue last night with my wifi. Tablet just kept dropping signal (even though I was in the same room as router (maybe 5ft away)) and was very warm which is weird as its been fine up to now. I can't help but feel spending another £100 would have got me a far better device however I'll probably keep it as it does what I need -Internet browsing in front of the TV and a bit or android hacking about (even if I need to keep kicking the wifi once in a while).

I'll think I'll be either 1) getting a new 10" device with 3.0 on it instead of replacing my phone next contract (9 months) as phone is getting 2.3.3 soon, 2) saving up and replacing with 3.5/4.0 tablet in the distant future (2 years ish).

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
Thanks, you've just saved me the cost in investing in a new wireless-N router to replace my wireless-G unit
Digging around it seems I should get better signal strength (assuming I buy a decent make), however this is somewhat of a waste of money if you are having issues with your unit via your wireless-N router.

I am thinking the unit gets warm because it is struggling with the wireless adapter, and having to work hard to retain connection. That's why my battery does not last. Since you were fine before, but not so now, it leads me to suspect the firmware is indeed flakey as others have suggested.
Whether we get a fix is a moot point. My_disgo still haven't posted an update, or answered my mail.......Ok, its only 1st July, but all this f*nnying around is frustrating.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010

lorenii

May 2, 2011
I wonder what is so "TOP SECRET" about these devices?!?! Are they passkeys to old Russian missile silos?

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
After previously saying that the Disgo Support team either provided me with copy/pasted responses or plain just ignore the question, in fairness this time I have had a response to my question about the OTA update for the Disgo 6000.
Is not good news.

In Regards to Ticket 113657.

Thank you for your query.

Regrettably, we are continuing to have issues with the Over The Air update setup for the Tablet 6000.

We are continuing to work on this issue, however we are not optimistic of a complete and automated update solution.

I will be updating Twitter in the coming days with regards to this update.

Thanks,

Clever-Stuff Ltd Helpdesk

So this looks like a blind alley. Don't bother waiting for the update as it looks like it will never appear.
It seems like my decision to return the DOA replacement unit I received earlier this week was a good one.

Last edited:

cheesemp

Jun 25, 2011
Thanks for the update meggiedude. I'm keeping mine but mainly because I don't need a tablet much (phone just got 2.3.3 update (After being stuck with 2.1 for ages) and is good enough for most things apart from screen size) but completely understand why you've returned yours. I'm really just keeping mine for the odd website/game and it usually works well enough for this.

glennjolly

Dec 31, 2011
i updated disgo 7900 to android 2.3 from the disgo site..
since then i cannot connect through wifi (i can by ethernet)
in wifi settings i can see my router but it wont connect asif i got the password wrong(but i havent)
it worked fine before on version 2.2
i have a netgear wgt624v3 and i am not using wep
anyone have any ideas...