DISGUSTED With Coby

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I am furious. Last night I put my 7015 away. It was fully charged. This evening I took it out at got that stupid "Battery Low" message. Fine. Plugged it in-and it REFUSES to charge. Tried other outlets, other cords, even an external battery pack I have. NADA. No light, no charge. I don't think I've charged it near 300 times but the thing is now garbage. I can't charge it, my computer won't recognize it because it won't stay on because the battery is drained and I can't get to Clockwork because the damn battery is drained. I tried resetting it-same BS. I can't believe this. I am infuriated and disgusted with Coby. Going to give them a piece of my mind.

sercero

May 20, 2011
Sorry to hear that.

I own the same tablet and have some issues but it is understandable for a u$s 150 tablet.

However being it cheap does not mean that we are going to tolerate subpar hardware quality.
Having little RAM, flash storage, lower processor speed is what comes with the lower price but flaky hardware should not be it.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I agree. I paid $200 for this thing and it should darn well last more than 5 months. I really enjoyed the tablet and there is no excuse. I'm waiting until I hear back from Coby (naturally their tech support is closed on the weekends) before I toss it in the garbage, but since their warranty is only 90 days I am sure they'll say "too bad". I know you can supposedly replace the battery but it requires soldering which I have NO clue how to do and no tools to do so. I am sick that I paid $200 for a device that only lasted 5 months.

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
As I recall, there are threads in the Coby forum that showed how to pry open the 7015 and what batteries were available for it including better than stock batteries. Ask around, maybe one of your friends knows how to solder. The least likely person may be an expert at it. Soldering is the "ideal" way to go, but not the only way. You could cut the wires to the bad battery at the battery end and strip the last 1/2 inch or so. Then, twist the matching ( +to+ and -to- ) wires to the new battery together. Use electrical tape to insulate the bare parts, put everything back together and you're done.

Apr 28, 2011
I agree with spider. Try to open it if they say 'too bad' and see if you can get it to charge at all. If it will not charge, then there is some sort of a hardware issue or something failing.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Just for my curiosity, have you only used the stock charger to this point?

Until this happened, yes I had only used the stock charger. I have other cords which are compatible (I made sure before trying) and none of them worked either. It's definitely the battery.

Radioman55

Jun 2, 2011
I am sick that I paid $200 for a device that only lasted 5 months.

Ever heard of http://www.squaretrade.com/ ?

Was the sarcasm and attitude necessary? I have never purchased any kind of extended warranty or service plan before. I was always warned that they are a waste of money. If I was told wrong, so be it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011

I checked them out and I was very surprised they claim to cover internal batteries:

• Accessories and Consumer replaceable parts: We don’t cover accessories and parts that are meant to be replaced by the consumer, such as batteries and ink cartridges. We DO cover internal batteries, such as iPod batteries.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I checked them out and I was very surprised they claim to cover internal batteries:
  • Accessories and Consumer replaceable parts: We don’t cover accessories and parts that are meant to be replaced by the consumer, such as batteries and ink cartridges. We DO cover internal batteries, such as iPod batteries.

That is pretty interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Radioman55

Jun 2, 2011
Was the sarcasm and attitude necessary? I have never purchased any kind of extended warranty or service plan before. I was always warned that they are a waste of money. If I was told wrong, so be it.

Hi Sue, there was no sarcasm or attitude intended, I was merely trying to help. I purchased a Squaretrade warranty for one of my laptops and when it broke they not only paid the cost of shipping the item back to them, but I had a FULL refund of my purchase price within 48 hours. I had the money in my account before the computer even arrived at their headquarters! Not to mention that ST warranties sell for about HALF of what the large electronic stores charge for them.

I wouldn't even consider buying a tablet without a Squaretrade warranty! The things are just too flaky lol