Do Any Android Tablets Boot Up When They Receive Power?

wrybread

Sep 19, 2011
I'm trying to find an Android tablet for an art project that boots up whenever it receives power. In other words, when its plugged in, it should turn on without having to press a power button.

The tablet will only be displaying pictures, and won't even be receiving touch, so it can be very minimal. The only thing it needs to do is boot up whenever connected to power.

Does anyone know of one that fits the bill?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Good news and probably bad. Many tablets turn on when the charger is plugged in. The Nook is one and I know there are others, because many people on the forum have complained about it. I'm also pretty sure they all end up on the "Home" screen, not running an app. That's probably not what you want.

wrybread

Sep 19, 2011
I'm guessing (hoping) its possible to hack the OS to make something run at startup?

Thanks for the tip on the Nook.

Does anyone know of any others?

Last edited:

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
I know that the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer ($399) does this - I own one (although it is out of comission at the moment - lost charger) and it boots up whenever power is supplied to it.

I'm betting many others do this as well.

DanU

Mar 4, 2011
Is there any way to run a script at startup? I agree that booting to the locked screen will be the hurdle

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Well, it's fairly easy to set it to not boot to the lock screen (just a simple adjustment in the settings) but for the auto-startup of an app you would probably need to root the tablet and either create your own script or find one somewhere.

wrybread

Sep 19, 2011
I'm not really worried about the scripting part, just the hardware. I thoroughly plan on rooting whatever I wind up using. I'll update this thread with the method I wind up using to autostart an app if people would like.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I'll update this thread with the method I wind up using to autostart an app if people would like.

Yes wrybread, that would be nice. BTW Welcome to the forum, you're off to a quick start here.:)

evelhorn

Apr 2, 2012
My pipo u8 does the opposite, it boots when I plug it into power supply or usb. Also if it's on and plugged in and I turn it off it boots right back up. Not a big deal until you want to flash it or update