Do I Need a SIM Card?

dorste

Jan 1, 2014
I have an android smart phone. I just got an android tablet. Android 4.2 P2000. It has 2 SIM card slots. I was told that I could either tether my phone to the tablet or I could use my phone as a hot spot for internet. I have tried unsuccessfully for 2 days to accomplish either feat. Can anyone help me. My tablet says WiFi detected but when I click on it, it says connection failed. I was also told I could download a free app to get internet. I have service thru Aio for my phone. I really don't know anything about computers or tablets so any information given would be helpful if it were in plain english. I did not get any manual or other information with the tablet/phone. When I want to use the phone it says no Sim Card detected. Not sure what to do other than getting Sim Card from Aio and paying another internet fee.

Thanks

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

You don't need to use a SIM for the tablet as it would cost you since you would need a data plan. Tethering to the phone or using a WiFi access point are your best bets. You may want tto see if your phone has a tethering plan, otherwise you would need to install something like FoxFi for the phone, which isn't free, to enable the tablet to gain Internet access through your phone.

dorste

Jan 1, 2014
Thank You. I must be doing something wrong because just this morning I tried to download the FoxFi app onto my phone to make it a Hotspot so I could use my tablet. It said the app was free. I installed it but it did not work. Not sure if I was supposed to change settings or not. I did ask Aio if the phone had a hotspot and they said it did but they couldn't help me because it was against their policy. They said I could purchase a data plan from them. I searched the apps on the phone and that is how I found the FoxFi one.
Maybe the paid version would work but I didn't want to pay for something if it wasn't going to work. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I really hate to pay for two plans that do the same thing.
Again, Thank You for your response.

dorste

Jan 1, 2014
Thank You. Just this morning I tried installing FoxFi on my phone to make it a HotSpot. It installed but I was not able to connect. I must be something wrong. I installed the free version because I want to be sure it would work. I do not mind paying for an app if I know it will work for me. Aiio told me my phone has hotspot capabilities but they couldn't help me because it was against their policy to give me that information. It was really weird when I asked them, like it was a big secret. Not sure where I can go to get help with this because I obviously am doing something wrong. I will keep trying to figure it out.