Do I need a wireless carrier??

LoveJC03

Jan 11, 2012
I will be getting the Acer A100 next month :) I've been viewing this form and I notice that Acer tablets are "wireless carrier back brand"..... does that mean I can't use it if I don't have Verizon or another carrier? I have Wifi at my house, but I don't have a wireless carrier.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
You can use it on wifi just fine. The carrier is if you want to use it on 4g or 3g

Sent from my Vizio Tab/ Universal Remote

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
The Acer 100 has a SIM card slot. It isn't operable, but I'll bet Acer is hedging its bets for either European use or a later edition with a network connection in the US. ATT seems to have the 10 inch and ATT is GSM so you would need a SIM card. I'm just as glad it doesn't have a carrier connection. There's less than half of the carrier bloatware installed. OTOH, you can only use a wifi connection and availability of service is unknown.
I went looking for accessories, and half the stuff I wanted was either Acer Europe, or AE.

LoveJC03

Jan 11, 2012
Okay that's great I'm glad I can use it with just wifi :D I've been so excited about getting it it would stink if I wasn't able to use it!

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Can you get 3G externally?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
Maybe by tethering. You would have to check will your carrier.

I know I could hook up the Sony Clie by bluetooth to a phone and that was years ago.