Do I need all these system Certs?

Quinrugger

Jan 4, 2013
Sorry if this has been asked before, I am a newbie. I searched around a little bit, but didn't find anything.

I just got my TF300 a few days ago, I've been using it with no issues; downloading apps, setting preferences, all is well. I was browsing around in the security settings and saw that there are a lot (30+) system certificates already installed on the tablet. What do all these certs do and do I need to keep them? Can I delete them? Will deleting them cause unwanted problems?

Also, this all came about when I was trying to install my corporate certs onto my tablet so I could access my corporate email via VPN. I figured out how to install the certs, but my VPN log-in site did not "like" them. It said they were out of date or missing (which I know is not the case). The certs I tried using were the ones I use on my Windows based corporate laptop and I suspect I need "special" certs for the android operating system. If anyone has info on this too please reply.

Thanks in advance.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hello Quinrugger, welcome to the forum. I'm not sure that I can specifically help with your issue but as to the security certificates already on the tablet why not just leave them? There is no reason to delete what is already there and you will more likely than not run into issues if you do delete them. If for some reason you feel you do need to get rid of them, providing the location of the certificates in the file system would be helpful to help determine what exactly you are looking at.

Likewise, your VPN certificates may need to be located in the proper folder. It would be helpful to know where you have tried to put them.

JP

Quinrugger

Jan 4, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

Good point, I guess I just don't like having a bunch of unneeded files if they aren't needed. But you are right, I could just leave them alone. I also thought about disabling them to see what happens, then I can always enable them later if needed.

I'm not sure which folder the certs are saved in. I'm seeing them in the security section of the settings menu. I will dig deeper to see if I can find out the specific file folder they are in. As for the corporate certs I installed, I just clicked on the cert file after I down loaded it and it loaded into the default location (where ever that is). Those showed up under user certs rather than system certs like the others mentioned above.