Do I need to root if my tablet came with 2.2

kdpeterson68

Jul 21, 2011
Do I need to root my tablet if it came with 2.2 already? I have not been able to figure out how to make the android market work. When I sign into the market it says I have no devices attached but I am not sure how to attach or assign one since it is a tablet and not a phone. Also not sure if the automatic update is working. I can access the Amazon market and have been able to download alot of apps from there but would like to be able to access the Android Market. Also I do not think the OTG port is working. Is there some trick to get that working or do I need to send it back. The host port works fine, headphone jack works fine with the adapter. I haven't tried the HDMI output to see if it works.

TIA

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
All of these questions have been answered, and most are (if not all) contained in the sticky threads.

jb2kred

Jul 3, 2011
Hi kdpeterson68 you will still need to root your device if you are going to try and mod it futher which can be achived by using universal androot , regarding the OTG port it has been disabled by the companys who supply the device and currently can only be used for burning firmware to the device. the HDMI port should work out of the box you will have to plug it in and when you are playing a movie press one of the buttons on the back and this will switch the output to HDMI if this fails reboot device with the HDMI cable plugged in . Hope this helps.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Do I need to root my tablet if it came with 2.2 already? I have not been able to figure out how to make the android market work. When I sign into the market it says I have no devices attached but I am not sure how to attach or assign one since it is a tablet and not a phone.
No need to root. However, you may need to add the Gmail application and sign in first before launching the new Market application.

The Gmail application is not initially displayed on the main application window.

To add Gmail to the main application menu follow these steps:
From the main app window -

• Touch the Menu icon in the top-right of the screen (represented by four horizontal lines) or Press the Menu button on the back of the tablet
• Touch the ‘Add Application’ icon on the bottom left

• Under Select Activity, select ‘Gmail’ and select.

The Gmail icon will now appear on the main screen and you can sign in.

Ensure "Background Sync" is checked in Settings. Then you should be able to access the new Market.

kdpeterson68

Jul 21, 2011
My Thumbs Up button is gone or I would have definitely pushed it. I have logged out and logged back in but that didn't help.

@ st0ne. thanks. I will make sure I read the stickys.

@jb2kred Thank you! Your information was very helpful.
:)
@cfrokit Thank you very much! I appreciate your screenshots and step by step intructions. I have now added GMail and Market apps to my screen! :)