Do I need to ROOT?

GregV

Mar 16, 2011
I've been purusing thru the different posts reading about people adding android apps. Some mention theirs being rooted and some do not. Is it necessary to root your Nook to be able to add the different apps? If so is there a "gentle" root, or is a root a root. What are the odds of bricking my NC. I would really like to use my NC to its full potential, but do not relish ruining my NC
icon9.gif
. Thanks for any responses.
GregV

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Of course you need root!!!! Seriously though, yes, you do need it for apps. B&N is planning to release a 2.2 update in mid April that will allow apps via their store but rooting will give you access to the Google and Amazon Markets for apps.

Rooting isn't too difficult and you can run a bootable sd card that will allow you to have a rooted nook without changing anything in the nook itself. Pop in the card rooted, pop out the card regular nook.

It is nearly impossible to ruin your nook and rooting the nook itself is a good way to go. It really unlocks the potential and once you have a rooted nook you really won't want a regular one so you might as well root internally instead of using an sd card. It is also very easy to completely restore your nook to stock if you ever want to unroot.

-JP

Last edited:

dpakrr

Feb 8, 2011
yeh you have to root it but its been made really easy now.
[RECOVERY] Monster RootPack 0.7 / Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD (1.1 Compatible!) - xda-developers

you cannot brick your NC!! do not worry about that. JUST NEVER FORMAT /BOOT in clockwordmod recovery unless the ROM you are loading specifically asks for in the instructions. if you do, then its a time consuming process to get it back working but it is still straightforward.

if you never ever format your /boot, you can seriously never brick it. the NC has boot set to sd card, so if you mess up the internal memory/partitions, you just load recovery and the stock rom onto your sd card to reflash the internal memory.

if you really dont want to root, you'll be happy to hear that B&N are releasing their version of 2.2 and an app store next month.

tp76

Mar 25, 2011
Rooting is best explained like this, say you have a mansion of a house with an indoor pool, retractable roof, movie theater, heated floors and all of the other things a house of this caliber may contain, but all of the controls are in the basement and the basement door is locked...rooting unlocks that door -

So do you need root, not really...but to unlock the full potential it's a must ;)

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
very good analogy - although i would say you are in the basement and the door to get to the upper floors where all the goodies are is locked

Rooting is best explained like this, say you have a mansion of a house with an indoor pool, retractable roof, movie theater, heated floors and all of the other things a house of this caliber may contain, but all of the controls are in the basement and the basement door is locked...rooting unlocks that door -

So do you need root, not really...but to unlock the full potential it's a must ;)

HarleyChick

Feb 2, 2011

Wow, that is by far the BEST analogy I've heard for rooting!

GregV

Mar 16, 2011
Ok, so I need to root. I am essentially a fraidy cat, so I would like to run a bootable sd card. Does a person just purchase one of them, or do you format the card for that? How big if an sd card? If you use a bootable sd card can you also use it for storage? Thanks everyone!!

ssedlmayr

Mar 30, 2011
The newest kernels are really great. Just go ahead and root it. It is simple, takes about 5 minutes (all though reading how to takes more). Between the latest CM7 and OC kernels it is really fast and a great experience. I will post some pages you can look at on how to do it. Just basically get two 4gb cards (or bigger) and put on the kernels, boot into the sd cards, and load the kernels, then take it out, reboot back into the Nook, and you have a really killer operating system on the Nook.
[DEV] CM7 Developers Thread **New video test build** [03/29/11] - xda-developers.
xda-developers - View Single Post - [RECOVERY] EXT4 Compatible Bootable Clockwork SD Card 0.1 (+ tasty treats)
[Kernel][Eclair][Froyo][CM7] Dalingrin's OC kernel [3/28/11] - xda-developers
Nookie FroYo: Burning a bootable SD card - nookDevs

When done you will have a killer tablet computer, running at 1GHz (I found this to be stable, the 1.1GHz for me us unstable) that has access to B&N, Amazon, Kindle, and every other book store. Plus an Android Tablet. Thanks to these guys for all the work they have done, and this forum. It is great. Thanks Android tablets.

Major Insano

Mar 31, 2011
ssedlmayr - thanks for post, I have been reading page after page and that summarizes it nicely. I do have a question though, will this work on the latest model nooks? I have read that if you have a nook original with a 1003* serial# or above that need to use a different procedure. What I haven't figured out is if this applies to the newest kernels. Thanks for your help.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You can do anything you want to any Nook color you want regardless of serial#. The key for autonootering is just to make sure you are using the appropriate autonooter version for the B&N version (1.0.0.1, 1.0.1 or 1.1) you are running. Flashing custom ROMs avoids the issue altogether.