Docs for your aps

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Do android apps come with documentation or a user manual? If not, does the developer usually provide some? If you did get documentation, I suppose you caould storeit on the micro SD csrd and access it via the file manager or a shortcut hidden in a folder.

thx

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Where do the docs install? I know the developer knows exactly how to use the program, but I'm not psychic so I need to read the user manual.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
that also is somewhat up to the app creator. I know that the standard has actually been for documentation to be located on the developer's website (not the market, but their own URL), and sometiimes they provide a help link.

What app specifically are you talking about, perhaps that would help identify documentation.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
that also is somewhat up to the app creator. I know that the standard has actually been for documentation to be located on the developer's website (not the market, but their own URL), and sometiimes they provide a help link.

What app specifically are you talking about, perhaps that would help identify documentation.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
It's basically the more involved apps (Google Sky, fring, note-taking apps) that should include some documentation. You can figure out how to draw a picture without too much trouble, but something like a videoconferencing app needs a little more explanation.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I find that most apps come with no instructions.

Sometimes even if they do, it's often on their webpage, which is not optimized for Android devices and terrible to read on a smartphone. The market should really facilitate something.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
IMO, the market is facilitating umstable or cheap,$1 apps. If you were to sell your apps for $1 ( or free!), then you probably woudn't make much of an effort to provide documentation within the app or maintain a webpage and Internet links in the app. But thanks to those who do make the effort.

We could make an effort to get websites like appbrain, androidfreeware, androidzoom, et al, to provide space for a developer to upload documentation (a webpage or document) and a tab or a link to it, just like the tabs for screenshots and comments.