Does 16:10 aspect ratio on A500 'stretch' 4:3 apps?

hsmcdonald

Jun 13, 2012
So, new to the forums..

I am about 95% certain I want to purchase an A500 as my day to day workhorse tablet - seems to be solid and there are plenty out there in the 300 or less range.

My question - My previous tablet was a 16:9 aspect ratio - 1024x600 - and more or less all content, especially games meant to be played in portrait mode were 'stretched' high.

My understanding is the A500 is 16:10 @ 1280 x 800 - I have never actually seen this form factor in person - and I just wanted to see if this aspect ratio also 'stretches' content in portrait mode. I love my 'Where's my Water' and 'Cut the Rope' - but it was a bummer to play them stretched in 16:9 - yuk.

biking4jesus

Aug 27, 2011
The A500 does stretch some apps, although on some you have the choice to "Stretch to fill screen" or "Zoom to fill screen". "Where's my Water" doesn't seem to be distorted, but it does fill the screen. I notice that background tiles that should be square seem to be square.

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
My understanding is the A500 is 16:10 @ 1280 x 800 - I have never actually seen this form factor in person - and I just wanted to see if this aspect ratio also 'stretches' content in portrait mode. I love my 'Where's my Water' and 'Cut the Rope' - but it was a bummer to play them stretched in 16:9 - yuk.
Cut The Rope is gorgeous on the A500 (and I only don't have the HD version). Most any "updated" Apps are fine. I hardly ever find one lately that's stretched out of proportion. If some App hasn't been updated since 2011, there may be issues, and more than just the graphics. You can filter ratings for "this device", and often the rating will mention "the game is a tiny square in the corner of the screen" or whatever, if there's a problem. Some of the old Apps can be "stretched", some can't. I don't know why not. But the moment you see a weird aspect ratio, other bugs are bound to appear.

I have a nice leather stand/case that sets the TAB in landscape mode, so Apps in "portrait" are kind of a pain. But most of the word games for some reason are in portrait only, and so is Cut The Rope, so I abide. There's a game called "Quell" that has a gamespace in landscape view, yet places the menu to the side (a "portrait" menu), to give more space for the game -- that's a very cool idea!

Last edited: