Does Anyone Use Google Maps?

Gooner356

Jan 13, 2013
If anyone does, have you created your own maps (my places)? Have you worked out how to add a destination?
On a pc, u can add push-pins, but srike-a-light i can't do it on this tablet. I have tried chrome, built in browser and google maps.
Must be doing something wrong, but please can someone put me out of my misery.....sigh

Answers on a postcard please

Goon,:confused:

Gooner356

Jan 13, 2013
come on in, water's warm, dont be shy. This many views and no replies? someone's got to have noticed this and/or got some idea about what I am doing wrong.
come on you little tease.

Gooner

Gooner356

Jan 13, 2013
Search for the address you want to add. When it shows on the map, tap the > in the address bubble above the marker. Then tap the star in the pop window.
Thanks for the response, I can do that but still can't see a way of adding it to a map I have got saved. I.e. if you were doing a map of places to visit, on a PC you can add many pushpins to one map and save it. I can't see what the yellow star does. ? Am I missing something???
Cheers anyway
Goon'

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
The reason I didn't answer is that I am kinda in the same boat; I can get the stars to show up but it isn't the same. I added a few places as "People" (the new name for contacts) so that I can tap the address and be taken to a map which then does show the location with a point and offers the option to get directions.

Gooner356

Jan 13, 2013
The reason I didn't answer is that I am kinda in the same boat; I can get the stars to show up but it isn't the same. I added a few places as "People" (the new name for contacts) so that I can tap the address and be taken to a map which then does show the location with a point and offers the option to get directions.
Grab a paddle mate lol. Will keep trying and post if I come up with anything...sigh
Gooner

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
There are a few ways. One is in the link arbarnhart provided, specifically this page http://support.google.com/gmm/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2713925&topic=2713982&ctx=topic. (Although it says the menu is in the upper left it is the 3 dots in the upper right).

To add an address search it and then touch the star. It will then be added to the My Places list above.

You can long press a location on the map and then a menu will appear. You can star the location from the menu without knowing the address.

You can create custom maps on the Google Maps website or Google Earth and then access those in the Google Maps app. To create a custom map from the web page click on My Places and then Create Map (or the interactive tutorial link). The maps you create while logged into your Google account will be available in the Maps app.

JP

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
I just installed Co Pilot yesterday and in addition to being a good general GPS navigation app, it is a lot easier to use with respect to My Places and whatnot. The free version will get you a map of your region and most functions. Audio turn by turn and access to any map anywhere costs 9.99 US, which I am planning to pay. Try the free one first to make sure that the local map is good.