does coby kyros MID1042-8 support 3G from USB

m_medo

Sep 2, 2012
Hello
i want to buy a new coby kyros MID1042-8 and i need to connect it to the internet through the USB 3G modem
can i do that?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I don't believe so. You can connect a keyboard or a mouse to the USB. You can also connect a memory stick and use it for file storage or access. However that's about it. You would need to use a 3G router from your cellular carrier and use the device's WiFi to connect to it. Coby doesn't make a Generation 3 unit with built-in 3G either. The only 3G option that I've seen from Coby so far in my brief search is the MID-1125, which runs Gingerbread.

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
Traveller1701 said:
I don't believe so. You can connect a keyboard or a mouse to the USB. You can also connect a memory stick and use it for file storage or access. However that's about it. You would need to use a 3G router from your cellular carrier and use the device's WiFi to connect to it. Coby doesn't make a Generation 3 unit with built-in 3G either. The only 3G option that I've seen from Coby so far in my brief search is the MID-1125, which runs Gingerbread.

This is not true, many custom roms have had 3g dongle support for over year, and I believe the 3rd gens can use a 3g dongle out of the box ( havent had the opportunity to test that out). I know that the current rom im using from vampirefo can use cell usb stick to get online.. Try not to dash peoples hopes so quickly traveller. Not only can you do keyboard and mice, but you can also do usb hubs, bluetooth adapters, and I personally connect my 250 GB external harddrive to it. In fact I connect my mouse keyboard, and 250 gb drive all at once with a usb hub. Something not recommended for long without power.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
According to Coby's own documentation on the device, the only things that can be connected to that port are keyboards and storage devices. The OP did not ask whether this could be done with a custom ROM but simply mentioned he was looking into purchasing the device. Therefore your personal comments regarding my post are out of line. Your personal experiences ARE valid and useful information, but your presentation is sorely lacking.

Keep your personal comments to yourself, or your posts will be reported.

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
Traveller1701 said:
According to Coby's own documentation on the device, the only things that can be connected to that port are keyboards and storage devices. The OP did not ask whether this could be done with a custom ROM but simply mentioned he was looking into purchasing the device. Therefore your personal comments regarding my post are out of line. Your personal experiences ARE valid and useful information, but your presentation is sorely lacking.

Keep your personal comments to yourself, or your posts will be reported.

You seriously need to stfu with telling me anything about my personal comments, and research things before you start reporting people for responding to a question, its not a function of coby and their device its a function of android. Everything on these damn troubleshooting forums is personal experiences You need to stop being an uptight douche an just take like a damn man, instead of reporting people. OMG Im kicked out of androidtablets.net, time to find a site with less ads, guess they wont get traffic from people reading m y personal experiences no more. Wow so cobys docs (cause thats reliable reading) says on keyboards and storage huh, guess you forgot mice or they didnt list it, hmmm so what ps3 controllers, what about wifi dongles...bluetooth. most people know from "Experience" these work......report me you smug SOB. It seems you live for policing the forums, big man, move along people file your questions and answers in exactly proper format cause if you dont you ol boy travellers got nothing better to do. Now go stroke vampirefos ego, he needs you.

Last edited:

astraserv

Sep 2, 2012
Well.. i plugged a 160gig external drive into my MID1042 and all it did was make the screen flash. Not so sure that you can run an external drive there..

of course, it only one drive and one tablet.. it could be different with other gear.

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
astraserv said:
Well.. i plugged a 160gig external drive into my MID1042 and all it did was make the screen flash. Not so sure that you can run an external drive there..

of course, it only one drive and one tablet.. it could be different with other gear.

You have to make sure the drive has enough power, the tablet alone usually is not enough. Some externals come with a power adapteer you plug into a wall socket, others use usb y cable that you plug into two usb ports. Even if I plug in the y cable to two ports in my usb hub from the tablet its not enough power, so I use a a wall socket usb power adapter two plugin in the first cord then the second cord goes to the tablet. If your tablet has usb host, ICS, and you have enough power then you can connect an external drive.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You seriously need to stfu with telling me anything about my personal comments, and research things before you start reporting people for responding to a question, its not a function of coby and their device its a function of android. Everything on these damn troubleshooting forums is personal experiences You need to stop being an uptight douche an just take like a damn man, instead of reporting people. OMG Im kicked out of androidtablets.net, time to find a site with less ads, guess they wont get traffic from people reading m y personal experiences no more. Wow so cobys docs (cause thats reliable reading) says on keyboards and storage huh, guess you forgot mice or they didnt list it, hmmm so what ps3 controllers, what about wifi dongles...bluetooth. most people know from "Experience" these work......report me you smug SOB. It seems you live for policing the forums, big man, move along people file your questions and answers in exactly proper format cause if you dont you ol boy travellers got nothing better to do. Now go stroke vampirefos ego, he needs you.
Is your modus operandi to always attack the poster instead of the argument?

Listen, it's really quite simple. You want to reply to a post on this forum? Go right ahead. But leave the snide, rude, and condescending comments out of it. Such comments are why you're seen as a troll by more than a few on this forum. Learn to attack the argument, not the poster.

The rest of your tripe isn't worth replying to.

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
Traveller1701 said:
Is your modus operandi to always attack the poster instead of the argument?

Listen, it's really quite simple. You want to reply to a post on this forum? Go right ahead. But leave the snide, rude, and condescending comments out of it. Such comments are why you're seen as a troll by more than a few on this forum. Learn to attack the argument, not the poster.

The rest of your tripe isn't worth replying to.

Pillowpants dude.....thats all that can be said about people who still believe in trolls on the internet....i hope somebody gets this...im cracking up hard over here.

ohhh screw it, this aint no corporate technical discussion

For the troll believers..

Last edited by a moderator:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
You have to make sure the drive has enough power, the tablet alone usually is not enough. Some externals come with a power adapteer you plug into a wall socket, others use usb y cable that you plug into two usb ports. Even if I plug in the y cable to two ports in my usb hub from the tablet its not enough power, so I use a a wall socket usb power adapter two plugin in the first cord then the second cord goes to the tablet. If your tablet has usb host, ICS, and you have enough power then you can connect an external drive.

Connect my 160gb external hd to my 7042 with no problems.