does GPS need to have internet access in Honeycomb?

Mar 18, 2011
does GPS need to have internet access in Honeycomb?
I am trying to get wifi version of xoom and avoid 3G, so want to know if I can still use GPS during driving, does this not need internet access for GPS to work

thks,

Backnblack

Jan 18, 2010
GPS has nothing to do with 3G or Wifi.....

But the Maps need to be downloaded, unless you have an app that has them already.

conchchowder

Mar 19, 2011
GPS has nothing to do with 3G or Wifi.....

But the Maps need to be downloaded, unless you have an app that has them already.

A-GPS works with a WiFi or 3G signal. How, pray tell, does it work since it isn't a stand-alone GPS receiver (as in my Viliv S-5).

conchchowder

Mar 19, 2011
OP did not state A-GPS....

Quote op, "wifi version of xoom"

Xoom is A-GPS so a signal MUST be used. The unit being connected is CRITICAL to triangulation.

I have a Viliv S-5 with a SiRF Star III GPS receiver. It goes straight to the satellites.
If you have a receiver that comes with the Microsoft Streets and Maps program, and can write or use an app to pull the info off of the USB dongle, or another external usb receiver, then that may work as well.

If you have maps downloaded, and you KNOW where you are, then you can simply use the map program, but it won't be able to tell your location without a wifi signal. In a metro area, that shouldn't be a problem, or just get a Broadband2Go dongle from Virgin and use it a little for $10 or a lot for $50. That's the avenue I'm going down, buut the Toshiba has full-sized SD, HDMI, and USB slots...no need for adapters or moving files from my full-sized SD cards...if someone would only add SDXC support, THEN I'd just drool a lot.

Mar 18, 2011
sorry guys.,
I feel like lost. but am not sure if samsung ro Toshiba or LE Slate would have GPS or A-GPS but waiting for their release.

so I am trying to a buy a wifi and 3G version, dont sign up for data.
so what GPS should it have to work w. out 3g data active? A-gps wouldnt do without 3g signal?

DanU

Mar 4, 2011
GPS is a separate antenae. You can use GPS alone, but need maps from somewhere - either internet connection or stored locally.

Mar 18, 2011
Thks and I feel clear now :) I will try to store maps locally, so dont need to burn 3G's bandwidth even if I sign up for 3g data

Mar 18, 2011
Ifinally got Acer iconia tablet and got SD card
how do I load maps into SD slot and where do I get maps from? i never used maps so asking, thks for help