Does the update remove the ability to use self installed apps?

Synodis

Aug 11, 2012
I just got my first Tablet today. When I go to update the firmware, one of the things it says is "applications you have installed yourself may no longer be used".

Does this update disable the ability to install custom applications or is the text saying that some apps might not work? Thanks, I know nothing about android, but I do know I want to be able to put emulators on it.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
That line usually means some of the apps might not work. For example if you are updating from gingerbread to ice cream sandwhich not all apps have been developed to work on ICS.

Synodis

Aug 11, 2012
Thank you! I had to ask because it wasn't very clear and I am not familiar with android. The first firmware version of the Sony PSP allowed for custom programs to be run on it which was patched out in the next firmware release. I wanted to make sure this wasn't the same case.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Well an update to Android could always break root and not allow you to flash a new rom but with apps its just the case of the developer building them to run on the new software which in the case of Android most do.