Does your C91 lags on videos/ force close many apps - android.process.media

criver

Oct 20, 2011
Hi!
First, I think I ought to give some info on my tablet - ZT-280 C91 xxx2nxxx model running rooted ICS.
Did you ever think you C91 was a bit too slow for a tablet with a cortex a9 and 512 Ram? Were you ever uncapable of watching a video because it lagged horribly? Do many programs force close on your tablet?
I had these problems, so I decided to find the problem and do something about it. So now that I've "solved" that problem I'd be happy to share my experience with you:
I had this problem even while my tablet was with Gingerbread - so I guess some people may also have such a problem.
1)How to identify it:
Install "Android System Info" and go to Tasks - there you should be able to see the total CPU load - if your CPU's permanently at around 100% and you have a process - "android.process.media" - that's also consuming a lot of cpu, then most probably the bad performance of your tablet comes from this.
2)Just killing android.process.media won't solve the problem - it will reappear once again. Apparently android.process.media has a lot to do with a certain application - "DRM Protected Content Storage" - if you kill it android.process.media will disappear for a short amount of time, but it will reappear later when DRM Protected Content Storage starts again... The best way, that I found to solve this problem is to write this in your terminal emulator:
su
pm disable com.android.providers.media

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Last edited:

jezebabe

Jan 9, 2012
Thanks criver . I believe this can also help improve battery life so probably worth trying anyway.

Last edited:

guitarman

Jan 6, 2012
Wow, I could have sworn i saw where to go in to the terminal emulator and now I can't find it to save my life. Where is it? I am running ICS but not rooted, but I know I have seen this.

Also, how did you root the ICS?

guitarman

Jan 6, 2012
downloaded terminal emulator

Tried to typ "SU"

since you put that on the first line, I did that then hit enter and it says"not allowed to SU"

So I thought Maybe I should do it all on one line, so I typed
"SU pm disable com.sec.android.providers.drm"

And again, I got cannot SU.

Can you be more specific about EXACTLY what to type, including spaces, when to hit enter, should it all be on same line, what with the emulator say, Capital letters if and if not, everything in detail.

Thanks much

guitarman

Jan 6, 2012
Looks like you must be rooted to do this. i wanted to try even though I have had no problems with vido on my ics version from Zenithink, so is this a problem because of the different, rooted rom you are using?

I have had a force close a time or two, but no more with this ics version than the original, just a buggy game or something.

Just trying to figure out if this would help me because with this ics version I have kind of noted just a tad of choppy screen scrolling and noticed none of that on the 2.3 versions.

criver

Oct 20, 2011
Now, su stands for super user - and unless you have a rooted tablet you can't use this properly.
You can grab terminal emulator from the market.
By the way you should probably install BusyBox even if you're rooted.
Also - first thing, you should find if you have such a problem -> install android system info -> go to tasks -> if your total CPU load is almost at 100% (and if you can't play a movie without lagging) -> try killing android.process.media -> if your CPU works normally now (not at 100%) then you most probably have this problem...
What's more after a few days I've noticed that this doesn't fully solve the problem - now I'm getting an android.process.media running from the android.providers.download. package...
So I tried another solution - I used Titanium Backup (Pro version) to freeze both DRM Protected Content Storage, Download, Download manager (cause some bugs) - now android.process.media appears form an android.providers.media package, but if I kill it it doesn't reappear for a long time...

The problem isn;'t fully solved, so I'd be glad to hear any ideas...

*Update* - I managed to do something playing around with android terminal emulator:
First you must have a rooted device or this most probably won't work.
In your Terminal Emulator write:
su
pm disable com.android.providers.media
this way you disable the package that's responsible for android.process.media (I managed to find its name with some commands) - I even unfroze DRM Protected Content Storage and Download and Downloads Manager and all is fine (hopefully it will be for more than a day lol)... Now I haver a android.process.media running process from android.providers.drm package - but it doesn't use CPU at all!

[Update]:
In ICS when you go in Apps Manager -> All -> Media Storage you can disable it (you can also disable DRM Protected Content Storage) - it could cause some problems (nothing serious - if you know what Media Storage does - you'll know what kinds of problems it can cause - has to do with media scanning). For one thing if your videos stutter you can watch with Media Storage disabled (I use MX Video Player) after that you can enable it, you can listen to music (I use TTPod - the stock music player doesn't work with it disabled), you can browse your tablet (use ES File Explorer), you can read your comics (I use MangaWhat)... If you use any other app and it doesn't work enable Media Storage. From time to time you'll have notifications of Talk force closing, but nothing serious will happen - you can enable Media Storage whenever you want.

Last edited:

stormclaws

Jun 19, 2012
Thanks a lot, i register on this forum just for thank you.
I have a Razr and this one fix my phone too.