dolphin browser issues after HC update

GringoDog

Oct 28, 2011
I was totally, 100% happy with my vtab, go launcher, and Dolphin browser. Then HC update came along and I'm still having issues - especially with Dolphin.

The lines on the pages move around. This seems especially common when there is some kind of flashing advertisement on the page I am viewing. It's slow. Very skow. It crashes. When responding to forum posts, what I am typing frequently does not show on the screen, but is saved and appears when I post the response. But since I couldn't see what I was typing when I was writing, it's often gibberish.

None of these issues occur in the stock browser - in fact, I definitely note that HC has made that browser quicker. But I miss the ability to draw symbols for various functions and being able to establish custom drawn symbols. I loved that with dolphin and hate to give it up.

Any suggestions please?

Fishtank

Nov 30, 2011
I'm running into a similar problem with Dolphin. Unfortunately, I access an Enterprise version of Outlook Web Access, and the public folders link won't show up in the stock browser. I'm hoping for a Dolphin update, or seeking a third option.

crandy2

Mar 13, 2011
I was totally, 100% happy with my vtab, go launcher, and Dolphin browser. Then HC update came along and I'm still having issues - especially with Dolphin.

The lines on the pages move around. This seems especially common when there is some kind of flashing advertisement on the page I am viewing. It's slow. Very skow. It crashes. When responding to forum posts, what I am typing frequently does not show on the screen, but is saved and appears when I post the response. But since I couldn't see what I was typing when I was writing, it's often gibberish.

None of these issues occur in the stock browser - in fact, I definitely note that HC has made that browser quicker. But I miss the ability to draw symbols for various functions and being able to establish custom drawn symbols. I loved that with dolphin and hate to give it up.

Any suggestions please?

Angel browser is what I'm using. It also supports gestures. Lots of configuration options.

Sent from my A500

Fishtank

Nov 30, 2011
The dolphin for tablet-beta does seem to run better, and not have the weird text entry field issues. However, it has the same problem as the stock browser where it won't show the public folders link for Outlook Web Access. Back to the drawing board. Next try will be the Angel browser noted above.

mooney101

Mar 16, 2012
I've been using firefox which has some great addons and flash support right around the corner. Might be worth checking out.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
GringoDog said:

Any suggestions please?

I've talked to Vizio about every other day after my VTAB1008 was updated to Vizio Honeycrud.

At the end of this month I'm going to try and have it replaced under warranty because of repeatable problems with the Adobe Flash Player that they shipped with the unit and that worked great before their update to HC.

The last time I talked to Vizio I told them I don't use it for any of the programs I used to use it for. All I do with it now with it is use it to complain about it.

mburwen

Mar 1, 2012
There is a new version of the Dolphin HD browser that was released very recently. It runs very well on my Honeycomb VTAB and loads pages much more quickly than earlier versions. Make sure you have this latest update.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
mburwen said:
There is a new version of the Dolphin HD browser that was released very recently. It runs very well on my Honeycomb VTAB and loads pages much more quickly than earlier versions. Make sure you have this latest update.

Could be possible but try and see if pages that use the Flash Player operate the same and I'm ready to prove that they do nt.

mburwen

Mar 1, 2012
Give me a URL that you can't run and I'll try it. I've not seen any web pages that don't look OK.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
mburwen said:
Give me a URL that you can't run and I'll try it. I've not seen any web pages that don't look OK.

"look OK?" My issue with the Dolphin Browser HD after the Vizio HC update is how certain sites work and not how they look after they load.

Case in point. If your Dolphin Browser is set up to "Perform as" a desktop computer and for Flash to be "Always on" go to iheart.com.

Now that page "looks OK" at first glance but the problem shows up when you use two fingers to zoom in on the bottom part of the page. When you zoom in the bottom part of the page the part of the page that is used by the flash player comes down while other parts of the page go up.

Then after zooming in on the page try to use your finger to move the upper part of the page that is used by the flash player. It will stay in one place but the background will move.

That funky zooming and panning only happens on Vizio Honeycomb or what I have started to call Vizio Honeycrud.

Last edited:

jhig1961

Nov 27, 2011
Just tried iHeartRadio. Com with flash 10.3 and what you say is true. Tryed it with flash 11.1 and seamed to work much better. But the site is not made to be viewed with a mobile device, that is why they make apps for tablets.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Just tried iHeartRadio. Com with flash 10.3 and what you say is true. Tryed it with flash 11.1 and seamed to work much better. But the site is not made to be viewed with a mobile device, that is why they make apps for tablets.

Thank you for checking that site out and when I tried to use Flash 11.1 I was trying to use it for a problem I found when pausing and restarting YouTube videos in the standard Android Browser and all version Flash 11.1 did there was make things worse.

Plus what clued me in to the problem with the Zoom and Pan in Vizio Honeycomb was when I was on a web page with a few different items that needed flash support and does not have an app for tablets. On that page when you zoomed in a YouTube Video would move down the page and if you zoomed in too far you could not pan around to find the youtube video because it must have moved right off the page.

I just wish that Vizio would give me a way to restore my tablet to the way it was when I bought it so I can say no to the update to Vizio Honeycomb. If I could go back to Gingerbread I'd get to use full screen for all my applications again, I'd get a fully functional Flash Player again and I'd get easy access to my SD card again.

Last edited:

mburwen

Mar 1, 2012
I tried iheart.com in the desktop version of Dolphin HD and it was fine except that when I zoomed as you suggested, the short menu on the left side of the page stayed no matter where I moved through the page. I am using Flash 10.3. When I tried to look at the mobile version of the site, a screen came up saying that I had to install a separate app, which I didn't try.

For me, wasn't much of a problem.

BTW, there is a Dolphin add-on called "Desktop Toggles" which switches from desktop to mobile versions of the browser. 99% of the time, I use the desktop mode on the VTAB, but once in a while the mobile version works better.

I'd like to know if anyone has done a reasonably thorough study of Flash 10.3 vs 11.1, and, if so, what are the benefits/drawbacks to each?