dolphin browser issues after HC update

mburwen

Mar 1, 2012
I tried iheart.com in the desktop version of Dolphin HD and it was fine except that when I zoomed as you suggested, the short menu on the left side of the page stayed no matter where I moved through the page. I am using Flash 10.3. When I tried to look at the mobile version of the site, a screen came up saying that I had to install a separate app, which I didn't try.

For me, wasn't much of a problem.

BTW, there is a Dolphin add-on called "Desktop Toggles" which switches from desktop to mobile versions of the browser. 99% of the time, I use the desktop mode on the VTAB, but once in a while the mobile version works better.

I'd like to know if anyone has done a reasonably thorough study of Flash 10.3 vs 11.1, and, if so, what are the benefits/drawbacks to each?

Answering my own question, I went on Adobe's website and found the release notes for 11.1. According to those notes, 11.1 has not been optimized for or tested with any browser except the Android stock browser. The notes say that most of the changes in 11.1 are security-related. I'd say that, if you try 11.1 and are happy with it, that's great, but, for most of us Dolphin users, you might want to wait until Adobe gets around to making it work with Dolphin.

GringoDog

Oct 28, 2011
Dophin -beta did not work with all sites. Crashed and stalled too much to continue messing with it.

When Dolphin did it's most recent update, it did get better. Noticeably faster and less crashes. The text not being in the box thing is still there and still problematic. I messed with Angel browser for a few minutes, which seems less 'simple' than Dolphin (I mean that in a good way). I admit I gave up in frustration mostly because I had been so happy with Dolphin.

I agree with the PP who wished he/she had the choice to go back to Gingerbread. I was totally happy with my Vtab and GB. Now, not so happy.

If anyone has suggestions on another browser to try, I'm open. I may just have to go back to the stock browser, and give up my beloved and frequently used gestures.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
I've talked to Vizio about every other day after my VTAB1008 was updated to Vizio Honeycrud.

At the end of this month I'm going to try and have it replaced under warranty because of repeatable problems with the Adobe Flash Player that they shipped with the unit and that worked great before their update to HC.

The last time I talked to Vizio I told them I don't use it for any of the programs I used to use it for. All I do with it now with it is use it to complain about it.

Just side load 11.1. I had the same issues. Finally someone on the blog explained how to do it. Go to web google flash 11.1 apk. download it and save it. Then email yourself and attach the saved program. Open the email on the tablet click on the attachment, then use download manger, packet. it downloads you open it it installes, bingo.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
By the way, after I got flash 11.1 on, Sirus XM worked and i have had no issues with anything, except flash keeps trying to install a newer version. I suspect after a while I will download the latest version and install it. Mine is only three weeks old.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
Oh my first reply do NOT use packet installer, use download manager. I left out the not.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Kemper said:
By the way, after I got flash 11.1 on, Sirus XM worked and i have had no issues with anything, except flash keeps trying to install a newer version. I suspect after a while I will download the latest version and install it. Mine is only three weeks old.

Try these steps out and tell me what happens with the flash 11.1+.

1. Start Dolphin Browser HD.

2. Go to the URL www.youtube.com/?nomobile=1

3. Tap on any video that is around a minute long and if you get the "Select an option" message then select "Dolphin Browser HD".

4. After the video starts to play in the "Dolphin Browser HD" tap on it to pause it.

Now how many taps on the video does it take to restart it?

FYI with version 10.3 of the flash player and Vizio Honeycomb tapping on the video will never restart the video so you have to look for something else to tap on before you can restart the video by tapping on it.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Roger2008 said:
Try these steps out and tell me what happens with the flash 11.1+.

1. Start Dolphin Browser HD.

2. Go to the URL www.youtube.com/?nomobile=1

3. Tap on any video that is around a minute long and if you get the "Select an option" message then select "Dolphin Browser HD".

4. After the video starts to play in the "Dolphin Browser HD" tap on it to pause it.

Now how many taps on the video does it take to restart it?

FYI with version 10.3 of the flash player and Vizio Honeycomb tapping on the video will never restart the video so you have to look for something else to tap on before you can restart the video by tapping on it.

Oh boy, I just had to try the above myself and oddly enough the Flash 11.1.111.6 APK was still in my downloads folder after a reset to factory settings so I used Astro File Manager to install it again.

That Flash Player works pretty well in Dolphin Browser HD but try the same steps above with the standard Android Browser instead and the only way you will be able to see the youtube video is in fullscreen then it will update the screen real slow.

But the 11.1.111.6 Flash Player in the Dolphin Browser HD playing youtube videos still does not work as well as 10.3 did in both browsers before the Honeycomb update.

Last edited:

simplysteph

May 30, 2012
Hi fishtank, did you manage to find a solution for viewing public folders in Outlook web access?
I've got a samsung tab but just found this thread through a google search looking for help. Have tried the native browser, Firefox, Dolphin, Opera but all of these log into OWA fine but just can't view the public folders. thanks

Fishtank

Nov 30, 2011
simplysteph said:
Hi fishtank, did you manage to find a solution for viewing public folders in Outlook web access?
I've got a samsung tab but just found this thread through a google search looking for help. Have tried the native browser, Firefox, Dolphin, Opera but all of these log into OWA fine but just can't view the public folders. thanks

Dolphin for pad. It has its own quirks, but it does get the public folders in OWA.