Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Can't get new ROM on...

KDOG

Dec 29, 2010
Well just about bricked this thing a bit ago. Major panic there for a while. Yikes Luckily it just reverted back to stock ( I don't know how, I didn't do it ) and I just did a basic root on it and am putting it the way I had it. I don't know how I'm messing it up. I'm using Winimage like I'm supposed to but when I direct it to the folder where I opened/extracted stuff on, theres nothing there. I think I should wait till someone comes up with a final HC build in a nice idiot-proof package that even I can't screw up. I'm done for the time being.

revenge8

Feb 10, 2011
which ROM are you trying to place on your NC? Looks like your saying HC there.. is that correct?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yes let us know which Rom you are trying to install and we can help you. I would stay away from Honeycomb roms for now. You should probably install a Rom via Clockwork Recovery internally or by booting it from an sdcard.

KDOG

Dec 29, 2010
Well let me clear that up, no its not an HC. I tried a nookiefroyo rom (.68) and CM7. it ignored nf .68 and trying CM7 almost bricked it. My mind is scrambled right now and I think I'll just hang back until a final CM release comes out (or even a HC later) and then have someone who knows what their doing do it for me even if I have to throw 'em a 10 spot or something. (Someone could make a MINT off of people like me doing that LOL)

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Well first, do you have clockwork recovery installed on your device? That would be a good prerequisite to installing one of those roms. You want to have a backup made through clockwork before attempting to install a rom. If you do not have the correct or updated version of CWR, CM7 will not work. So...

-What version of nooter are you on?
-Did you read the how to and install clockwork recovery?
-Did you make a backup with clockwork recovery?
-What version of Rom manager and clockwork recovery do you have?
-After we know these answers then we can guide you on installing a Rom.

armyjeffries

Feb 23, 2011
I was just about to start a thread like this. Instead I'll do a little thread-jacking to keep threads down.

Before I had gotten the NC I did some research and decided to go with CM7, and nightlies. I created the CWR from 4gb sd card, and compiled the necessary files to flash it. I created a completely stock backup from CWR from sd (clockwork 3.0.0.6), then flashed latest CM7. Tried it out for awhile, but decided I wanted something with flash.

I can't seem to flash anything else now. I was trying to go with phiremod beta2. I loaded the zip onto the clockwork sd, and flashed away. My NC gets hung up at the android screen. I flashed back to my backup of CM7. And everything was fine. I tried re-flashing a few times, all to the same thing. I then tried to follow the write-up to remove CM7 (including the removal-clockwork.zip, and repartition-boot-with-stock.zip) and the nook got stuck on the "n" screen. I then tried to flash a nook-complete-restore-1.0.1.zip from the same clockwork sd card. The NC still gets hung up on the "n" screen. (after each hang-up, I've restored my CM7 backup.)

I then tried installing CWR 3.0.1.0 to memory from rom manager from my CM7, and tried flashing the same zips from there (because I read that cwr 3.0.1.0 supported both ext3 and ext4), still gets hung up on either android or n screen.

I also restored my original backup (bone stock, no root even.), and auto-nootered it. That seemed to work, but I didnt like the "nook-style" ROM, as I'm so used to froyo from my phone. Once on autonooter3.0.0 (as my original backup showed I have 1.1.0), I tried flashing phiremod again (still using the 3.0.0.6 clockwork sd) and am still hanging up.

I also tried (for a VERY brief moment) the nookie froyo bootable SD, but I really want an eMMC rom, because my sandisk sds are only class 4.

Here are a few of the things that I thought may be the problem. I think my clockwork sd (again, 3.0.0.6), may not support phiremod. Or it may have something to do with my original 1.1.0 version, since i tried complete nook restore for 1.0.1. I'm not really sure. I still have both backups (original and CM7) on my computer, so I can get back to those if needed. I see that cm7-13 is out now, so I may give it a shot, but I was having problems with certain apps running (like root explorer, and I couldn't download skins for beautiful widgets) so I'd really like to give phiremod a try.

Hopefully i was detailed enough (and not too much.) And thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. I cant start a new tread if this thread-jack is unacceptable.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Armyjeffries....which version of recovery do you have currently installed now then? and also do you have the latest Rom Manager installed?

armyjeffries

Feb 23, 2011
Right now, on my CM7 backup, I have 3.0.1.0 internally, and a boot sd that has 3.0.0.6
And i'm not sure on the Rom manager, I think it was on it when I installed cm-encore-12, however, I did install cw 3.0.1.0 from it.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Try putting phiremod on a non-bootable clean sdcard and use your internal recovery (3.0.1.0) to install it. 3.0.1.0 is suppose to work. Your bootable 3.0.0.6 will probably not work for beta2.

*edit: 3.0.0.5 CWR is what I used to flash phiremod beta2 a couple weeks ago. You may have to grab that image from here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html and install beta2 with that.

Last edited:

armyjeffries

Feb 23, 2011
OK, I'll try installing from 3.0.1.0 first (although I think I already tried that, however, I'm not sure at this point.)

The link shows a zip for clockwork 3.0.0.5 as a zip. If I install that from the sd card through rom manager, will that overwrite clockwork 3.0.1.0? And if not, do I flash the remove-clockwork.zip first, and then flash 3.0.0.5? Or can I make a bootable sd with 3.0.0.5?

armyjeffries

Feb 23, 2011
Well let me clear that up, no its not an HC. I tried a nookiefroyo rom (.68) and CM7. it ignored nf .68 and trying CM7 almost bricked it. My mind is scrambled right now and I think I'll just hang back until a final CM release comes out (or even a HC later) and then have someone who knows what their doing do it for me even if I have to throw 'em a 10 spot or something. (Someone could make a MINT off of people like me doing that LOL)

People are doing that in sorts. But in the bootable ROM form. Check out all the *scam artists* selling bootable sd card roms for WAY too much considering the price of a 4-8gb card (regardless of what class card it is.)

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
OK, I'll try installing from 3.0.1.0 first (although I think I already tried that, however, I'm not sure at this point.)

The link shows a zip for clockwork 3.0.0.5 as a zip. If I install that from the sd card through rom manager, will that overwrite clockwork 3.0.1.0? And if not, do I flash the remove-clockwork.zip first, and then flash 3.0.0.5? Or can I make a bootable sd with 3.0.0.5?

Just put the zip for 3.0.0.5 on the root of your sdcard then open rom manager. Flash clockwork recovery (old). It should then say 3.0.0.5 and then select reboot in recovery from rom manager. It should say 3.0.0.5 in recovery menu. From there wipe data and cache and try installing beta 2.

sent from my rooted nook color

armyjeffries

Feb 23, 2011
OK, i did that, however, when I wiped data/factory reset, it froze. Shut off, rebooted, it rebooted back to cw. wiped cache, and installed phiremod. When selecting reboot now, it just reboots straight back into cw 3.0.0.5.

Maybe i have a bad download of phiremod??

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
OK, i did that, however, when I wiped data/factory reset, it froze. Shut off, rebooted, it rebooted back to cw. wiped cache, and installed phiremod. When selecting reboot now, it just reboots straight back into cw 3.0.0.5.

Maybe i have a bad download of phiremod??

Yes make sure the rom downloaded in its entirety. Then try wiping data and cache again before install.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Let me know if that works. Also does it give u any errors when installing phiremod? Are u sure u have the beta2 file and not v2 rom file? I would follow phiredrops installation instructions for beta2 from his xda post.

*edit if u r on a low battery u may want to restore a backup and charge first.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk